Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Jump points sound like natural phenomena to me. A portal network is constructed. There is no reason to believe you cannot get where you want to go with current MCU FTL. The new FTL in CM must logically be different and someway better. It could be faster or more energy efficient or something else but at this point we don’t know. If only the writers had enough sense to say Marvell was working on a better or different FTL drive we would not be having this discussion.
    Constructed or natural, the Kree clearly have it mapped out.

It would be much more useful to a race trying to avoid Kree detection to use a different method of galactic travel
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Constructed or natural, the Kree clearly have it mapped out.

It would be much more useful to a race trying to avoid Kree detection to use a different method of galactic travel
    Sure the new FTL must have some advantage all I am saying is we don’t know what it is. We have never seen Carol traveling FTL. I mean you could speculate that these jump points are caused by stars as they usually are in SF and therefore the new drive would be better in going between galaxies but it is only speculation at this time.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Jump points sound like natural phenomena to me. A portal network is constructed. There is no reason to believe you cannot get where you want to go with current MCU FTL. The new FTL in CM must logically be different and someway better. It could be faster or more energy efficient or something else but at this point we don’t know. If only the writers had enough sense to say Marvell was working on a better or different FTL drive we would not be having this discussion.
    There are several major advantages that are immediately apparent:

1) The ability to go straight to a location instead of having to go through multiple was points, which is shown to be extremely unpleasant in GotG2;

2) The ability to get somewhere without having to follow a path that everyone who uses that network would be able to precisely predict and possibly set ambushes at;

3) The ability to go to places that are not close to a jump point without having to fly for possible generations for both the purposes of exploration and hiding from people who have access to the jump point network;

5) The ability to move into and out of range of a non FTL-capable ship instantly, making outmaneuvering or escaping you functionally impossible;

6) The option to strap an FTL engine onto some sort of missile and form what would probably be the most powerful weapon in the universe;

7) The sheer number of knock on discoveries and applications one might find from the entire process, like mass producing people as powerful as Captain Marvel.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 05-13-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    There are several major advantages that are immediately apparent:

1) The ability to go straight to a location instead of having to go through multiple was points, which is shown to be extremely unpleasant in GotG2;

2) The ability to get somewhere without having to follow a path that everyone that uses that network wouldn't be able to precisely predict and possibly set ambushes at;

3) The ability to go to places that are not close to a jump point without having to fly for possible generations for both the purposes of exploration and hiding from people who have access to the jump point network;

5) The ability to move into and out of range of a non FTL-capable ship instantly, making outmaneuvering or escaping you functionally impossible;

6) The option to strap an FTL engine onto some sort of missile and form what would probably be the most powerful weapon in the universe;

7) The sheer number of knock on discoveries and applications one might find from the entire process, like mass producing people as powerful as Captain Marvel.
    It just occurred to me that we are all assuming the new drive does not use jump points. We have no evidence that is true. The new drive might just be faster between said points.

It just occurred to me that we are all assuming the new drive does not use jump points. We have no evidence that is true. The new drive might just be faster between said points.
    The very end of Captain Marvel shows us the Skrull ship and Carol blast out of the solar system at what appears to be a straight acceleration to FTL. No wormhole or jump portal appears like we saw with Ronans ship
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

The way I read it was that the experiment that gave Carol her powers came from trying to create a better method of travel. They don't have Bifrost tech, and the jump point thing, as seen in both GotG2 and Ragnarok, seems a bit limited.

I would thus absolutely believe that Carol can just flat out ignore petty things like specific relativity and accelerate herself (and stuff she's bringing with her) right on up to FTL speeds.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I'm wondering if there's going to be a long term issue with Carol's powers now that the Space Stone has been destroyed, since she seemed to actively draw power from it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I'm wondering if there's going to be a long term issue with Carol's powers now that the Space Stone has been destroyed, since she seemed to actively draw power from it.
    I doubt they'll bring that up tbh. The universe not having a time stone screws the universe over according to the ancient one yet the main timeline is gonna keep chugging along without a time stone.

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    I doubt they'll bring that up tbh. The universe not having a time stone screws the universe over according to the ancient one yet the main timeline is gonna keep chugging along without a time stone.
    It's not so much not having the Time Stone exist do much as not having the Time Stone be available to stop Dormammu with if it is removed from that point in the timeline and never returned.

For the record there are many FTL drives in fiction. Since it is brought up will display ones I know of.

Hyper Drive: Apparently in some fiction you jump and go into another dimension/whatever but your using a path finder/navigating unit so need to find correct lane and coordinate so you do not die when in real space.

Star Burst/Blink Drive: From Sword Of the Stars game, Lovecraft, and Farscape. Due to biology ( psionic crew or Bio ship) one makes a series of portals/teleporting cus psionic until final point.

Worm Hole Maker: Yeah I vaguely remember stories of tech that makes a worm hole two way point for instant travel.

Web Way: Star Gate, Eldar And Babylon. Gates, go in, leave out said gate. Like Hyper Drive Just more detailed and mapped.

Gravity Surfing: What The Tyranids Do. They use the gravity axis of planets and other orbiting stuff to sling shot space to space.

Destructive/Bores/etc: You Blaster a hole into warp space, go in and vlastvway our the other end ( Remember from Master of Orion 2)

Orion System: Theorized And was used in a book. Basically use nuclear bombs and pushed by shock waves. Supposed to be really fast but dangerous.

Warp Drive: Star Trek, no true Hyper space dimension but folding time space and being pushed along that way. And due to what I have seen in Trek, it’s pretty slow compared to other methods.

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    But is it?

Spider-Man: Far From Home is set to introduce the multiverse as a result of the snap tearing holes in reality. That's according to Nick Fury. He might be wrong and the trailers might be misdirecting us - as they tend to do all the time. The holes might actually be due to the fact that the Infinity Stones were destroyed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    But is it?

Spider-Man: Far From Home is set to introduce the multiverse as a result of the snap tearing holes in reality. That's according to Nick Fury. He might be wrong and the trailers might be misdirecting us - as they tend to do all the time. The holes might actually be due to the fact that the Infinity Stones were destroyed.
    Yeah but whose Snap? The Snap? BannerSnap? IronSnap?