Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Little things that only bug you.

What little things in Marvel Comics only seem to bug you? The thing that bugs me and no one else is She-Hulk wearing glasses. The character doesn't need them. The senses of a Hulk aren't enhanced to the level of Wolverine or Daredevil but they are still sufficiently enhanced to the point where she shouldn't need glasses. Is it just force of habit because the character wore glasses for years before becoming She-Hulk?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I dont think Im alone in this one, but one of the semi-recent things about Marvel that really galled me was replacing Richard Rider with Sam just as Nova's profile was starting to rise.

I got nothing against Sam, this isnt a "hate on the new guy" post. But DnA set up a great status quo for cosmic Marvel and Rider was really starting to come into his own. People were starting to become aware of who Nova was. I feel like with just a little more of a push he could've really started to become a serious player in the MU. Sure, his solo book had declined a little in quality, but that's when you bring in a new creative team, not totally replace the hero!

I feel like bringing in Sam sort of just put the franchise back to square one and the IP's popularity had to start building up all over again. If they had used Rich in AvX and all the other stories and events Sam was a part of, I think Nova might be a much bigger deal than he is now. By all means bring in Sam too, but taking Rich out felt like a really questionable call at that particular time.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Excuse Plots. Especially ones that involve MacGuffins.

The Lifeline Tablet and its expies were really cool plot elements to include in Spider-Man mythos which makes the fact that it’s simply used as something for gangsters to fight over really disappointing.

where are the web wings
    where do they go
    they should be standard
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Characters like Squirrel Girl, Gwenpool, and to a smaller extent Deadpool. They would be fine in their own universe. But, imo, they cheapen the 616.

Astonishing Member

No continuity and having so many non 616 characters running around the 616 U.

Likely not unique to me, but it always bugs me when the X-Men are playing baseball on an off day and either the artist has no idea what baseball is or they're forced to draw a compacted version of the field where they're all ridiculously close to each other.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Characters like Squirrel Girl, Gwenpool, and to a smaller extent Deadpool. They would be fine in their own universe. But, imo, they cheapen the 616.
    This is probably my biggest. I don't even mind them doing their own thing off in some stupid corner of MU. But in "MY" MU, Squirrel Girl was squirrshed in her first story by Doom.

And squirrels, in general, are just evil as heck. Suffer not one to live. I want to bring Mad Dog Baxter back just so he can literally wipe the floor with Doreen. Ptooey.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The destruction of Atlantis(insert other fictional cities) in one issue and then in the following issue or the next time it shows up its magically put back together with no explanation.

(a few other people have already mention here)
    Destruction, in general, tends to get me mad, because it's never ever done in a good way (it's always a stupid gimmick plot, and yeah, I'm including Annihilation in this). And it always forces a future writer to bring it back. See Xandar-- it's been destroyed and brought back like half a dozen times, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Likely not unique to me, but it always bugs me when the X-Men are playing baseball on an off day and either the artist has no idea what baseball is or they're forced to draw a compacted version of the field where they're all ridiculously close to each other.
    Well, the idea is that they're playing in their backyard. Sure, they live in a mansion, but they're not going to concern themselves with these things anymore than street kids do.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 05-12-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dont think Im alone in this one, but one of the semi-recent things about Marvel that really galled me was replacing Richard Rider with Sam just as Nova's profile was starting to rise.

I got nothing against Sam, this isnt a "hate on the new guy" post. But DnA set up a great status quo for cosmic Marvel and Rider was really starting to come into his own. People were starting to become aware of who Nova was. I feel like with just a little more of a push he could've really started to become a serious player in the MU. Sure, his solo book had declined a little in quality, but that's when you bring in a new creative team, not totally replace the hero!

I feel like bringing in Sam sort of just put the franchise back to square one and the IP's popularity had to start building up all over again. If they had used Rich in AvX and all the other stories and events Sam was a part of, I think Nova might be a much bigger deal than he is now. By all means bring in Sam too, but taking Rich out felt like a really questionable call at that particular time.
    This is just from my understanding, but from what I know, them bringing in Sam was mutually exclusive from them choosing to retire Rich. Who knows why they did the latter, but the former was done sometime after and independently of the latter. It is a misconception among the Nova fans who sling hate at Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    This is just from my understanding, but from what I know, them bringing in Sam was mutually exclusive from them choosing to retire Rich. Who knows why they did the latter, but the former was done sometime after and independently of the latter. It is a misconception among the Nova fans who sling hate at Sam.
    Really? I did not know that.

Not throwing hate at Sam either, I just figured the two events (Rich being removed and Sam arriving) were connected.

Still makes no sense to me to write off Rich just as the property was starting to be a little more popular though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Here' s a few more... books that have three or four pages of characters eating but only one real action sequence in the whole book.

All the women in todays books who have nothing in common and some who have literally been seen hating each other suddenly becoming or acting like they are best friends. (It's past being very weird) (I'm at the point of waiting for either Captain Marvel, Domino, Mockingbird, Ms. Marvel or any number of heroines to start sporting a shirt that says "If you have a V you must love me!" )

Another that is beginning to bug me , because it's starting to happen more often, is there seems to be less and less clear villains. "Heroes" either let the villain get away or side with them for some bizarre reason. Or the good villains become Anti-Heroes or full fledge heroes. It's getting silly with how many "bad guys" are teaming up with heroes or straight up on major superhero teams now of days.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-13-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

What has really been bugging me for the last decade or so is how annuals pretty much are meaningless. I miss the days where Annuals actually mattered. Either as part of an important event of the final chapter in a big story arc. Nowadays pretty much every annual is worthless and most of the time not even written by the series writer. And if it is written by the regular writer there's like a million guest writer's as well contributing comedy stories.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Really? I did not know that.

Not throwing hate at Sam either, I just figured the two events (Rich being removed and Sam arriving) were connected.

Still makes no sense to me to write off Rich just as the property was starting to be a little more popular though.
    It's been awhile, but I do recall reading that the two events were, indeed, mutually exclusive. Mostly, as I recall, the time gap was too large for one thing.

It's still an easy assumption to make, especially for those who don't like Sam, which, I remember, was the context this clarification was given under.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What little things in Marvel Comics only seem to bug you? The thing that bugs me and no one else is She-Hulk wearing glasses. The character doesn't need them. The senses of a Hulk aren't enhanced to the level of Wolverine or Daredevil but they are still sufficiently enhanced to the point where she shouldn't need glasses. Is it just force of habit because the character wore glasses for years before becoming She-Hulk?
    I know this is stupid, but the MCU changing "Infinity Gems" to "Infinity Stones" really bugs me, because it seems such an insignificant change that I can't figure out why it was even made (other than some marketing person deciding it just sounds better). Gerry Duggan did his best to explain the name change within comic continuity, but it still annoys me, particularly when my friends who are only familiar with the movies act like I'm calling them the WRONG thing.