Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Worst "Good Movie"

I once knew a guy who bought a new, very expensive, cutting-edge TV so he could watch The Matrix on it.

Watching it again on Netflix. My Lord this is an awful show.

What movie would you say is crap that is generally regarded as totally awesome?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" and "Arrival" are two recent movies that were critically adored and got Oscar nominations... and I found both of them boring beyond endurance.

I didn't like "E.T.", or "Gremlins", or "A Christmas Story."

But I did, and do, love "The Matrix" although the sequels were almost bad enough to go back and make the original suck slightly by association.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    But I did, and do, love "The Matrix" although the sequels were almost bad enough to go back and make the original suck slightly by association.
    Really? I am 40 minutes into it and haven't stopped laughing at it's juvenile seriousness.

Ironically, I'm watching it on a $3000 TV

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Really? I am 40 minutes into it and haven't stopped laughing at it's juvenile seriousness.

Ironically, I'm watching it on a $3000 TV
    Well, at least you're enjoying it. Laughter is good, right?

You're probably watching it on a 4K UHD set, right? But the Netflix version is not broadcast in 4K.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Well, at least you're enjoying it. Laughter is good, right?

You're probably watching it on a 4K UHD set, right? But the Netflix version is not broadcast in 4K.
    That's true, but the tv does upscale really nicely

Fantastic Member

I attended a sneak preview of the Matrix back in the day, and wasn't impressed at the time. at the time, I found more logical errors and missed the overall metaphor the Wachowskis were going for.

I don't know if it's good enough to qualify, but I've seen good reviews of it and some Bond fans rate it, and it's rated fresh on RT...

I thought Spectre was trash. Like 3/4 of it was great, and then it goes off the rails with this adopted brother, responsible for all the misery in your life mess. I remember laughing and then nearly leaving the theater after the reveal.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Empty is thy hand!

What makes The Matrix "an awful show"?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    What makes The Matrix "an awful show"?
    Well perhaps it's not. Just finishing it, I honestly can't tell if it's a badly done good movie or a well done bad movie. But there were several times in this film that I was literally out of breath with laughter, and I don't get the impression that was the intention. It was like Batman 66 running down the docks "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!" hilarity. Such horrible dialog and action.

Of course, Batman knew it was a comedy. I don't think Matrix had that self-awareness. It's real MST3K stuff.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 05-11-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I don't know if it's good enough to qualify, but I've seen good reviews of it and some Bond fans rate it, and it's rated fresh on RT...

I thought Spectre was trash. Like 3/4 of it was great, and then it goes off the rails with this adopted brother, responsible for all the misery in your life mess. I remember laughing and then nearly leaving the theater after the reveal.
    Its commonly cited as being the worst James Bond film.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Arrival, I thought was just weird for no reason. Kind of boring.

The Shining. It's just not scary. Which is really something to say, because I'm very easily scared.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Well perhaps it's not. Just finishing it, I honestly can't tell if it's a badly done good movie or a well done bad movie. But there were several times in this film that I was literally out of breath with laughter, and I don't get the impression that was the intention. It was like Batman 66 running down the docks "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!" hilarity. Such horrible dialog and action.

Of course, Batman knew it was a comedy. I don't think Matrix had that self-awareness. It's real MST3K stuff.
    The Matrix is really a product of its time though and has just aged terribly. The reason the movie was so successful was because it perfectly walked the line between a fun action filled romp and a thought provoking piece of speculative fiction, by introducing ideas that seemed to be deep and profound, but then throwing a crazy visual effect in your face before you have had the time to really think it through. But now that everyone has had 20 years to think through the ideas the movie was putting forth, and we've collectively decided that they make no damn sense and aren't worth the time to dissect and analyze. And while the effects might look dated and cheesy now, they definitely were groundbreaking and quite the spectacle at the time.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 05-12-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I strongly disliked Forrest Gump when I first saw it and I think it’s even worse now.

I’m with the masses that The Matrix is good and the sequels are terrible. Perhaps it was one of those movies that is ‘of the time’ and hasn’t aged well for newer audiences, like Crash or Avatar.

Spectre was kind of disappointing after "Skyfall" did so well (Sam Mendes was director on both). While it's cool that it kind of took up the whole "secret organization" plotline that Skyfall kind of dropped (Although SPECTRE retcons Silva into a Spectre agent as well), as mentioned earlier the stepbrother bit was pretty bad, although I did find it kind of clever as a fan of the books how they pretty much re-purposed the Octopussy backstory but with Blofeld instead of Dexter Smythe.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'd say Titanic is overrated. I wouldn't say it sucked by any means, but for me the visuals and music carried the movie over the performances and actual story.