Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Another thing I hate is the lack of sidekicks. If they were called apprenticeships, no one would have a problem with it.
    Most are usually referred to as proteges and mentors in-universe, at least the small handful of times we are allowed to have older hero and younger hero partnerships (from recent memory, Blindspot and Daredevil, and Joaquin Torres and Rayshaun Lucas to Sam Wilson).

BANNED

Captain Britain's beard.

It doesn't only bug me, it drives me crazy. And it's only getting bigger every appearance he makes.

BANNED

On a more serious note, Marvel's tendency to put good writers on properties they are clearly not into, resulting in phoned in garbage. That bugs me.

Also, the fact that almost all of their good artists have eloped to DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    On a more serious note, Marvel's tendency to put good writers on properties they are clearly not into, resulting in phoned in garbage. That bugs me.

This. 10char
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Kieron Gillen in Iron Man was the first name that comes to my mind.

Does DC treat artists better than Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Excited for CBR to reveal their hidden knowledge of private industry contracts.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    I don't know if they treat them better, but they probably pay them more.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

If they make garbage, don't pay them well. Their job is to write good comics, not only write good comics for properties they only enjoy.

I'm rather sensitive to how the Marvel Cosmics/Abstracts get portrayed.

As an example, in Ultimates2 where Order and Chaos casually kill The Living Tribunal, right on the heels of CW2 which had just ... killed The Living Tribunal. It felt like there was a complete disrespect for a being's status in existence and the incomprehensible power it held. Many times people seem to treat the cosmics/abstracts like "really powerful aliens", when they are really supposed to represent so much more than that. I could kind of forgive CW because I felt Emp. God Doom could never co-exist with the Tribunal around and this was a major event ... but in Ultimates2 ... ugh it irked me. I hoped maybe they were taking the opportunity to create a new pantheon in it's wake but no ... Logos came and went, and tribunal returned .. and I was left thinking "uh, all of the multiverse can be threatened that easily?"

I like my gods to remain mysterious and beyond comprehension in power. To have them reduced to just another group of supers is irritating.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    If they make garbage, don't pay them well. Their job is to write good comics, not only write good comics for properties they only enjoy.
    This exactly...if as a writer you cannot take the characters you are assigned and make them great...not by making them clones of the characters you do like...but by making them individuals with their own stories, personalities, etc...then you have no business doing it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    I'm rather sensitive to how the Marvel Cosmics/Abstracts get portrayed.

As an example, in Ultimates2 where Order and Chaos casually kill The Living Tribunal, right on the heels of CW2 which had just ... killed The Living Tribunal. It felt like there was a complete disrespect for a being's status in existence and the incomprehensible power it held. Many times people seem to treat the cosmics/abstracts like "really powerful aliens", when they are really supposed to represent so much more than that. I could kind of forgive CW because I felt Emp. God Doom could never co-exist with the Tribunal around and this was a major event ... but in Ultimates2 ... ugh it irked me. I hoped maybe they were taking the opportunity to create a new pantheon in it's wake but no ... Logos came and went, and tribunal returned .. and I was left thinking "uh, all of the multiverse can be threatened that easily?"

I like my gods to remain mysterious and beyond comprehension in power. To have them reduced to just another group of supers is irritating.
    I think you mean to SW not CW but it is subversive for the living tribunal to be killed like that when he specifically said that he was more powerful than the previous iteration. guess he got bound by his own edict when he said that reality was in flux which meant the cosmic entities could subvert their role until things became clearer.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    That's not the way it works though. If you're an established creator you either have a page rate with an option for royalties or some sort of contract stating how much you get paid. If you're an editor you can ask for changes if you think the story isn't good enough, but you can't go, "Well, Mark Waid...we were going to paid you x for this Avengers story, but it's not as good as your normal work we're only going to give you y."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's not the way it works though. If you're an established creator you either have a page rate with an option for royalties or some sort of contract stating how much you get paid. If you're an editor you can ask for changes if you think the story isn't good enough, but you can't go, "Well, Mark Waid...we were going to paid you x for this Avengers story, but it's not as good as your normal work we're only going to give you y."
    But as an editor you can say these are the characters you get to play with and this is the way the story needs to go.

I really, really dislike the the super slim, skintight armor look like the the bleeding edge Iron Man armor, or the MCU Infinity War/Endgame Iron Man armors. I feel like the Extremis armor is the best balance of sleek/bulk(and for the MCU maybe the Age of Ultron or Civil War armors).