Default Paper or digital?

How does everyone Read their comics? Paperback or Digital? I'm just getting into Reading them and while I Really like looking at them, its easier and Cheaper to read them digitally... i'm torn between the two.
    So my next question is, do you use an app other then kindle? I came across Comixology... any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    How does everyone Read their comics? Paperback or Digital? I'm just getting into Reading them and while I Really like looking at them, its easier and Cheaper to read them digitally... i'm torn between the two.
    I prefer to have everything in print, but digital is cheaper (I wait for stuff to go on sale) and takes up zero physical space.

So my next question is, do you use an app other then kindle? I came across Comixology... any good?
    Comixology is *the* app to purchase and read digital comics, IMO. And because it's owned by Amazon, whatever you buy from the Kindle store will show up automatically in your Comixology account.

Also, if you're into Marvel, it's worth looking into Marvel Unlimited. $75 a year gets you access to pretty much every Marvel comic ever. You don't own them permanently, but you can read them as long as your subscription is paid up. New stuff takes six months to reach the app, but if you don't mind waiting, it's a great low-cost solution.

How does everyone Read their comics? Paperback or Digital?
    Paper, not digital, though it will vary as to what I get in single paper issues (which I don't consider "paperback" since they are usually stapled pages, not a thicker book-like spine) vs. waiting for the trade paperback collected version.

I would rather read paper. There is nothing better then sitting on my porch on a nice day and reading comics. But that said Digital is way cheaper. I have read comics I could never hope to afford or find thanks to many of these apps. I have even found a site where I can download free comics. That really helps for a cash starved person like myself.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Paper is nice, but isn't usually practical for me. They take up a lot of space over time, and not everybody has access to a comic shop or bookstore. Ordering online can be an option, but the cost of shipping is hell and that's assuming you have an address to receive physical mail.

Digital is just cheaper, and easier if you have a device that displays them well. Between: Comixology, Humble, and Hoopla you can read everything you want without going broke or becoming Marie Kondo's nemesis.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    . . . Digital is just cheaper, and easier if you have a device that displays them well . . .
    Key word: IF.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Key word: IF.
    Outdoors on a sunny day, that device doesn't exist yet.

Stopped collecting more than 10 years ago. I download read & delete. Floppies are dead to me.

Astonishing Member

I do both but I prefer paper. I like the feel and smell of a physical copy. Plus, I like to read my comics laying down and it's no fun when you're reading a digital comic laying down and the Kindle slips from your hands and smacks you on the face.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I do both but I prefer paper. I like the feel and smell of a physical copy. Plus, I like to read my comics laying down and it's no fun when you're reading a digital comic laying down and the Kindle slips from your hands and smacks you on the face.
    So do the Kindles show color? i thought there were just black n white? Which Kindle would be a good one for reading?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

So do the Kindles show color? i thought there were just black n white? Which Kindle would be a good one for reading?
    Not sure, I think there are models that display color but not all of them.

Personally I just use my iPad, and I have no issues. Hell, it's not hard to read comics on most modern smart phones if they have smart panels, which is everything from Comixology or Marvel/DC unlimited.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Not sure, I think there are models that display color but not all of them.

Personally I just use my iPad, and I have no issues. Hell, it's not hard to read comics on most modern smart phones if they have smart panels, which is everything from Comixology or Marvel/DC unlimited.
    The Kindle Fire has a color display. My wife won a Kindle Fire in a raffle a few years ago; and I used it to experiment with reading digital comics for a while.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

There are colour models available. Personally I prefer my tablet; the screen is pretty much the size of a standard comics page, so I don't have to squint or zoom in too much. I prefer to read a page as a page, not a series of disconnected panels.

People who read comics on their phone need to have a good, hard think about themselves.

Paper or digital?
    No options for "rock" or "scissors"?