Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    The sales may increase for for a single issue but then drop and stay static.
    Then by definition they increase sales unless you think they were somehow going to go up without the relaunch. Even a temporary sales boost is a sales boost.

For the best part of 60 years the consistently numbered issues worked essentially flawlessly.
    They haven't worked flawlessly for decades. The medium was in danger before the direct market because newspaper stands weren't selling them. Then the direct market gave them more life, but it creates a huge barrier to entry. For a while, the trade market helped because it was more accessible, but that is too flooded now too. High numbers are a barrier to entry, the direct market is another. They're attempting to reduce those barriers by one. Especially since the reader isn't their customer, the comic book store is and they tend to buy new number 1s.

Honestly, I don't like them either. But, since I expect that they're inevitable, my only hope is to let a story play out before the relaunch. Once the story has concluded, a new relaunch is fine.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    . . . I must admit, though, I don’t like when there’s a renumbering with the same creative team. There should be new number ones when there’s someone new at the wheel.
    In general I agree, though I have no problem re-starting with a new #1 if the creative team is still the same but the direction will now be drastically changing (like when the Mark Waid/Chris Samnee run had Daredevil's identity publicly revealed and they moved the character for NYC to the West Coast).

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    I love relaunches and mini series. They are so convenient!

I can't stand the thought of jumping into a run at issue 683 or something. It bothers me.
    Didn't start reading comic books UNTIL closer to the 21st century I take it?

(When I was a kid we had to walk five miles barefoot in the snow to a store with a comic book spinner rack that may or may not get in an issue or two of a series! And there were no BACK ISSUES SECTION and no TRADE PAPERBACK COLLECTIONS!)

I can see the appeal of the renumbering. The renumbering with a new team or new direction works fine and is a way to get new readers and to set up a season / major story arc structure.

But, there is a confusion when you have multiple version of Fantastic Four number 1. This is where legacy numbering makes sense and may even be necessary. Volume numbers in the indicia are something else that can be used.

Panini UK uses volume numbers on the spines. The next issue of Deadpool Unleashed will be Vol 2 #1, for example. Some of their other titles (Essential X-Men, Astonishing Spider-Man) have had half a dozen volumes!

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    For me personally, I'm fine with relaunches if they story is going in a fairly different direction than before, or if there's a new creative team taking the helm. Because I've always thought those two are the perfection indications of good jumping on points.

Ms. Marvel getting a relaunch makes sense because its a new writer coming on board so its a more accurate new starting point. Coates' Black Panther and Zub's Champions are examples of books that shouldn't have gotten relaunched because they're still continuing the same story with the same creator, so its just done for that early boost.

So if Uncanny gets a new relaunch, it having a new writer won't be as bad to me as opposed if they restarted the numbering but still kept Rosenberg, because then its literally just a continuation.
    Champions should've relaunched last April when Zub took over, instead of waiting until January.

I totally agree about the same creative team thing. "Only our second #1 so far this year!" said Squirrel Girl in 2015. The book had only launched eight months prior and Secret Wars reset it's numbering. That was just ridiculous.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I dislike the practice but can you do about it.

they should relaunch every book with a new number 2
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'm surprised Deadpool hasn't.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    . . . Volume numbers in the indicia are something else that can be used.
    What Marvel should do is sticky the bloody volume number on the cover.
    It's a pain-in-the-posterior to have it inside the comic book when the book is bagged-and-boarded!

It hardly matters anymore anyway. The "Legacy" (original) number appears on the issue under the current volumes number. Everyone wins. Yippee.

You can bet that won't last forever. They did it before, in around 2004 (in the run up to Avengers 500). At some point the legacy numbers disappeared.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Or when to quit reading. Everyone wins!
    As long as readers are jumping onto another Marvel book.

I stopped following single isssues and collecting runs
    Because of how Marvel and D C have chosen to run
    There business. It took me time to realize the problem
    Was not with the supplier but With the old fart wanting
    Things to stay what was best and most comforting to him.
    He tried switching to collected editions and discovered a
    Re-newed enjoyment and passion for the characters and
    Stories. Now he has many books with many stories
    Waiting to be read and no longer has to wait months
    For a story to end and also no longer has to travel
    Each week for new comics, now he just logs on and has
    His books dropped off at his home

What I wish both Marvel and DC would do is put the story arc title/part number on the cover. It's so much more helpful getting to actually know what you're going to be reading, and realize ahead of time if you're about to jump into the middle of a story or not.

And the thing is, they did start doing this, DC through Rebirth and Marvel through Legacy, but then after a year and a half for DC, and less than a year for Marvel, they stopped for absolutely no reason.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    because it does increase sales and it doesn't affect the books and it isn't even confusing and it indicates jumping on points
    It totally puts me off buying any of their trades coz even the staff in the shop sent sure which volumes are in the same run anymore

Genuinely I rarely try any new book from marvel because of this very tactic

It at least indicates nice jumping off points for me, if any book I am reading does this, I just drop it

Save loads that way, cheers marvel

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    wouldn't describe my feelings as 'mad' about it i just find it annoying. Listing and organizing my collection can be a ball ache with constant restarts and new volumes. It is the variants that increase sales as mentioned previously as opposed to number 1 issues. Any issue can have a variant cover
    I've just given up trying to keep track so invariably I just drop titles

Down to three books from them now
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-11-2019 at 06:04 PM.