Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    What a great idea, Thor-El!

I'd love to read along, but I'm already behind. Will see what I can do. But at least I can read your posts!
    Thanks, Rev! So happy to see you are joining in!

Mighty Member

Journey into Mystery #86 Written by brothers Stan Lee and Larry Lieber and drawn by artists Jack Kirby and Dick Ayers in November 1962 sees Thor confront Zarrko a would be tyrant ruler from the year 2262 in the first Thor time travel adventure.

https://www.comixology.com/Journey-I...9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

Earth has vanquished all weapons and scientists work only for the betterment of civilization. All but evil scientist Zarrko who wants to rule the future and invents a time machine with the intention of traveling back to the 20th century to retrieve a nuclear cobalt bomb with which to menace his future in order to become its ruler. Thor who at the time is helping the US military to test such weapon follows the madman thru time to recover the bomb and saves future civilization from the tyrant.

This issue has the second cameo appearance of Odin, king of the Norse gods, as Thor goes for guidance in recovering the stolen bomb. Odin is presented here as a giant image in the sky that reminds Thor that his hammer has the power of traveling thru time.

Last edited by Thor-El; 05-13-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Mighty Member

Thor also exhibits in this issue the power of super breath, being able to create hurricane force when he exhales. He also has the weakness presented since his first issue were loosing physical contact with his hammer Mjolnir for more than 60 seconds makes him revert to the helpless mortal form of Dr. Donald Blake.

Odin, father of Thor and Loki and king of the gods is played in the Marvel Cinematic universe by Oscar winner Sir Anthony Hopkins

Last edited by Thor-El; 05-13-2019 at 02:19 PM.

I am really enjoying this Thor read, Thor-El! Thank you again for posting all this!

Of interest, in the time sequence, "1991" and "2013" are listed. 1991 was a time of rampant variations of Marvel covers. 2013 was the date of "Days of Future Past" X-Men storyline in 1981.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I am really enjoying this Thor read, Thor-El! Thank you again for posting all this!

Of interest, in the time sequence, "1991" and "2013" are listed. 1991 was a time of rampant variations of Marvel covers. 2013 was the date of "Days of Future Past" X-Men storyline in 1981.
    LOL, that's right! Who would have known back then!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Great post!!! Thank you for posting this! And we needed for sure to have Kirby's voice here as the other creative half of Thor. He never gets enough credit, I wish we could have a video of him talking about his creation like Stan Lee. I've been also meaning to check Roy Thomas Kirby Collector to see if I can find something more about him.
    That was where I went to get the longer text of that TV interview. Kirby was frustratingly quiet in media. He was clearly a very deep thinker and a major theme of his work was that fascinating intersection between humanity and deity.

The other part of the original Thor creation that perhaps gets lost because of a lack of interviews is the similarities with Fawcett’s Captain Marvel. Kirby did a bit of moonlighting for Fawcett and also was the lead artist on one of the key special issues. There are a number of times (which we will see in these first few issues) where Blake changes in a flash and confuses people standing next to him, a move straight from the Captain Marvel play book. Captain Marvel was also a woman’s man like Thor, unlike their respective alter egos. That early idea of two personalities somehow combined was an important part of the early books.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I don't care if I have to stay up till dawn, tonight. I'm definitely catching up on my Thor reading so I can post along!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    That was where I went to get the longer text of that TV interview. Kirby was frustratingly quiet in media. He was clearly a very deep thinker and a major theme of his work was that fascinating intersection between humanity and deity.

The other part of the original Thor creation that perhaps gets lost because of a lack of interviews is the similarities with Fawcett’s Captain Marvel. Kirby did a bit of moonlighting for Fawcett and also was the lead artist on one of the key special issues. There are a number of times (which we will see in these first few issues) where Blake changes in a flash and confuses people standing next to him, a move straight from the Captain Marvel play book. Captain Marvel was also a woman’s man like Thor, unlike their respective alter egos. That early idea of two personalities somehow combined was an important part of the early books.
    You seem to know a lot about Kirby, its very nice to have you commenting. I started my Thor reading with John Buscema and used to find Kirby an acquired taste but thru the years I've come to appreciate Kirby and regard him as what he really is, the true KING of comics!

Mighty Member

I don't care if I have to stay up till dawn, tonight. I'm definitely catching up on my Thor reading so I can post along!
    Preach it sister!!!

Mighty Member

Journey into Mystery #87 is written by Stan Lee and Larry Lieber and drawn by Jack Kirby and Dick Ayers. It was published in December 1962.

https://www.comixology.com/Journey-I...N1bHRzU2xpZGVy

In this story the enemy much like issue #84 is communism. In issue #84 Dr. Blake traveled to the fictitious island of San Diablo and this time Dr. Blake is abducted and taken into the Soviet Union. The soviets are hypnotizing american scientists and making it seem as if they are defecting into the USSR when in truth they are being kidnapped in order to make them work for the Soviet Union.

Dr. Don Blake volunteers to the US military to serve as bait in order for Thor to discover the mystery of how and why are these american scientists defecting and joining the soviets. By faking being developing a new virus for germ warfare Dr. Blake becomes person of interest for the soviets. Once Blake has been hypnotized and brought inside the USSR and after joining the other kidnapped american scientists it becomes easy task for the thunder god to free them by using his powers and completely destroying the fortress where the Americans have been abducted. Once free, rebel forces inside the Soviet Union take them into a ship that transports them back to the United States.

There are several powers that Thor displays in this issue. It shows his hammer has the ability to spin and create shock waves powerful enough to shatter stone walls, also by rubbing his hands against the hammer he can create intense friction that emits blinding sparks. Swinging his hammer he can use it to dig an underground tunnel. He can also summon a thunder and lightning storm capable of leveling a fortress.

On the romantic side Jane keeps growing more infatuated with Thor and less with Dr. Blake.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 05-14-2019 at 10:33 PM.

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 83

I didn't realize the Thor story was one of a several in this book. It's much shorter than I had thought -- but crammed full of story and goodness.

It's interesting to see Donald Blake being the dominant personality, even when transformed into superhuman Thor.

Thor's helmet, of course, isn't so much Norse, as it is Wagner / Victorian. For some reason, I was fixated on the point. It reminds me a little of the Bismark helmet. I wonder if that was a conscious choice on Kirby's part?

Yes, the Kirby art hasn't quite settled into his superhero style yet, as you pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hello my friend!

Great thread. It is fun to do a read-a-thon of a favorite character. I have always loved those early, original stories that sometimes feel so far removed of the characters of today, some 50, almost 60 years later.

I always wondered if there was a link between the Stone Men of Saturn and the Thing? The Stone Men seem much larger and stronger get than Thing, especially back in those early days, so I always chuckled when Thing would fight Thor thinking he would win. Even without his godly strength, in one fight Thor still did well against Thing.
    An interesting point. It wouldn't be a stretch to postulate that Saturn was hit by Cosmic Rays. Especially since the Saturn Stone Men must have picked up English from our TV and radio transmissions. ;p
    Last edited by Reviresco; 05-14-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 84

Another packed 13 pages! Though there were a few things that reminded me of other Marvel stories coming out / that had come out.

Second issue where Thor wants to use a lever. Still hasn't named the hammer.

Soooo, why is Blake's ability to transform into Thor a big secret? He still strikes me as Blake, whether transformed or not -- though his language as Thor is changing.

And some more additions to Thor's abilities.

Jane would be upgraded to Dr. Jane Foster in Thor volume 3 by writer Dan Jurgens and eventually even be able to wield Mjolnir and turn into a female Thor and replace the proper Thor and carry the title on her own for awhile.
    Jane Foster is an astro physicist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and is played by Oscar winner Natalie Portman opposite to Chris Hemsworth who plays Thor.

Yep, this is the Jane I remember and was thoroughly unimpressed with.

Mighty Member

Yep, this is the Jane I remember and was thoroughly unimpressed with.
    LOL, seems like Jane is an acquired taste for some people. I happen to love her. Not wanting her to replace Thor of course but the brave Jane that is a romantic interest to Thor and that represents us humans in a world of gods. And if she happens to look as good as Natalie Portman even better!

You seem to know a lot about Kirby, its very nice to have you commenting. I started my Thor reading with John Buscema and used to find Kirby an acquired taste but thru the years I've come to appreciate Kirby and regard him as what he really is, the true KING of comics!
    Only really what I have gleaned from Kirby Collector and the Kirby Museum website and from finding his ideas fascinating as he expresses them in the comics. As and when it is relevant I will try and chip in with Kirby relevant stuff that I have picked up along the way.

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 84

Another packed 13 pages! Though there were a few things that reminded me of other Marvel stories coming out / that had come out.

Second issue where Thor wants to use a lever. Still hasn't named the hammer.

Soooo, why is Blake's ability to transform into Thor a big secret? He still strikes me as Blake, whether transformed or not -- though his language as Thor is changing.

And some more additions to Thor's abilities.
    Yes, this is always the stand out thing that people notice about the earliest comics. They were still finding their way with what it all meant at this stage. He was kind of Blake back then. A Blake transformed into an idealised god figure, wielding the power of that god. Things slowly begin to change, starting with Loki showing up, which begs questions, then a few things we will see as we go along that also make things odd and in need of clarification. In many ways this is pre-retcon Thor, or at least that's how I think of him. But again there are more timely moments to bring that stuff up.

In general this stuff is why I like Thor. You can see Lee and Kirby wresting with who the character is on the page. Then a few other things make them choose a path. I don't care a jot about the Lee Kirby spat, (aside from natural justice) they worked amazingly well together and when they agreed on things they made the whole Marvel Universe sing.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-15-2019 at 11:47 AM.