Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 79
  1. #31
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Reminds me of the 90s when Batman was DC’s only marketable character. Morrison on GL, Bendis on Superman, and Johns on Shazam and none of them can break the top 10.
    Such sad (and obvious) point you've just made. But then it seems to me that Top10 is now only for events and specials, not for floppies.
    And yes, DC is making mistakes, but also, can they fight back with Marvel -considering Marvel's constant flooding of market.

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    Such sad (and obvious) point you've just made. But then it seems to me that Top10 is now only for events and specials, not for floppies.
    And yes, DC is making mistakes, but also, can they fight back with Marvel -considering Marvel's constant flooding of market.
    How many Batman titles do DC publish right now? If there is flooding, there is such from both DC and Marvel, though it looks slightly different. At least Marvel is trying for a greater variety of styles and content in their offerings, something that DC only recently has started to get around to.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  3. #33
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    41,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    That said, it is interesting characters like Ms Marvel or Carol Danvers sell trades better than Batman. Do you have a source for this information? I guess I can look for these numbers, but it would be more difficult to compare, since they are released in different months.

    If Carol Danvers and Ms Marvel has so good sales, why Marvel constantly relaunch their books?
    Probably because:

    A. They have marketing and commercial incentive with those characters even if Carol can't carry a floppy run to save her life most of the time and Kamala's sales in her prior volume started a downturn after Civil War II.

    B. Their trade sales offset their low floppy sales.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If you look at trade sales-you would be SHOCKED at who else beats Batman. Carol Danvers, Ms Marvel & Jane Foster have been doing it for the last 5 years. The women of Marvel have done it way more consistently than the men.
    Had no idea, very surprising. Maybe because the fans of these characters are not part of the usual comic shop clientele then and so would read either digital or trades.

  5. #35
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    978

    Default

    April sales are here:

    https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...ics-april-2019


    I'm surprised Detective Comics #1000 still sell 45,737 copies in April.

  6. #36
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,846

    Default

    How did Immortal Hulk go from 53K in March to 90K in April.

  7. #37
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    41,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    How did Immortal Hulk go from 53K in March to 90K in April.
    I'd hesitantly assume a variant cover had something to do with it.

  8. #38
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd hesitantly assume a variant cover had something to do with it.
    I think it had some buzz about a first appearance, a return of a character, and yes I much sought after variant. May's numbers will tell more.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If you look at trade sales-you would be SHOCKED at who else beats Batman. Carol Danvers, Ms Marvel & Jane Foster have been doing it for the last 5 years. The women of Marvel have done it way more consistently than the men.
    I wouldn't be that shocked. Pure speculation, but I'd think if everyone is buying the Batman comic books then they would have no reason to buy a trade since they already own it. But if no one is buying Captain Marvel for example, then there would be more people with incentive to buy her trades.
    Save Ferris...

  10. #40
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    I wouldn't be that shocked. Pure speculation, but I'd think if everyone is buying the Batman comic books then they would have no reason to buy a trade since they already own it. But if no one is buying Captain Marvel for example, then there would be more people with incentive to buy her trades.
    It is also not really the same. Once you get into trades, Batman has a lot more competition from itself. There are so many classic Batman books that people will be buying. Those other characters are not moving volume after volume either, it is people new or curious picking up a first volume to check it out. Batman Rebirth Vol 7 might not be hard to beat, but Killing Joke or Court of Owls or whatever else is probably still outselling those others every year.

  11. #41

    Default

    OK, here's something I think is interesting. I did some number crunching of the APRIL 2019 TOP 500 COMICS and put together a chart for AVERAGE SALES BY COMPANY.

    Looking at it, we can see that the company with the highest average sales per title is DC, not Marvel. Maybe this is why DC has cut its production.

    Yes, it affected the market because it shrunk the overall pie (although Marvel's increase offset that a bit), but it doesn't make sense for a major company to publish lots of low-selling titles just to get a higher market share number. Marvel is publishing lots of low sellers just to get that market share.

    Each company has to have its own business strategy, I guess, but Marvel's excesses are dragging down its per-title average.

    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 05-13-2019 at 02:09 PM.

  12. #42
    Mighty Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    So Batgod wins again basically, it never fails to amaze me how 1 character can be so dominant.

  13. #43
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I think it had some buzz about a first appearance, a return of a character, and yes I much sought after variant. May's numbers will tell more.
    There's reorder activity throughout the whole run too across the top 500. Seems to be getting a lot of praise as a quality book to be reading at the minute which I imagine caught a lot of people out. Always good to see a book pick up readers as it goes along rather than shedding them.

  14. #44
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    So Batgod wins again basically, it never fails to amaze me how 1 character can be so dominant.
    Just remember, those numbers aren't sales to individual readers.

    They're the number of copies ordered by comic book shops in (primarily) the U.S., and store owners may be more willing to risk over-buying a Bat-book than, say, Terrifics.
    (And also don't forget, comic books ordered through Diamond Distribution are normally non-returnable if they don't sell.)

  15. #45
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Just remember, those numbers aren't sales to individual readers.

    They're the number of copies ordered by comic book shops in (primarily) the U.S., and store owners may be more willing to risk over-buying a Bat-book than, say, Terrifics.
    (And also don't forget, comic books ordered through Diamond Distribution are normally non-returnable if they don't sell.)
    True. Although the shops should still based their order in the popularity they saw.

    Now, these numbers are still comics that the shops bought to DC (and, as you say, non-returnable). So, these are an income for DC where Batman is totally dominant.
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-13-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •