Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

And why do villains keep going back to NYC?? You're gonna run into the FF, the Avengers, Strange, the X-Men, Spidey......basically 90% of the superhero population lives within like, six miles of each other.

Go rob banks in Chicago, guys!!

Doom.....I dunno, by MU standards wouldn't the general public just see him as the equivalent of a nuclear foreign power? Most of Doom's biggest moments seem to be (and Im no expert!) things that the regular person would never hear about (it happens in hell, or space, or the future, or a broken reality where history was remade) and the heroes aren't gonna cause riots by announcing that, for a little while, Doom became God and changed everyone's lives. I mean, a nuclear foreign power is scary enough and people do seem to be concerned about Doom, but at least you know the Avengers and other heroes are capable of containing him. Or so the average person (maybe?) believes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Doom.....I dunno, by MU standards wouldn't the general public just see him as the equivalent of a nuclear foreign power? Most of Doom's biggest moments seem to be (and Im no expert!) things that the regular person would never hear about (it happens in hell, or space, or the future, or a broken reality where history was remade) and the heroes aren't gonna cause riots by announcing that, for a little while, Doom became God and changed everyone's lives. I mean, a nuclear foreign power is scary enough and people do seem to be concerned about Doom, but at least you know the Avengers and other heroes are capable of containing him. Or so the average person (maybe?) believes.
    Lol. I meant how people in the REAL world don't realize how big of a deal Doom is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Lol. I meant how people in the REAL world don't realize how big of a deal Doom is.
    Oh no! Now I feel foolish!!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Dialogue has become unbearable since Joss Whedon. The heroes sound so annoying I find myself rooting for the villains. Isn't there some other writer's voice that everyone can write in?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Why haven't people also made an exodus from cities that have been constantly ravaged by earthquakes, floods, tornadoes or hurricanes?
    I'd say there's a difference between natural disasters that can be planned for and the machinations of super-powerful beings that are completely unpredictable and are designed to lay waste to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Why haven't people also made an exodus from cities that have been constantly ravaged by earthquakes, floods, tornadoes or hurricanes?
    Those fall under natural disasters.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

I can't stand Nick Fury jr, and I think the way Marvel introduced him was really unfair. Nick Fury has decades of history in all corners of the marvel universe and his original series and appearances were pretty groundbreaking if only for the art alone. I had to sit with a lot of poor decisions with the character over the years like Bendis "ultimizing" him and making him a deceitful and manipulating jackass which in turn made him disappear for years, but Secret Warriors was a great return and a high point for me. I understand that due to the MCU a certain version of Nick Fury was more popular, but it would have made much for sense for them to bring over Ultimate Nick Fury instead of creating another illegitimate child for the 616 Nick. And even after he was replaced (no announcement from marvel or prior appearance in any of the main books, just a random mini series) they still had to put the original Nick through more misery in Original Sin. for some reason Nick Fury, a character I grew up idolizing, was Marvel's choice to throw retroactive bad-decision making onto, and painting him in a less-than-heroic-but-for-the-greater-good light, it really hurt me as a fan personally.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I can't stand Nick Fury jr, and I think the way Marvel introduced him was really unfair. Nick Fury has decades of history in all corners of the marvel universe and his original series and appearances were pretty groundbreaking if only for the art alone. I had to sit with a lot of poor decisions with the character over the years like Bendis "ultimizing" him and making him a deceitful and manipulating jackass which in turn made him disappear for years, but Secret Warriors was a great return and a high point for me. I understand that due to the MCU a certain version of Nick Fury was more popular, but it would have made much for sense for them to bring over Ultimate Nick Fury instead of creating another illegitimate child for the 616 Nick. And even after he was replaced (no announcement from marvel or prior appearance in any of the main books, just a random mini series) they still had to put the original Nick through more misery in Original Sin. for some reason Nick Fury, a character I grew up idolizing, was Marvel's choice to throw retroactive bad-decision making onto, and painting him in a less-than-heroic-but-for-the-greater-good light, it really hurt me as a fan personally.
    That's not a little thing, and it doesn't bug just you. Everyone hated Nick Jr's introduction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    That's not a little thing, and it doesn't bug just you. Everyone hated Nick Jr's introduction.
    Guess I wasn't aware. I remember my frustrations with it not getting much response on forums during that time

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Dialogue has become unbearable since Joss Whedon. The heroes sound so annoying I find myself rooting for the villains. Isn't there some other writer's voice that everyone can write in?
    This is more of Bendis thing, but I hear ya. It's like you don't have to be quippy all of the damned time.

