Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    In that same vein, it's also very annoying when something is going on in the greater MU with a character, yet it gets completely ignored in the solo, sometimes in creates ongoing contradictions in monthly title. Perfect example of this right now is T'Challa. Currently leading the Avengers and is taking part in WotRs. Yet In his solo he is stuck in space, and in the Shuri ongoing that's also taking place right now he is missing and is a ongoing plotline.. yet she also appeared in WotR as well.. it's confusing as hell
    Until the 80's/90's, all the writers lived in NY, often worked in the Marvel offices, etc, so it was easier to keep tighter continuity. These days, with a lot more titles, and writers being able to work from all around the world, it's much harder; of course, that doesn't mean editors couldn't do a better job.

Here' s a few more... books that have three or four pages of characters eating but only one real action sequence in the whole book.

All the women in todays books who have nothing in common and some who have literally been seen hating each other suddenly becoming or acting like they are best friends. (It's past being very weird) (I'm at the point of waiting for either Captain Marvel, Domino, Mockingbird, Ms. Marvel or any number of heroines to start sporting a shirt that says "If you have a V you must love me!" )

Another that is beginning to bug me , because it's starting to happen more often, is there seems to be less and less clear villains. "Heroes" either let the villain get away or side with them for some bizarre reason. Or the good villains become Anti-Heroes or full fledge heroes. It's getting silly with how many "bad guys" are teaming up with heroes or straight up on major superhero teams now of days.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-13-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

What has really been bugging me for the last decade or so is how annuals pretty much are meaningless. I miss the days where Annuals actually mattered. Either as part of an important event of the final chapter in a big story arc. Nowadays pretty much every annual is worthless and most of the time not even written by the series writer. And if it is written by the regular writer there's like a million guest writer's as well contributing comedy stories.

Any arbitrary indication of a character's "power-level" that feeds into fan obsession over "feats." I like video games, like combining comic book characters and video games, even like talking about characters stats as if they were from video games (Wolverine has a 7 in stamina? Iron Man has a 5 in Energy?) But I don't like when the fun devolves into sniping and kvetching when character "X" isn't invulnerable under "Y" circumstance - that "X" would never lose to "Z." Some stories aren't complete crap because writers didn't choose *insert-favorite-character* to come in and use their uberskillz to resolve the problem with "POWER!"

Poor characterization, ineffective narrative, shallow research, bad writing? Those are all things I welcome people talking about and being critical of, but it constantly devolves into diatribe about "power-level" and "feats."

Extraordinary Member

The all powerful symbiotes. Writers seem to think come up with ways symbiotes can do pretty much everything.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What little things in Marvel Comics only seem to bug you? The thing that bugs me and no one else is She-Hulk wearing glasses. The character doesn't need them. The senses of a Hulk aren't enhanced to the level of Wolverine or Daredevil but they are still sufficiently enhanced to the point where she shouldn't need glasses. Is it just force of habit because the character wore glasses for years before becoming She-Hulk?
    I know this is stupid, but the MCU changing "Infinity Gems" to "Infinity Stones" really bugs me, because it seems such an insignificant change that I can't figure out why it was even made (other than some marketing person deciding it just sounds better). Gerry Duggan did his best to explain the name change within comic continuity, but it still annoys me, particularly when my friends who are only familiar with the movies act like I'm calling them the WRONG thing.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    Any arbitrary indication of a character's "power-level" that feeds into fan obsession over "feats." I like video games, like combining comic book characters and video games, even like talking about characters stats as if they were from video games (Wolverine has a 7 in stamina? Iron Man has a 5 in Energy?) But I don't like when the fun devolves into sniping and kvetching when character "X" isn't invulnerable under "Y" circumstance - that "X" would never lose to "Z." Some stories aren't complete crap because writers didn't choose *insert-favorite-character* to come in and use their uberskillz to resolve the problem with "POWER!"

