Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Is Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive Still in Continuity

(Spoilers for the arcs in question incoming)

In the climax fo Bruce Wayne: Fugitive, it is revealed that Lex Luthor ordered the assassination of Bruce Wayne girlfriend at the time, Vesper Fairchild. Recent events that occured in DC: Rebirth contradict the outcome of this aforementioned storyline, most importantly Dan Jurgens's Action Comics in which Lex Luthor becomes a superhero. If the Bruce Wayne: Murderer? And Bruce Wayne: Fugitive arcs respectively still occured in the Rebirth timeline, then why would Batman tolerate this?

Do note that I have not read Jurgens's Action run, but I have experienced Luthor and Wayne interact in the No Justice event, which arises my suspicions.

I don't even know what continuity is anymore. Nothing is canon until it is seems to be the current policy at the moment. So I would say no until it is.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I think it's more likely than not that those stories aren't in continuity, the main example being Cassandra as Batgirl plays a role in it, and she never became Batgirl in New 52/Rebirth. It's possible it could've happened just different in some way, but like they mentioned, basically nothing is in canon until they say it is so I would just go with that for now.

I don't think writers can even agree whether Lex being President is still canon or not.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Luthor became a superhero because he's inspired by the New 52 Superman's death, and before that, he's exonerated of any crime he committed in the past after saving the world from Crime Syndicate, after which he blackmailed his way to join the Justice League because he knew Batman's identity after putting it together from Dick Grayson's identity that was revealed by the Crime Syndicate.

Oh and... Vesper Fairchild or no, Luthor killed Dick to save him from the bomb he was strapped in, and both Bruce and Dick don't take kindly to that. Bruce fully expected him to betray the Justice League and Dick later found out he funded Spyral technology that can mind control people.

So they just... tolerate his existence. There's really nothing they can do.

I'm gonna call non-canon on this one.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-10-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think writers can even agree whether Lex being President is still canon or not.
    Lex being President is basically reality

Extraordinary Member

Since iirc David Cain was the Killer, and his history got completly changed by B&RE together with Cass, I would say non canon.

It's imo anyway appart from War Games, the worst of the big Batman events from the pre flashpoint continuity.

Hell, I sometimes wonder how much of Snyder's Batman run is "still in continuity".

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Since iirc David Cain was the Killer, and his history got completly changed by B&RE together with Cass, I would say non canon.

It's imo anyway appart from War Games, the worst of the big Batman events from the pre flashpoint continuity.
    I don't get this mindset, it's honestly one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hell, I sometimes wonder how much of Snyder's Batman run is "still in continuity".
    Snyder's books are definitely in continuity, given that a fairly big portion of Batman is still being written by him so he's obviously he's gonna have everything he did be connected, and King/Detective Comics have made reference to the major events from his series (Court Of Owls, Death In The Family, Zero Year, and Endgame).

I do have to give King credit that unlike most writers who've just been ignoring the continuity discrepancies, he's actually incorporated it as a continuous thematic element, most obviously with the whole "boat/street" thing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    For the thing just dragged on for ever with Batman just acting like a jerk, letting Sasha Bordeaux rot in prison and not even trying to solve the case. It is imo not even close to the previous long events like Knightfall and No Mans Land.

Empty is thy hand!

I loved it as a kid and as far as I'm concerned, it still holds up.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    For the thing just dragged on for ever with Batman just acting like a jerk, letting Sasha Bordeaux rot in prison and not even trying to solve the case. It is imo not even close to the previous long events like Knightfall and No Mans Land.
    Same here, Batman acts like a complete jerk to everyone for no real reason other than to sow doubt if he did it (which lets be honest there is no way he would have) that makes you wonder why they are even trying to help him

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Same here. You really get into Bruce's head in this story and you come to realize just what an ugly and damaged place it really is. Plus, you had some great Cassandra Cain moments, to boot.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Same here. You really get into Bruce's head in this story and you come to realize just what an ugly and damaged place it really is. Plus, you had some great Cassandra Cain moments, to boot.
    I really like Murderer?/Fugitive, too - however, I will say there are times when I just want to scream "Bruce, just ask someone for help already! You do this far too often where you go it alone, strike out, then come back for help and it gets better. Get a clue!!!" Along with War Games (as the above poster mentioned), it's a bit of a nadir for Bruce and him dealing with his family, and probably why Batman by Morrison v2 is one of my favorite stories - it's the antidote to that type of Bat-story. The BatFam parts of M/F are superb across the board, though, and it's just a really fun story with a lot of things going on - everyone's way of coping is just so pitch perfect
    Blue text denotes sarcasm