Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 55 of 55
  1. #46
    Son of Satan DevilBat66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    937
    Batman - Detective Comics - Doomsday Clock - Batman: Last Knight On Earth - Silver Surfer: Black

  2. #47
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed. The sheer amount of work involved boggles my mind. You should be proud friend.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  3. #48
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    Sweet! Thanks amigo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed. The sheer amount of work involved boggles my mind. You should be proud friend.
    Thanks a lot. Luckily, my job allows a lot of time to tinker with stuff like this, which I can then use as teaching materials (I'm an ESL tutor). It's a happy accident that my own obsession with superheroes has paid off now that so many young people around the world are singularly obsessed with learning everything they can about these vast superhero universes. Believe it or not, I spend much of my day teaching English reading, grammar, vocabulary, writing, and culture via superhero mythology. I've got students who have literally memorized half of the Earths in Morrison's Multiversity Guidebook, not because I've asked them to, but because they want to know everything they can about this stuff.

  4. #49
    Son of Satan DevilBat66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    937

    Default

    This is super cool, Bored.
    Batman - Detective Comics - Doomsday Clock - Batman: Last Knight On Earth - Silver Surfer: Black

  5. #50
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Cumbria U.K.
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Bored' that is some serious work, you must have DC running through your veins. Makes me think' if you can be tolerant with what King is trying to do' with HiC, others' who are probably not invested as much as yourself' should maybe word their criticisms a little better, so not to generate all the negativity. My apologies again' understanding you better now.

  6. #51
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Bored' that is some serious work, you must have DC running through your veins. Makes me think' if you can be tolerant with what King is trying to do' with HiC, others' who are probably not invested as much as yourself' should maybe word their criticisms a little better, so not to generate all the negativity. My apologies again' understanding you better now.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Here's the latest revision to the Krypton stuff. I feel this gets across how I view the current state of DCU history than any one specific version could.



    By the way, I understand the pull towards negativity. I've fallen down that hole myself in my younger days (and even now, on occasion). We get so wrapped up in this stuff that we take any slight to these characters we love so much as an attack upon ourselves and react accordingly. As I got a little older and wiser, I realised what a waste all that negative emotion was and channelled by passion into projects like this instead of arguing with fellow fans who have a different taste in comics than I do. I am much, much happier with my comics fandom as a result.

    If anyone is interested, I did a more Superman specific history that attempts to do for him what Morrison did with his approach to Batman's long history.



    I call it "Superman of All Ages". Again, if you have any feedback, please send it my way.

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 05-16-2019 at 08:42 PM.

  7. #52
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Cumbria U.K.
    Posts
    236

    Default

    I am gonna adopt that mindset. For example, was venomous towards Bendis and his work on 'Superman.' Sorry Mr. Bendis. Mind you, not the apology he was talking about, as not caring for characterization & direction. Happy others are enjoying though. Liking what he is doing on 'Young Justice' though.
    Last edited by Franny6422; 05-18-2019 at 03:27 PM.

  8. #53
    Astonishing Member BatmanJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I no longer care about continuity, and that's a good thing.

    I'd stopped reading a lot of DC around 2008 (basically everything except Green lantern), but came back for the fresh start of The New 52. It was a real mixed bag, but something immediately evident was that the editors and writers had no idea what the continuity was, to the point that there were only two Superman titles and they were contradicting each other. Fans had no answers, other than if you see it in a New 52 comic, it is New 52 canon. Otherwise, assume it isn't.

    It was infuriating, and I just stopped caring. Because it doesn't matter if a New 52 issue of Batman means that Knightfall no longer happened (or happened differently), because Knightfall did happen. I've read the whole thing, like 10 times. I own all the comics. I've bought it in various trades about 5 times. And I was only pissing myself off by thinking it mattered.

    An good example is Jeff Lemire's magnificent Green Arrow run. This couldn't have happened without either the reboot, or some serious mental gymnastics continuity wise pre-Flashpoint. The garbage that came before it was almost entirely ignored, other than the basics (rich kid, island, arrow-based heroics), and one or two supporting characters, and Lemire just told a damn good Green Arrow story. When he left, I checked out the new writer (from Arrow), and decided to drop the book, something I never would have done in the days I obsessed over continuity, fearing I'd miss something.

    As far as I am concerned these days, each writer now establishes their own continuity. If they reference a previous story, fine, that's canon to this particular run. If it has no bearing on their story, why worry about it? Grant Morrison's "everything happened" idea works for him. Scott Snyder tends to create his own mythos, often ignoring what came before. Geoff Johns contradicts continuity in his own runs when he has a better idea, and that's also fine.

