Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    For more on the earlier Thors that Kirby worked on, this article gives some insight:

The Strange History of Jack Kirby's Three Thors - ComicsAlliance

That's definitely golden age Kirby style. So different from his silver age style. Reminds me of Lou Fine.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Not one of my favorites but i enjoyed it. Didn't like too much the paramedic secret id for Thor they created during this run but they had some cool villains like Thanos and Mangog plus there was even a Sub-mariner guest star issue which is another favorite of mine that hardly ever interacts with Thor. I also liked that Jane Foster another favorite reappeared and this time upgraded from nurse to doctor.
    Was it well regarded when it was first published? Was this time where Thor wasn't really considered a top tier character

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Let me know if this is the wrong thread for this question, but what do people think of Jurgen's run of Thor (the one right before Straczynski)?
    one of the best runs I have ever read.

the stuff with the Chalice, the Death of Odin, Destroyer, Reigning was simply great.

the characterization of Odin and Thor was amazing.

oh and that Shakespearean speech...

ahhhh good old times.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    one of the best runs I have ever read.

the stuff with the Chalice, the Death of Odin, Destroyer, Reigning was simply great.

the characterization of Odin and Thor was amazing.

oh and that Shakespearean speech...

ahhhh good old times.
    Okay cool, I might have to check it out. I've always been curious about the lead up to Ragnarok, I'm wondering it they will ever revisit Ragnarok again. I've always felt that it needed to be a Marvel wide event

Okay cool, I might have to check it out. I've always been curious about the lead up to Ragnarok, I'm wondering it they will ever revisit Ragnarok again. I've always felt that it needed to be a Marvel wide event
    IMO that’s not really what you will get. The Jurgens run and the Oeming Ragnarok story have minimal connections in my reading of them.

IMO that’s not really what you will get. The Jurgens run and the Oeming Ragnarok story have minimal connections in my reading of them.
    Really? I wonder why did they use Ragnarok then, you would have thought they would have saved that for a big event. I wonder if Bendis wanted him off the board so he could have used Sentry

Really? I wonder why did they use Ragnarok then, you would have thought they would have saved that for a big event. I wonder if Bendis wanted him off the board so he could have used Sentry
    Maybe we are talking at cross purposes. The 1998 volume of Thor consists of 85 issues. The first 79 are mostly a long story by Jurgens with multiple strands. I think it is worth reading but you will not find many references to an upcoming Ragnarök.

The last six are a Disassembled tie-in series about Ragnarök by Oeming which was the lead-in to the new Marvel status-quo dominated by the non-standard Avengers roster by Bendis. The jump from one writer to another is quite sudden and IMO very forced. Jurgens wasn't leading up to a Ragnarök event. His story was over.

Thor was cancelled after Disassembled. That seemed to be why Oeming's story was written. From my perspective it was a rushed job. Thor wasn't published again for three years when JMS was brought in as the main writer from the upcoming movie, to relaunch the books and revive the dead characters.

Mighty Member

Maybe we are talking at cross purposes. The 1998 volume of Thor consists of 85 issues. The first 79 are mostly a long story by Jurgens with multiple strands. I think it is worth reading but you will not find many references to an upcoming Ragnarök.

The last six are a Disassembled tie-in series about Ragnarök by Oeming which was the lead-in to the new Marvel status-quo dominated by the non-standard Avengers roster by Bendis. The jump from one writer to another is quite sudden and IMO very forced. Jurgens wasn't leading up to a Ragnarök event. His story was over.

Thor was cancelled after Disassembled. That seemed to be why Oeming's story was written. From my perspective it was a rushed job. Thor wasn't published again for three years when JMS was brought in as the main writer from the upcoming movie, to relaunch the books and revive the dead characters.
    I have to agree 100% with JK. Jurgens reigning was great but Oeming Ragnarok was one of the worst Thor stories I've ever read. It started to me the fall from grace of Thor as a respected powerhouse in the Marvel Universe. I mean having Captain America in Asgard fighting the Fenris Wolf and intimidating Thor enemies was inconceivable, before when writers like Roy Thomas, Lee himself and others wrote Thor, the Asgardians and their other races were kept apart from the rest of the Marvel heroes and the power levels were very separate between Asgardians and human heroes, only Hulk could approximate the strength on those levels. Thor 199 and 200 did for me the best Ragnarok story ever told.

Sorry I haven't been posting on the readathon thread. Life has gotten in the way but I intend to continue shortly.

Sorry I haven't been posting on the readathon thread. Life has gotten in the way but I intend to continue shortly.
    No problem buddy! I love the read-a-thon, but life does that at times.

BANNED

Firestorm and Thor

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Thor #234 Apr 1975
    "O, Bitter Victory!"
    Thor and a group of commandos sneak into Loki's camp at night, only to be captured;

When General Sawyer realizes that they've been captured,
    he realizes the only option left is a nuclear strike;
    At Avengers Mansion, Iron Man and Firelord team up to break the barrier;

Firelord flies to lead the army and rescue Thor;
    Thor challenges Loki to one-on-one combat with no weapons or spells.

Script by Gerry Conway, pencils by John Buscema, inks by Joe Sinnott

BANNED

A nice change of pace to have a duel without the use of weapons or spells..
    Journey into Mystery #85 Written by brothers Stan Lee and Larry Lieber and drawn by artists Jack Kirby and Dick Ayers introduces Thor's main nemesis, the norse god of mischief Loki.

https://www.comixology.com/Journey-I...9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

The story starts with our first look into Asgard, the home of the Norse gods where Loki was imprisoned by Thor and Odin inside of a tree for ages where he will remain until someone sheds a tear for him. Having gained control of the tree Loki causes a leave to fall into the eye of the god Heimdall, causing his eye to shed a tear and that frees him to go look for Thor on earth for revenge and cause all kinds of havoc.

Thor seems to recognize Loki but you get the impression that memories are not his but part of Donald Blake knowledge of mythology but Loki harbors a hatred for Thor that tells us that they have past history. Loki also mentions that Thor has not been on Asgard for ages and no one knows where he is. Loki says that before he was imprisoned he established a mental link with Thor's hammer and that's how he is able to track him to earth.

BANNED

Once introduced Loki challenges Thor to battle, after Loki has ran amock causing all kinds of trouble in the city Thor finally catches him neutralizes him and sends him back to Asgard to be taken prisoner again by Odin and the Norse gods.

In this story we only get a glimpse in one panel that shows Bifrost, the rainbow bridge and the first design of Asgard by artist Jack Kirby. The gods Heimdall and Odin have just very small cameos, in the case of Odin you just see a bearded figure with a helmet like Thor on just one of the final panels and Heimdal is just on a couple panels at the beginning so besides Loki, the introduction of the Norse Pantheon is very brief as most of the story develops on earth.

This comic was also adapted as a cartoon for the 60's Marvel animated show.

Loki would go on to become the most important villain in Thor stories, be featured as the main villain in the first issue of Marvel Comics superhero group The Avengers and the character would be eventually adapted on film by the Marvel Cinematic Universe and played by British actor Tom Hiddleston. The character of Loki would go to enjoy great popularity and become a very important part of the Thor and Avengers franchise of movies and is currently the protagonist of a streaming series for the Disney + platform that will launch November of this year.

Love-love-love the helmet the MCU Loki wears I want to see him wear it a lot on the Loki Disney+ series.

BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

The Mighty Mightor Vs. The Mighty Thor

BANNED

Batman and Thor
    "Ultimatum at the United Nations!"