BANNED

Default SO Given how Avengers Endgame changes how we view time travel: What's next ?

So given how Avengers Endgame tries to redefine how we view time travel: How will Marvel comics react to this going forward ?

Extraordinary Member

I predict time travel will continue to have no coherent rules, be arbitrary in its effects, and sometimes either change the future or spin off an alternate reality or both, depending on whatever the plot needs.

I agree with gurkle completely, but I am curious: why do you think Endgame changes how we view time travel? It seemed pretty much bog-standard time travel to me. I mean, standard as in "it does whatever the plot needs it to do." But nothing in it surprised me in the sense of "OMG, nobody has ever thought of that before!!!"
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

The movie isn't going to change how we view time travel; we've always had different models depending on the fictional world, or even the story in question. Heck, Endgame's model has been used before (or at least variants).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I predict time travel will continue to have no coherent rules, be arbitrary in its effects, and sometimes either change the future or spin off an alternate reality or both, depending on whatever the plot needs.
    Nailed it. I find it amusing that OP thinks Endgame is going to somehow “definitively change” time travel.

Isn't Endgame's rule of time travel basically the same thing that happened with the time-displaced O5 X-Men? If they hadn't returned unchanged, then it would have been an alternate universe, but since they were (and their minds were wiped) then they turned out to be the actual past versions of themselves. Whereas in other cases where people travel back in time to stop a disaster, they end up just creating a new timeline where the disaster doesn't happen.