    Marvel have this great trick where they have one long narrative, no complete company-wide reboots, but their readers don't have the same dogged obsession with continuity that DC fans seem to have. Very few people think back on the unpleasant aspects of Iron Man's first appearance, or that it all worked on laughably outdated technology (or general ideas on technology, Stan Lee was no scientist), or even that it's not a very good comic. They remember the important story beats, and if something is referenced in a new story, they aren't looking to whether that contradicts something Happy hogan said in issue #107.

    I think that Crisis on Infinite Earths (among others attempts to "fix" or "streamline" continuity) instilled an artificial sense of importance in continuity. DC's constantly drawing attention to its own continuity does, itself, create many of the problems they keep trying to fix.

    My point is this; if you want current continuity to be a continuation of the New 52, then it is. If you want it to be pre-Flashpoint with a little Rebirth added, then so be it. Stop worrying about everything fitting into a narrow continuity and just enjoy the comic you're reading. If you're anything like me, you'll be a lot happier.
    I couldn't have said it better. Well done. I feel exactly the same way.

  9. #54
    Incredible Member LP22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    803

    Default

    It's still post-Flashpoint but with post 86 crisis merging with its history like black canary,Wally and iris west and Tim drake remembering their old lifetimes as well as characters from post crisis coming to the post flashpoint reality like post crisis Clark and lois and also bart Allen and connor,not to mention superman reborn merging the post crisis and flashpoint timelines as well.

    I expect the Doomsday clock ending to merge the two timelines once and for all keeping the stuff fans like and get rid of stuff that are too complicated.

    Maybe resulting in a relaunch of the entire line.
    Last edited by LP22; 05-18-2019 at 08:36 AM.

  10. #55
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I no longer care about continuity, and that's a good thing.

    I'd stopped reading a lot of DC around 2008 (basically everything except Green lantern), but came back for the fresh start of The New 52. It was a real mixed bag, but something immediately evident was that the editors and writers had no idea what the continuity was, to the point that there were only two Superman titles and they were contradicting each other. Fans had no answers, other than if you see it in a New 52 comic, it is New 52 canon. Otherwise, assume it isn't.

    It was infuriating, and I just stopped caring. Because it doesn't matter if a New 52 issue of Batman means that Knightfall no longer happened (or happened differently), because Knightfall did happen. I've read the whole thing, like 10 times. I own all the comics. I've bought it in various trades about 5 times. And I was only pissing myself off by thinking it mattered.

    An good example is Jeff Lemire's magnificent Green Arrow run. This couldn't have happened without either the reboot, or some serious mental gymnastics continuity wise pre-Flashpoint. The garbage that came before it was almost entirely ignored, other than the basics (rich kid, island, arrow-based heroics), and one or two supporting characters, and Lemire just told a damn good Green Arrow story. When he left, I checked out the new writer (from Arrow), and decided to drop the book, something I never would have done in the days I obsessed over continuity, fearing I'd miss something.

    As far as I am concerned these days, each writer now establishes their own continuity. If they reference a previous story, fine, that's canon to this particular run. If it has no bearing on their story, why worry about it? Grant Morrison's "everything happened" idea works for him. Scott Snyder tends to create his own mythos, often ignoring what came before. Geoff Johns contradicts continuity in his own runs when he has a better idea, and that's also fine.

    Marvel have this great trick where they have one long narrative, no complete company-wide reboots, but their readers don't have the same dogged obsession with continuity that DC fans seem to have. Very few people think back on the unpleasant aspects of Iron Man's first appearance, or that it all worked on laughably outdated technology (or general ideas on technology, Stan Lee was no scientist), or even that it's not a very good comic. They remember the important story beats, and if something is referenced in a new story, they aren't looking to whether that contradicts something Happy hogan said in issue #107.

    I think that Crisis on Infinite Earths (among others attempts to "fix" or "streamline" continuity) instilled an artificial sense of importance in continuity. DC's constantly drawing attention to its own continuity does, itself, create many of the problems they keep trying to fix.

    My point is this; if you want current continuity to be a continuation of the New 52, then it is. If you want it to be pre-Flashpoint with a little Rebirth added, then so be it. Stop worrying about everything fitting into a narrow continuity and just enjoy the comic you're reading. If you're anything like me, you'll be a lot happier.
    Basically how I feel. Stuff gets thrown out and then brought back so often in serialized fiction itís impossible to keep track of everything. There will be more reboots in the future, more origin stories, more everything, and thatís fine. As long as I enjoy the story being told I donít care about whether it contradicts continuity.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •