Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Talking Happy Thor's Day!

Journey into Mystery #116 May 1965
    "The Trial of the Gods!"
    Odin sends Thor and Loki to Skornheim to endure the Trial of the Gods

which will show which one of his sons is lying to him;
    Against Odin's decree, Loki uses magic to escape the traps of the enchanted land

while Thor has to rely on brawn and sheer will.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby and Carl Hubbell, inks by Vince Colletta and Carl Hubbell

BANNED

Thor #176 May 1970
    "Inferno!"
    Loki has seized the Odinring, making him the ruler of all of Asgard,
    and Thor is forced into loyalty to his half-brother to insure that Sif remains unharmed.
    However in spite of this, Thor argues that he will someday soon stop his mad brother,
    to which Loki decrees that Thor be sequestered to the dungeons forever more,
    and guards attempt to take Thor away. Spying on the situation, the Warriors Three
    come out of hiding upon learning the news and battle Loki's loyal guards.
    However they are soon overpowered and imprisoned themselves.

Meanwhile in the outskirts of Asgard, two riding soldiers come across a flaming sigel in the shape of Odin's mark.
    Upon their discovery of it it suddenly erupts in a giant explosion.
    While back in Asgard proper, Thor and the Warriors Three are locked in a cell
    although the guards have a slight difficulty fitting Volstagg through the door.
    They are left to their own and wonder how they might escape and overthrow Loki's rule
    when Balder arrives in the dungeon and sets them free. Broken out of their cell,
    Thor and the Warriors Three team up with Balder to go and save Sif.

While upstairs, Loki asks Sif to be his bride, a request which she declines.
    For her refusal, Loki forces her to do battle with a female troll.
    While back at the magical flames, the warriors stare in absolute horror as Surtur,
    finally free of his imprisonment by Odin rises from the flames and appears in Asgard.

The fire demon has decided that he will destroy first Asgard, then
    the entire universe, marking his arrival by setting the very sky ablaze.

Back at the palace, Sif battles the female troll until Thor and the others arrive to put a stop to the fight.
    Loki is once more challenged.
    However he stays his opponents weapons once more when he uses a enchanti-screen
    to show them that he has plased Odin in a capsule and sent it to the Sea of Eternal Night,
    a realm that for those who enter it, sleep for all eternity.
    With no way for Odin to awake from his Odinsleep,
    Loki boasts that he will rule the kingdom forever.

Before Thor and the others can attack Loki, Surtur announces his impending arrival and begins showering Asgard with flames.
    When Loki realizes Surturs power he flees like the coward he is, leaving Thor, Sif, Balder and the Warriors Three to band together.

While Thor and the Warriors Three rally troops to battle Surtur, the Thunder God sends Balder and Sif on a mission to wake Odin.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Vince Colletta

BANNED

I'd love to see Surtur return and battle Thor and Thordis in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

BANNED

Thor #235 May 1975
    "Who Lurks Beyond the Labyrinth!"
    Thor is upset about Jane Foster's condition;
    But while he is sulking, the Absorbing Man is stalking him;

Hercules and Sif find Kamo Tharnn, but he refuses to help and attacks;
    Back on Earth, the Absorbing Man sneaks up behind Thor while he is focused on Jane,

and absorbs the power of Mjolnir, and begins mopping the floor with Thor;

Hercules knocks out Kamo Tharnn and takes the Runestaff back to Earth.

Script by Gerry Conway, pencils by John Buscema, inks by Joe Sinnott

BANNED

The Absorbing Man is another one of Thor's rogues gallery that is to debut in the MCU as soon as possible!

BANNED

Thor #355 May 1985
    "The Icy Hearts (or My Dinners With Thor!)"
    After surviving an avalanche, Thor is nursed back to health by an old Norseman who reminds him very much of his father.

Brief appearances by Hogun, Fandral and Volstagg

Script by Walter Simonson, art by Sal Buscema
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 01-14-2021 at 06:44 AM.

BANNED

In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Odin is also gone It will be nice to see how the MCU Valkyrie will rule Asgard in his stead in 2022.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Odin is also gone It will be nice to see how the MCU Valkyrie will rule Asgard in his stead in 2022.
    That is simply terrible from the MCU. I hope Odin gets resurrected like so many times in the comics. I have zero interest in an Asgard ruled by freaking Valkirie. Valkirie is a great character and I love Tessa Thompson as the character but I love more Anthony Hopkins as Odin and Rene Russo as Frigga, she needs to come back too. I hope The Eternals give a glimpse at how resurrections work in immortals and that leads to the return of Odin and Frigga for a proper Asgard. Same thing with the Warriors Three and Heimdall!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Man. I need to get back to all the re-reads I wanted to last year.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

To update this thread, I've continue reading those first Thor issues on my own. I'm up to Journey Into Mystery #98. Some of these issues have the artwork being pencilled and inked by Joe Sinnot which is nice. Those have a vibe and clean line of the old Archie Comics. The introduction of some classic villains too like the Radioactive Man (Jack Kirby) , the Lava Man (kirby and Heck) and the Cobra (don Heck) in issue 98.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Man. I need to get back to all the re-reads I wanted to last year.
    Rev, glad to see you here! I'm trying to read two Thor issues every night before Love and Thunder comes out. Trying to get all the Kirby material and part of John Buscema and then jumping straight into Jason Aaron. The Masterworks from Comixology with their guided view projected on a big screen TV from my phone app thru Chromecast makes it very enjoyable.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Rev, glad to see you here! I'm trying to read two Thor issues every night before Love and Thunder comes out. Trying to get all the Kirby material and part of John Buscema and then jumping straight into Jason Aaron. The Masterworks from Comixology with their guided view projected on a big screen TV from my phone app thru Chromecast makes it very enjoyable.
    I really need to do something like that. I hate reading on my computer, but I could hook it up to the TV ....
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Thor #417 May 1990
    "Only Death Can Save Thee"
    During his fall, Eric Masterson manages to get his cane in front of him
    and transforms into Thor the instant he hits the ground;
    The Dark Dweller leaves with Susan, causing Hercules to regain his self-control;
    They go after the Dweller and Hercules is once more in his thrall as soon as they get close;

Thor uses lightning to hurt the Dweller

and sends him screaming into the sun.

Script by Tom DeFalco (plot; script) and Ron Frenz (plot), pencils by Ron Frenz (layouts), inks by Joe Sinnott (finished art

BANNED

Were Hercules to debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, can the rest of the Olympian race be far behind?

BANNED

Superman and Thor
    "The Mystery of Thor-El!"