Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sectal View Post
    New villains. I am sick of always seeing the same villains over and over again. In real life they would be put in jail or killed considering all the frequent crimes they commit
    It’s because readers value villains over civilians.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I think it only bothers me when companies promise change and it's not lasting change...or when they swear the groceries are fresh, but you can still see the previous expiration date on the item just below the newly stamped one. Same product, same ink, just different sell-by date.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Boisterously Confused

Characters without limitations, or whose limitations are ignored because a writer needed to do "X". I'm not asking for it back, but I miss the days when Iron Man's power supply required recharging, and his heart's functionality was tied to it. It created obstacles around which a writer had to work.

Writers that want to distort a character to fit the story they want to tell.

Villains retooled into heroes because they're popular. I give Magneto a pass on this one, because he was the first to get there (depending on how you view the Sub-Mariner), and Hawkeye because he was created as a misunderstood guy from the getgo. The sheer number of reformed monsters, however, has become too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    People who stick around in fan communities to complain for years rather than accept that whether due to changes within themselves or the product, the product is no longer to their tastes. They could move forward to find something new to appreciate, and perhaps they do. But generally speaking, you don't get points for sticking around a comics shop and whining that you don't like anything currently published. You don't get them online either. Take up hiking or oil painting. I'm sure you see yourself as an expert critic, but I assure you that is not the case for 99% of people.
    There are several posters on this site that are really, really obsessed with hating certain characters, and it's kind of weird. Why does a fictional character have such a stranglehold on your life?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    There are several posters on this site that are really, really obsessed with hating certain characters, and it's kind of weird. Why does a fictional character have such a stranglehold on your life?
    I think most people compartmentalize that sort of thing. The hate only surfaces when they come to CBR. Otherwise, they're perfectly healthy and mentally sound individuals.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yeah, that's another thing. Catharsis can certainly be found from raging on media or characters featured in said media, but if that's all you're doing.... Go for a walk. You may very well lead a rich life outside of your nerd-rage, but even still there comes a point that you're just working yourself up for no reason. That, and generally making a worse experience for everyone else.

Being attached, and feeling invested in a work of fiction can be fine. Emotional responses both good, and bad are natural. But at some point you have to Marie Kondo your hobby, and walk away if it stops sparking joy. Maybe also consider if you're making others miserable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I think most people compartmentalize that sort of thing. The hate only surfaces when they come to CBR. Otherwise, they're perfectly healthy and mentally sound individuals.
    Probably, but they choose to show their worst side. They could be the most well rounded individual in meat world, they're still putting a considerable effort into making the forum a less pleasant place.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 05-20-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I really hope thats true, because otherwise?......yikes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Boisterously Confused

Yeah, that's another thing. Catharsis can certainly be found from raging on media or characters featured in said media, but if that's all you're doing.... Go for a walk. You may very well lead a rich life outside of your nerd-rage, but even still there comes a point that you're just working yourself up for no reason. That, and generally making a worse experience for everyone else.

Being attached, and feeling invested in a work of fiction can be fine. Emotional responses both good, and bad are natural. But at some point you have to Marie Kondo your hobby, and walk away if it stops sparking joy. Maybe also consider if you're making others miserable as well.

Probably, but they choose to show their worst side. They could be the most well rounded individual in meat world, they're still putting a considerable effort into making the forum a less pleasant place.
    Lot of research is.out there about this. Tends to boil down to people's worst selves surfacing when they feel securely anonymous, and other poster's anonymity enabling them to feel like it's not actually people they're addressing.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Lot of research is.out there about this. Tends to boil down to people's worst selves surfacing when they feel securely anonymous, and other poster's anonymity enabling them to feel like it's not actually people they're addressing.
    Yes, but that doesn't excuse it. We all have the backspace key, any one of us can type out the most nauseous bile imaginable a thousand times and choose not to post it. It doesn't matter if you're just raging on some Marvel character or threatening an actress on twitter. You're still making the conscious decision to not only work yourself up into a rage, but make things a worse experience for others who exhibit civility and self control.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Writers that want to distort a character to fit the story they want to tell.
    This ^^^^^^
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

You may not know a story is inferior until the sales figures hit, well after you've paid the talent. When a writer's hot, there's no reason to not give them the shot. As for being "into a character," Wolfman was not a fan of The Teen Titans (which he called The Justice Little League) back in 1979. There's no telling what might turn out to be magical, and what should be magical but that will turn out to be dreck.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Is that what your boss puts up with..."I don't really like the job you gave me so I will half ass it..."

If they don't like the characters and are not inspired maybe they should just work harder...or quit.
    I can hardly make a comparison with my own work, since I work in healthcare. I have no choice but always be my best. People depend on me.

I'm not saying uninspired writers make crappy stories on purpose, but as an artist, when you're not inspired by something you might not make something incredible. It's human nature. If I was a singer and was booked to sing country songs, you bet I wouldn't be very enthusiastic about it
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Also, I'm just going to state that I loathe strict rules in regards to character capabilities. Specifics in regards to powers, and limitations are great from a game design stand point but are creatively constrictive when it comes to telling stories. I don't need to know how much weight Spider-Man can bench-press, I know he's strong. I trust creators to interpret that in a such a way as to make things interesting.

Boisterously Confused

Also, I'm just going to state that I loathe strict rules in regards to character capabilities. Specifics in regards to powers, and limitations are great from a game design stand point but are creatively constrictive when it comes to telling stories. I don't need to know how much weight Spider-Man can bench-press, I know he's strong. I trust creators to interpret that in a such a way as to make things interesting.
    We disagree on this. I'm not saying it should be impossible for Spider-Man to whomp The Thing, but he shouldn't be able to do it thru a straight-up punch-fest. Acknowledging one character's limits relative to another's forces a writer to craft events in a story in a way that flow for reasons other than "I need this plot element to hold my tale together."

Astonishing Member

We disagree on this. I'm not saying it should be impossible for Spider-Man to whomp The Thing, but he shouldn't be able to do it thru a straight-up punch-fest. Acknowledging one character's limits relative to another's forces a writer to craft events in a story in a way that flow for reasons other than "I need this plot element to hold my tale together."
    Strength is always story based. Rhino can be beaten in a fist fight by Spider-Man and still be able to hurt the Hulk. Most of the time, power levels are more based on assumptions than any thing else.

I just feel that it makes comics feel less like compelling stories, and more like HeroClix games when you adhere too strictly to the limitations of abilities. I'm alright with there being relative measures with some plasticity, but if it makes for an interesting visual I don't mind things such as Captain America being able to but up more of a fight against Thanos than the Hulk.

But I grew up with Dragonball, and if there's one thing that hammered into me it's that power levels are meaningless when the core of the genre is impossible beings triumphing over more powerful enemies.