I think this is why people tend to criticize writers who don't do quips because they're so used to it, I remember people kept saying Hickman's characters are too cold.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

The deconstruction of the hero over the last 10 plus years. I'd say it is flat-out destructive. Should our characters have flaws? Of course! What they've done to Professor X, Cyclops, Tony and his crew in CW1, Carol and hers in CW2, etc really bugs me. We already have plenty of anti-heroes and anti-villains. You cab have a flawed, yet good superhero without turning them into a Mary-Sue!

Everyone, including the writers, acting like Hank Pym was a serial wife-beater. He wasn't violent before or after the one incident. It occurred during a several mental crisis. He was sorry. He atoned for it and paid a price. It wasn't OK, but it wasn't remotely normal Hank. That was Ultimate Hank Pym, not 616-Hank. I take an extremely dim view of serial abusers. My father was one of the worst, so I know first-hand what it is like to wonder who the next target is going to be, not having a clue what will set them off, etc. That isn't what happened with 616-Hank. The character deserves far better.
    Last edited by mikelmcknight72; 05-13-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Adding another item

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dont think Im alone in this one, but one of the semi-recent things about Marvel that really galled me was replacing Richard Rider with Sam just as Nova's profile was starting to rise.

I got nothing against Sam, this isnt a "hate on the new guy" post. But DnA set up a great status quo for cosmic Marvel and Rider was really starting to come into his own. People were starting to become aware of who Nova was. I feel like with just a little more of a push he could've really started to become a serious player in the MU. Sure, his solo book had declined a little in quality, but that's when you bring in a new creative team, not totally replace the hero!

I feel like bringing in Sam sort of just put the franchise back to square one and the IP's popularity had to start building up all over again. If they had used Rich in AvX and all the other stories and events Sam was a part of, I think Nova might be a much bigger deal than he is now. By all means bring in Sam too, but taking Rich out felt like a really questionable call at that particular time.
    This is just from my understanding, but from what I know, them bringing in Sam was mutually exclusive from them choosing to retire Rich. Who knows why they did the latter, but the former was done sometime after and independently of the latter. It is a misconception among the Nova fans who sling hate at Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    This is just from my understanding, but from what I know, them bringing in Sam was mutually exclusive from them choosing to retire Rich. Who knows why they did the latter, but the former was done sometime after and independently of the latter. It is a misconception among the Nova fans who sling hate at Sam.
    Really? I did not know that.

Not throwing hate at Sam either, I just figured the two events (Rich being removed and Sam arriving) were connected.

Still makes no sense to me to write off Rich just as the property was starting to be a little more popular though.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I know what you mean, but isn't this more of a result of Bendis?

Regardless, yes. This is a big reason for why I stopped reading a lot of titles. Just because a hero isn't dark and brooding doesn't mean all their dialogue has to be witty banter. I mean Spider-Man? Yeah. The Fantastic Four? A bit. Literally every single Avenger? Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Focusing on a shared universe over better comics in isolation.
    In that same vein, it's also very annoying when something is going on in the greater MU with a character, yet it gets completely ignored in the solo, sometimes in creates ongoing contradictions in monthly title. Perfect example of this right now is T'Challa. Currently leading the Avengers and is taking part in WotRs. Yet In his solo he is stuck in space, and in the Shuri ongoing that's also taking place right now he is missing and is a ongoing plotline.. yet she also appeared in WotR as well.. it's confusing as hell

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Lack of consistency in the way characters are drawn across books. I know each artist have their own styles but one of my personal pet peeves as someone who has been following Miles Morales' book; dude has been drawn as undergoing a growth spurt for a while now and is pretty tall and lanky in his own book. Whenever he appears in Champions or guest stars in someone else's book though he's still drawn like he's a little kid.

I feel like this is the same for quite a few of the teen characters as well. Whenever they're drawn standing next to the Avengers they're made extra shorter almost to overcompensate for the fact that they're supposed to be younger. Which is like, if you've ever seen teenagers, their heights vary.
    This also bugs me too. This again for me goes back to T'Challa. In his Solo he has detail done to him (he should really have adopted his MCU habit by now) yet all throughout the MU, he usually is drawn looking like a shadow with white eyes. He doesn't require so much detail that it should be an issue. There are plenty of heroes that have much more complicated looks then he does