Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I guess it doesn't help that her current book is nothing special. And I don't think the Ghost-Spider name was well thought-out (naming the series Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider is even worse).
    Ain't that the truth.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Chart is out.
    https://comichron.com/monthlycomicss...9/2019-04.html

2 SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN #1 165,841
    9 WEB OF VENOM CULT OF CARNAGE #1 77,722
    10 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #20 76,903
    11 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #19 74,018
    18 VENOM #13 52,114
    19 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #18.HU 52,075
    20 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #19.HU 51,836
    29 SPIDER-MAN CITY AT WAR #2 43,026
    35 MARVEL TEAM-UP #1 39,892
    36 SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY #2 38,531
    61 MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #5 28,390
    71 SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #5 26,663
    72 FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #5 26,329
    84 SPIDER-GWEN GHOST SPIDER #7 23,866
    87 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #252 FACSIMILE EDITION 23,283
    108 SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL #49 17,633
    118 CHAMPIONS #4 16,223
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Chart is out.
    https://comichron.com/monthlycomicss...9/2019-04.html

2 SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN #1 165,841
    9 WEB OF VENOM CULT OF CARNAGE #1 77,722
    10 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #20 76,903
    11 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #19 74,018
    18 VENOM #13 52,114
    19 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #18.HU 52,075
    20 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #19.HU 51,836
    29 SPIDER-MAN CITY AT WAR #2 43,026
    35 MARVEL TEAM-UP #1 39,892
    36 SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY #2 38,531
    61 MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #5 28,390
    71 SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #5 26,663
    72 FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #5 26,329
    84 SPIDER-GWEN GHOST SPIDER #7 23,866
    87 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #252 FACSIMILE EDITION 23,283
    108 SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL #49 17,633
    118 CHAMPIONS #4 16,223
    I think Ghost Spider has maybe another year in it with those sales.

Decent start for Marvel Team-Up. Might have some legs depending on how the second issue sells.

I think Hunted is proving how they should have handled the Clone Conspiracy and it's tie-ins in ASM.

Man, wasn't Miles still at 30k by the fifth issue of his last volume ?

So people are expecting Ghost Spider to come to an end sooner rather than later.

Are people expecting Marvel to give Spider-Gwen another shot with an ongoing immediately after? Or will she become like 2099 and show up every once in a while?

They won't give up that easily - and honestly, it would need to get well below 23k to get cancelled. Spider-Man/Deadpool has only just ended, and it's penultimate issue sold 17k.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    So people are expecting Ghost Spider to come to an end sooner rather than later.

Are people expecting Marvel to give Spider-Gwen another shot with an ongoing immediately after? Or will she become like 2099 and show up every once in a while?
    My guess is if/when they try again*, it'll be with her coming over to 616 (or whatever we're calling it). Whether it's permanent or something like Spider-Gwen Team Up (e.g. Web Warriors Redux Starring Gwen), it's easier to tie Gwen's stories into the supposed tent pole events if she's in-universe. Maybe Spider-Women (since Cindy and Jessica are both more or less on the sidelines right now, anyway)?

*It wouldn't shock me if digital/trade sales are propping the title up, so it could be awhile
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I think Marvel has more incentive to keep Gwen around then they did Miguel.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Man, wasn't Miles still at 30k by the fifth issue of his last volume ?
    The Direct Market isn't what it was 3 years ago. Like even Deadpool is only selling half as well as it used to.

I think Marvel has more incentive to keep Gwen around then they did Miguel.
    Yeah I look at something like Moon Girl see that some books popularity just transcends how they actually perform in the Direct Market. Both Gwen and Miles have become marketable characters for Marvel, merchandising wise, so even if their direct market sales were to straight up tank, they still got a motive to keeping them around.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 05-13-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Yeah I look at something like Moon Girl see that some books popularity just transcends how they actually perform in the Direct Market. Both Gwen and Miles have become marketable characters for Marvel, merchandising wise, so even if their direct market sales were to straight up tank, they still got a motive to keeping them around.
    It's kind of like Batgirl and Supergirl at DC. Sometimes they're sales get really low but they keep publishing them because they're too popular and marketable to not publish.

Although is Spider-Gwen aimed at the Scholastic market like Moon Girl is? I'm pretty sure Miles is.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

It's kind of like Batgirl and Supergirl at DC. Sometimes they're sales get really low but they keep publishing them because they're too popular and marketable to not publish.

Although is Spider-Gwen aimed at the Scholastic market like Moon Girl is? I'm pretty sure Miles is.
    I don't think Gwen is, but she has been getting pretty heavy merchandising push over the past year or so.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Mighty Member

I really don't think Gwen is going anywhere. I'd put her in the Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl, Nadia, teen Iceman category where her value lies other places than direct market monthly floppy sales.

I think a lot of Symbiote sales can be attributed towards retailers having a pretty high confidence level towards the Spidey line in general currently. Amazing is on great footing, Venom is a huge success, the Web of Venom series has done very well, Superior has a very dedicated fanbase, City at War and Life Story both have had good sell throughs... I'm seeing more people with "all spider titles" on their list lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I really don't think Gwen is going anywhere. I'd put her in the Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl, Nadia, teen Iceman category where her value lies other places than direct market monthly floppy sales.
    There really isn't a teen Iceman though .

I don't know though, I don't think Gwen's book is in the same category as those other female-led titles. Maybe the current run is, but I don't think that's in general what the character is meant for.
    I think a lot of Symbiote sales can be attributed towards retailers having a pretty high confidence level towards the Spidey line in general currently. Amazing is on great footing, Venom is a huge success, the Web of Venom series has done very well, Superior has a very dedicated fanbase, City at War and Life Story both have had good sell throughs... I'm seeing more people with "all spider titles" on their list lately.
    Definitely seems to be on stronger and stabler footing compared to the ANAD era.

Mighty Member

There really isn't a teen Iceman though .

I don't know though, I don't think Gwen's book is in the same category as those other female-led titles. Maybe the current run is, but I don't think that's in general what the character is meant for.

Definitely seems to be on stronger and stabler footing compared to the ANAD era.
    Mmm.. maybe not what she was originally intended for, but I think you can make a case she's heading in that direction... I think it's a good move for the character, she can be a bigger fish in a smaller pond there. Not tying into the 616 isn't really a big deal on that side of the street. More on the tween side than the kids side like Moon Girl and a few others, though, I'd say.

Did they send teen Iceman back? Keeping track of the X Verse is like... well I don't have a good comparison, so it's like keeping track of a very confusing and convoluted web of timelines, versions of characters and clones.

don't keep track of the x-verse they have proven it's not worth it

how do we get asm to stay in top 10, we need spider-man to admit that he and the burglar were in cahoots
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Mmm.. maybe not what she was originally intended for, but I think you can make a case she's heading in that direction... I think it's a good move for the character, she can be a bigger fish in a smaller pond there. Not tying into the 616 isn't really a big deal on that side of the street. More on the tween side than the kids side like Moon Girl and a few others, though, I'd say.

Did they send teen Iceman back? Keeping track of the X Verse is like... well I don't have a good comparison, so it's like keeping track of a very confusing and convoluted web of timelines, versions of characters and clones.
    All of the original X-Men were sent home, with their memories of the experience locked away until they aged to the point where their younger selves were sent home. (This is why older Cyclops remembered being a member of Ms. Marvel's new Champions in War of the Realms.)