Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default The MCU: Where to go from Endgame? (beware of spoilers)

I don't think it a spoiler to say The Russos put a pretty loud crescendo on the tune Feige set directors and actors humming over 10 years ago.

Now what? After the climactic Uber-brawl where does the MCU go next?

Will audiences accept anything as low key as Iron Man or Ant-Man again? Can Marvel Studios pull off a group self-contained stories, now that audiences have seen how big and loud it can get? Alternatively, can Marvel construct another sprawling epic with the properties they have left to work with?

In short, can they keep the franchise going with the success they enjoyed to date? If so, how?

If you haven't seen Endgame yet, this thread is bound to include spoilers.

BANNED

Superheroes being able to buy weed in movies

Astonishing Member

Secret Invasion/more Kree-Skrull War

Dark Reigns/T-Bolts/Dark Avengers

Bruce's ability to retain control of the Hulk could lead to She-Hulk, as (Well, prior to Civil War II) she also retained her personality.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Next Phase could be relatively calm, with stuff like Dark Reign etc in?

There will inevitably be a build up toward Secret Wars and Dr Doom.

They'll always do smaller scale movies and self contained ones as breathers and to try and draw in new audiences.

Endgame opens the door way to Kang and Galactus to debut. There is also Doom, Namor (although he's not technically a villain) and the Skrulls. Also, Norman Osborn could debut.

There are also plenty of villains who are still alive or not confirmed dead like Zemo, Zola, Ross, Justin Hammer and Batroc the Leaper.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    They'll always do smaller scale movies and self contained ones as breathers and to try and draw in new audiences.

Endgame opens the door way to Kang and Galactus to debut. There is also Doom, Namor (although he's not technically a villain) and the Skrulls. Also, Norman Osborn could debut.

There are also plenty of villains who are still alive or not confirmed dead like Zemo, Zola, Ross, Justin Hammer and Batroc the Leaper.
    At least a Batroc v. FalCap rumble has hopes of a more even match than the showing in CA:TWS

Astonishing Member

Guys, I can always being wrong, but I think I just discovered in which direction the MCU will be going in the future. If the Marvel Universe has become the "Marvel Multiverse", as the recent information revealed from "Spider-Man: Far From Home" seems to confirm, then the next big event to where the next movies will be leading will be "Secret Wars". Think about it:

1º) If Spider-Man is the first one to be involved in this stuff, this could take us to a Spider-Verse's adventure. The perfect excuse to turn Spider-Man into the new "Iron Man", in the sense as the "main hero" in the movies.

2º) If the Marvel Universe has been divided into several alternative realities, this could take us to something similar to the Incursions. Only that, instead of planets colliding each other, we could see characters from different realities to appear in the main reality. Think about it:
    + Mysterio and the Elementals could be the first ones. I know Mysterio can always be lying, but considering that in the comics he really traveled through dimensions, this part of what he says could actually be true.
    + In case it's too late to start all over the franchises of the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, they could also being characters from other realities transfered to the main MCU.
    + With this, characters previously killed can reappear in future movies: Loki, Heimdall, Vision, Black Widow and even Quicksilver. They can all come from the branched realities created when the Avengers traveled to the past to get the Infinity Stones.

3º) In the end, all movies could takes us to something like an hybrid of both versions of Secret Wars (1984 and 2015). Battleworld is created combining pieces of planets and alternative realities, surely by the hand of the Beyonder. And so, everyone has to fight to decide which reality will survive. Surely, the solution would be creating one single reality that combines the unique elements of all the realities; just like at the end of SW 2015, several characters from alternative realities survived and lived new lifes in Earth-616. Like Miles Morales from the Ultimate Universe, the Squadron Supreme, and some alternative versions of the X-Men.

What do you think?

If the Infinity Gauntlet created a rip in space/time it could lead to the introduction of The Beyonder being the next large scale threat. Or because the Kree and Skrull have been introduced, they could branch off into other alien races so the next threat could be the Kree Skull War or Operation Galactic Storm; so it won't be a universal threat but still a galactic threat which will cause the heroes to have an Earth contingent and a space contingent.

Boisterously Confused

Anybody know what Paltrow's contract terms are? Pepper Stark's got armor, legacy, an example to set, and a tragedy behind her. Iron Mama maybe?

Ultimate Member

Eh, I imagine that they'll just wait until Strange, Panther and Marvel all have sequels before planning the next Avengers movie.

Topping Endgame is all but impossible yes, but Marvel can wait it out. Expectations can lower over time

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I don't think it a spoiler to say The Russos put a pretty loud crescendo on the tune Feige set directors and actors humming over 10 years ago.

Now what? After the climactic Uber-brawl where does the MCU go next?

Will audiences accept anything as low key as Iron Man or Ant-Man again? Can Marvel Studios pull off a group self-contained stories, now that audiences have seen how big and loud it can get?
    Considering the success of Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and all the other solo movies in recent years? Yeah, audiences will continue to line up for smaller scale blockbusters.

Seriously, Endgame didn't change everything forever and movies will never be the same again. People still want to be entertained, same as always.

Isn't Namor still owned by someone else? I seem to remember he was the one Mutant that Fox didn't own.

I think what they will do is tell a bunch of small, self-contained stories, while subtly building up to Secret War. Now that Disney has almost every character under their umbrella (and as long as they can continue to have a good partnership with Sony for Spider-Man; at least until Disney inevitably buys Sony), and since they already did Civil War, Secret War would seem to be the next logical story to tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Anybody know what Paltrow's contract terms are? Pepper Stark's got armor, legacy, an example to set, and a tragedy behind her. Iron Mama maybe?
    Paltrow has said in interviews that she's done. Something along the lines of her getting too old for the role.

I honestly don't think Zemo would work as a villain anymore. His whole mission was to tear the Avengers apart; after Endgame, that seems highly unlikely to happen. And while I would LOVE to see Hammer brought back, I don't know how well he'd work without Stark being around to play off of. And Zola seems like he's dead for good.