Thread: Avengers 2.0

Incredible Member

Default Avengers 2.0

As discussed elsewhere, I'm sure, Marvel has recently announced major changes in status quo for the Captain America and Thor characters. I've also noticed the return of "Iron Lad" in the upcoming Avengers storyline, and that got me thinking about the inevitability of replacing actors in long-running franchises.

How likely is it that Captain Falcon, Lady Thor, and Iron Lad will be the core of the, say, fifth Avengers film?

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    As discussed elsewhere, I'm sure, Marvel has recently announced major changes in status quo for the Captain America and Thor characters. I've also noticed the return of "Iron Lad" in the upcoming Avengers storyline, and that got me thinking about the inevitability of replacing actors in long-running franchises.

How likely is it that Captain Falcon, Lady Thor, and Iron Lad will be the core of the, say, fifth Avengers film?
    I don't think it's likely they'll actually replace the characters in the movies. They've already replaced the Hulk. What they will /probably/ do, and I think is a wise course of action, is temporary replacements. We COULD see Sam Wilson or Bucky Caps, but I think it would be for a single movie or two /while/ they're recasting the originals, with the idea being to create some space between the portrayals and allow for them to come back in a triumphant way. But, frankly think Marvel benefits more form being able to do a 'Winter Soldier' movie series /and/ a Cap movie series. xD

I just mean, I think we'll still have a Tony Stark, but we might get a Don Cheadle War Machine movie or two and have him appear in the Avengers while they're looking for a guy who can play a Tony Stark that isn't RDJ. xD
    Last edited by Tendrin; 07-31-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post

Unlikely and, I want to say, also impossible. Mostly because it's hard to sell a new character that's just a replacement of the old guy, especially in movies. Would you have enjoy seeing every new James Bond be a James Bond Jr. instead of being the same guy, but with a different actor? Every first film of each new trilogy of the series would start with the old guy handing over to the new guy, and have the newbie learning the ropes and making rookie mistakes. How many times can you do the same thing for the first 30 minutes of each trilogy before it gets predictable? Also, if the actors get too old to play their respective characters, they'll just recast. Less risky. At the very least, the character's history is still the same. If you wanna go the Captain Falcon or Lady Thor route, you might as well reboot the Marvel Cinematic universe, or just make them a new character with new powers and histories, instead of continuing with a legacy character. Less baggage there for the new audience, and you can still tell the same story you wanted to tell with Falcon. Whether or not that would sell is another story.