Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What Marvel should do is sticky the bloody volume number on the cover.
    It's a pain-in-the-posterior to have it inside the comic book when the book is bagged-and-boarded!
    Yeah, I'd like that too

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I feel having current numbering and legacy numbering is a great balance at the minute.
    Just feels like a new “season”.
    This.

Again: just think about TV series these days and how they label each season. Its the exact same thing.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

The only thing I hate is that it becomes really difficult to find a particular issue if you don't know which volume it belongs to. If I ask you if you read Captain Marvel #8, how would you figure out which one am I talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Or when to quit reading. Everyone wins!
    And this.

The most problematic is when a reader starts with #3 or 4 and, being a 'new comic reader' isn't familiar with all the things we take for granted, ends up ordering #1 and 2 from the wrong volume.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I find it necessary to look for both writer and year when ordering some trades because of the different creative runs on the same character
    and general title. More and more I am finding myself getting a book because of the writer than the character or team.
    There are just too many changes and writing styles I do not care for to just order a Fantastic Four or Amazing Spider-Man trade just because
    it has new material and I like them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    The only thing I hate is that it becomes really difficult to find a particular issue if you don't know which volume it belongs to. If I ask you if you read Captain Marvel #8, how would you figure out which one am I talking about.
    This really annoys me if I'm trying to complete a run with back issues,

Clear volumes or slight title changes would help and encourage me to get trade runs

I just don't bother with marvel trades anymore unless it's for a specific event or mini, and I almost never stay with a monthly if it reboots

I do understand their logic for it but that's really not my concern
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-12-2019 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I just don't bother with marvel trades anymore unless it's for a specific event or mini, and I almost never stay with a monthly if it reboots

I do understand their logic for it but that's really not my concern
    If you think about it...

If you like a book and it gets relaunched...
    Then that's an indication that what you like isn't what everybody else likes, and that the relaunch will most likely be something you don't like in an attempt to be something that they might like.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What Marvel should do is sticky the bloody volume number on the cover.
    It's a pain-in-the-posterior to have it inside the comic book when the book is bagged-and-boarded!
    I have solved this problem for myself by get a label printer and all of mine are now bagged, boarded, boxed and uniformly labelled. It was an exhaustive process but worth it to just quickly flick through and not have to hunt the issue number down. The 90s were the worst for this as some were just had the issue number on the bar code

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Just add the year as well.

(Hopefully there will not be two relaunches of the same title within the same calendar year)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    If you think about it...

Then that's an indication that what you like isn't what everybody else likes, and that the relaunch will most likely be something you don't like in an attempt to be something that they might like.
    If you like a book and it gets relaunched, but it has the same writer attached, then it's gonna be the same book you liked, just the numbering restarted, which is annoying but usually doesn't effect the overall quality.

But if a book gets relaunched with a new writer, then that usually means the previous writer finished their story, so now with a new person coming on you aren't gonna know for sure if you're gonna like it until you try it

Spectacular Member

from what i recall the most annoying of these restarts was uncanny avengers. You had 30ish issues of vol. 1, then just 5 of vol. 2, then another 30 or so for vol. 3. It is the arbitrary restarts that are more frustrating. I get it with a big relaunch '97 even the relaunch after secret wars but when you are 22 issues in and they restart again.
    comics will always be a market that is on the brink. In my 30+ years of collecting they have always struggled. It is what it is, people misunderstand comics as a general rule even with the cinematic success they have achieved. throwing out number 1s every few months isn't going to save the industry, more like a bandage until the next plan comes along. Hence variant covers, the increase in TPB sales, the constant events all attempts to revitalize something that will never be the golden egg they are hoping for. it is a niche market and always will be. Endgame may bring in 2 (potentially) 3 billion dollars at the box office but i can still name the people i know that read comics on 1 hand.

Astonishing Member

If you think about it...

Quite possibly

But that really isn't my concern nor something I really care about

It just means when I see a new book I haven't read before that's been created from a relaunch I don't punt on it, after all it likely means it's not a good seller, won't be around long or will endure another relaunch soonish

And likely will have a bumper priced first issue which I don't go for any more given how dissatisfied I've found marvels recent bumper priced first issue which imo were overpriced and just padded out

poor sellers don't get relaunches they get cancelled
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Just add the year as well.

(Hopefully there will not be two relaunches of the same title within the same calendar year)
    Spencer's Ant-Man would like a word, seriously though the year would help but not always.

If you think about it...

Oh, I would never have thought of it that way; great insight. I love long form story telling with years long worth of story-telling, but nowadays you barely see that at all. Hickman in mind was the last author with the Avengers who did that.

This is also true in regards to my love/hate relationship with the X-Men; loved Morrison, loved Whedon, and hated everything that came after save for Wolverine & the X-Men.

Ant-Man changed it's name when it relaunched though, to Astonishing Ant-Man. Several other books did have two #1s in the same year with the exact same name though. They have to refer to those as 2015A and 2015B.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    What I wish both Marvel and DC would do is put the story arc title/part number on the cover. It's so much more helpful getting to actually know what you're going to be reading, and realize ahead of time if you're about to jump into the middle of a story or not.

And the thing is, they did start doing this, DC through Rebirth and Marvel through Legacy, but then after a year and a half for DC, and less than a year for Marvel, they stopped for absolutely no reason.
    I know exactly what the reason was. Johns and Alonso left, and their replacements got rid of the Rebirth and Legacy branding.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman