Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    He's still decent enough. The king of flip-flopping is still Daken. lol
    Well, there's definitely some nobility and honor to him but not enough that he isn't completely above killing innocents.

I think Ian McKellan captured that pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post

But Bunn lost the character. Pak got hold of him, and he was randomly antagonistic again, and served as the heel of the book for more than half of it and someone who Old Logan had to keep in line. Then the book ends with his villain flip being caused by Mentallo of all people, now he's evil again & going after the X-Men in WoR.

Talk about wasted potential & opportunity. Especially with Bunn having him say he was gonna try to be something more than the monster & other than the inversion facade. But nope. Easier to have him as Wolverine's punching-bag. So that villain revert happened Asap. However, that's taking into account Pak's horrid writing where Creed didn't even seemed inverted half the time. He was supposed to be Angelus to Angel. But Pak went the Spike route where there's little difference between the good & evil version. And after lots of complaints, Pak started having the inversion announced when it was convenient while still having him doing suspect stuff that doesn't show much change. One issue he's rescuing baby tigers, the next he's wanting to smother someone with a pillow for annoying him.
    Over in the Loki thread, every time a new writer gets ahold of him, we have a mild panic attack, for this very reason. Especially lately, as face turns have been undone left and right in other books. (and as a fan of face turns in general, this makes me sad. I love face turn stories in lots of different things.) So far, Loki's been pretty lucky, nearly every writer that's gotten ahold of him has gone along with the changes (even if Aaron played with it by having him pretend to go bad again for a while there, and kinda backslide a bit, but he corrected course in WotR #1). He's had a couple stories where it was clear the writer wanted him to be a bad guy, but they were minor appearances that didn't have an impact on his direction. Generally they've progressed it, so it's been this steady progression where he went from villain, to anti-villain, to anti-hero, and now it appears straight up hero (though i presume with a bit of an edge) after WotR, even though he's going on to the 5th or 6th writer that's controlling his story (and several others adding side stories that support it). It's like the ideal, i think the slower progression helped make it more believable, and I wish other characters could get that too. But telling a story over the course of 10 years and 5 different writers is very rare these days, and I suspect the Thor editorial should get a lot of credit here because of that. so something like what happened with Creed and the inversion to speed the process up some is going to happen a lot of the time, because that is one way that a writer can be more sure that they get tot tell the whole story. But as you said, that's not a guarantee. And a more sudden shift does make it harder for it to stick, I think. But you never know when a new writer will come along and just decide to undo it all with little more than a handwave. It happened to Sandman and Emma Frost, after they had their turns last a really long time, so...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    that might be what he told himself, early on. but he actively seeks out threats to re-emphasize his mission. he's likely still experiencing post traumatic stress disorder basically/can't get past what happened to him during his time at the camps. in that way, he and Frank are alike. they are driven by rage. that's why I emphasized Magneto's self-reflection. he knows when he has made a mistake/killed out of anger instead of a need for justice. he has also killed other somewhat innocent mutants because he felt that they were a threat to mutantkind. it's all there in that first issue of Bunn's Magneto run.

This is merely an assumption..its never been proven. It was last referenced when Moira Mctaggart was alive and played her behavior modification scam on an infant...

Magneto has been on the X Men's side most of the time since 2009. And even when he crosses the line, the intent was always just. It was never about him wiping everyone out or being on top post Claremont. Morrison tried that silly road but even he had to use the kick drug as an excuse for the odd behavior.

Magneto is driven by rage? Not quite. He survived when his sister and parents were gunned down...they killed his daughter by not letting him save her...his wife turned on him for killing those who prevented him from being a hero to his daughter..Isabella was killed by the American CIA just because he went after Nazi war criminals ....its a long tragic tale but it's why he cant ever be Captain America, Spider Man, or Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    This is merely an assumption..its never been proven. It was last referenced when Moira Mctaggart was alive and played her behavior modification scam on an infant...

Magneto has been on the X Men's side most of the time since 2009. And even when he crosses the line, the intent was always just. It was never about him wiping everyone out or being on top post Claremont. Morrison tried that silly road but even he had to use the kick drug as an excuse for the odd behavior.

Magneto is driven by rage? Not quite. He survived when his sister and parents were gunned down...they killed his daughter by not letting him save her...his wife turned on him for killing those who prevented him from being a hero to his daughter..Isabella was killed by the American CIA just because he went after Nazi war criminals ....its a long tragic tale but it's why he cant ever be Captain America, Spider Man, or Storm.
    His wife fled after witnessing his rage. Isabelle was treating him for stress. Don't you remember him (incognito) having that talk with the construction worker? Remember what set him off? The mention of baby Hitler. He flew into a rage.

magneto feeds hungry people signposts, he's a hero
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Gotta get your iron

Galactus being the Lifebringer was an original, fresh and interesting take. Reverting him without exploring the potential of that status quo was lame af.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Galactus being the Lifebringer was an original, fresh and interesting take. Reverting him without exploring the potential of that status quo was lame af.
    Agree....that should have been at least a decade long thing before some major event pushed him back over the edge. Maybe even see him revive a lot of plants during the the course.

Does Marvel have any real villains anymore even.
    I mean besides most of their "heroes" that is?
    Batman - Daredevil

Lots. Mephisto, Red Skull (he seems to be coming back), Dormammu, Kingpin, Malekith is being a turbo villain right now, Carnage (with an entire event surrounding him starting pretty soon)... I mean, i could go on... most of these are in absolutely no danger of turning face, at least not any time soon, with literal Nazis and remorseless serial killers among the bunch. And a bunch of new ones have been introduced recently, too. Marvel is in no danger of running out of baddies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    His wife fled after witnessing his rage. Isabelle was treating him for stress. Don't you remember him (incognito) having that talk with the construction worker? Remember what set him off? The mention of baby Hitler. He flew into a rage.
    Justifiable rage any man would do if they had the means...

Yes..the conversation with Bill Jones just gave Magneto an excuse to stop his pretense and show that he was Magneto. He said he smother the baby Hitler without thinking twice to save 6 million lives.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I guess my thing is that I just don't see Galactus as a true villain to begin with. So what Ewing did with him was fun and lasted months longer than I thought it would, but the reversal itself only got to me because Galactus chose to bring Norrin Radd down with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Over in the Loki thread, every time a new writer gets ahold of him, we have a mild panic attack, for this very reason. Especially lately, as face turns have been undone left and right in other books. (and as a fan of face turns in general, this makes me sad. I love face turn stories in lots of different things.) So far, Loki's been pretty lucky, nearly every writer that's gotten ahold of him has gone along with the changes (even if Aaron played with it by having him pretend to go bad again for a while there, and kinda backslide a bit, but he corrected course in WotR #1). He's had a couple stories where it was clear the writer wanted him to be a bad guy, but they were minor appearances that didn't have an impact on his direction. Generally they've progressed it, so it's been this steady progression where he went from villain, to anti-villain, to anti-hero, and now it appears straight up hero (though i presume with a bit of an edge) after WotR, even though he's going on to the 5th or 6th writer that's controlling his story (and several others adding side stories that support it). It's like the ideal, i think the slower progression helped make it more believable, and I wish other characters could get that too. But telling a story over the course of 10 years and 5 different writers is very rare these days, and I suspect the Thor editorial should get a lot of credit here because of that. so something like what happened with Creed and the inversion to speed the process up some is going to happen a lot of the time, because that is one way that a writer can be more sure that they get tot tell the whole story. But as you said, that's not a guarantee. And a more sudden shift does make it harder for it to stick, I think. But you never know when a new writer will come along and just decide to undo it all with little more than a handwave. It happened to Sandman and Emma Frost, after they had their turns last a really long time, so...
    Yeah, we freak out whenever a new writer comes along lol

I mean, I feel like we feel safer with Loki than we used to, but there's always that threat that he'll go bad. Of course, compared to other characters, you can legit have five different Lokis running around and it'll be fine and not completely confusing.

remember when brubaker nuked zemo's character development so he could tie bucky to a rocket and disappear
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    remember when brubaker nuked zemo's character development so he could tie bucky to a rocket and disappear
    No? Are you referencing the Secret Empire tie-in or something else? Zemo had been chaotically neutral until that unexplained move to lead Hydra and restart the Masters of Evil. During Brubaker's cap run, he was mainly trolling Bucky. That was because he didn't consider him to be worthy of the shield.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    That pissed me off so much. They spent a decade turning Zemo into an awesome "grey" character in Thunderbolts only for Brubaker to undue it all in one very lame story. It was just so stupid and destroyed all the work the Thunderbolts writers did.