Poor characterization, ineffective narrative, shallow research, bad writing? Those are all things I welcome people talking about and being critical of, but it constantly devolves into diatribe about "power-level" and "feats."
    Yeah, I definitely second this. It's weird to me how people who get caught up with this D&D type of crap seldom seem to care (or realize) that the narrative comes first and that power levels are always gonna come second to that. Firelord may have higher power levels than Spider-man, but jobbed out to him anyway because it was Spidey's book and that was the chosen narrative decision.

I actually had a guy recently tell me how awesome the Marquis of Death (from Millar's awful FF) was, with the characters power levels being the only evidence.

I feel like alot of these guys get their information primarily from Wiki and Youtube and haven't been reading comics for a long time yet, but that's purely conjecture on my part.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

The lack of communication and connection between legacy heroes and the classics. I know that each hero have their own personal lives, but the lack of involvement of the classic heroes for their legacy heroes seems out of character. Look at Peter Parker and Miles Morales.. after all the crap Peter's been through as Spider-Man you'd think Peter would be very protective. Miles should be a major supporting character in Peter's book and Peter should be a major supporting character in Miles' book. Take the Into the Spider-Verse dynamic and apply it to the comics for every legacy-classic hero duo please!

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    The lack of communication and connection between legacy heroes and the classics. I know that each hero have their own personal lives, but the lack of involvement of the classic heroes for their legacy heroes seems out of character. Look at Peter Parker and Miles Morales.. after all the crap Peter's been through as Spider-Man you'd think Peter would be very protective. Miles should be a major supporting character in Peter's book and Peter should be a major supporting character in Miles' book. Take the Into the Spider-Verse dynamic and apply it to the comics for every legacy-classic hero duo please!
    But that would make them a "family" of titles. DC does that. Marvel doesn't do that because they are TERRIFIED that someone will use the "S" word. The "S" word being "sidekick". Marvel just treats it as a brand expansion (which it is) and nothing more. Does Coke need to check in on Cherry Coke and Diet Coke to make sure they are okay?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm glad that the MCU doesn't have complete control over Spider-Man because Disney would never have given us something like Into The Spider-Verse
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-14-2019 at 06:41 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

You know what gets my goat?? All these kids running around and not one damn call to CPS for child endangerment. Next issue...Batman gets a summons from Child Protective Services....is this the end of Robin The Boy Wonder??

Astonishing Member

But that would make them a "family" of titles. DC does that. Marvel doesn't do that because they are TERRIFIED that someone will use the "S" word. The "S" word being "sidekick". Marvel just treats it as a brand expansion (which it is) and nothing more. Does Coke need to check in on Cherry Coke and Diet Coke to make sure they are okay?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm glad that the MCU doesn't have complete control over Spider-Man because Disney would never have given us something like Into The Spider-Verse
    Another thing I hate is the lack of sidekicks. If they were called apprenticeships, no one would have a problem with it.

What has always bugged me about The Unstoppable Wasp is the fact that she was trained by The Red Room.

The Red Room is just for assassins/spies not for scientists, and if she was trained in the Red Room the character's personality would be a heck of a lot different.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-16-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

What has always bugged me about The Unstoppable Wasp is the fact that she was trained by The Red Room.

The Red Room is just for assassins/spies not for scientists, and if she was trained in the Red Room the character's personality would be a heck of a lot different.
    Wasn't it stated in an early issue that the Red Room had a sort of scientific division?

Not saying this didn't bug me also
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Wasn't it stated in an early issue that the Red Room had a sort of scientific division?

Not saying this didn't bug me also
    They had her on the assassin track and then figured out she was a genius so moved her to R&D.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Really? I did not know that.

Not throwing hate at Sam either, I just figured the two events (Rich being removed and Sam arriving) were connected.

Still makes no sense to me to write off Rich just as the property was starting to be a little more popular though.
    It's been awhile, but I do recall reading that the two events were, indeed, mutually exclusive. Mostly, as I recall, the time gap was too large for one thing.

It's still an easy assumption to make, especially for those who don't like Sam, which, I remember, was the context this clarification was given under.