Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Talking

Honesty DC continuity is so f'ed up right now I don't know anymore what version or combination of versions I view as being canon. I'm just trying to enjoy or more precisely survive the ride.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I follow Bored's custom-made continuity.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Nope. Honestly, based on their own retconning, the New 52 was never its individual thing in the first place. It was pre-Flashpoint with time and events stolen. So technically it can be said it always has has been the pre-FP world. The more that stuff got re-added, during and well after Rebirth, the more that became the foundation again. It is then sprinkled with some slight New 52 ideas, and a couple new things independent of either continuity. Combine it altogether and you get one big incoherent mess, but that's what it is.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-13-2019 at 12:47 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Probably the most evident remaining vestige of the New 52 is the Flash's costume, with chin strap...that, and the fact that Barry's mother was murdered during his childhood by the Reverse Flash, though to be fair, that was a Pre-New 52 development (just barely).

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I follow Bored's custom-made continuity.

Thankyew.

please read my fully illustrated history of the DCU. I think it's awesome.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 05-13-2019 at 01:19 AM.

I’m curious to hear an answer to this but hate bringing New 52 up because it can be very divisive:

Would New 52 Fans accept getting “Their Superman” and their DCU back in a Similar Form as Earth One, Graphic Novels every so often set in that Universe
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

DC has seen so many times what happens when you replace Character X with Character Y, and then bring Character X back, both moves causing division in the fandom.

So the most logical thing to do is to do that with the whole universe.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    That's actually been out for quite some time now. I'm pretty sure I've read characters say how they've been operating for much longer than that.
    There's no clearer indicator of this than Priest's Justice League. In one issue Cyborg said he was a league founder. Which is true in New 52. But in the next, he's suddenly saying the team started 15 years ago, not 5. Which makes it impossible for him to be a founder as he would've still been a child (also, Justice League Odyssey has confirmed he's old friends with Starfire, who didn't know him in New 52, meaning that the New Teen Titans continuity was restored too and New 52 JL wasn't even Cyborg's origin now). No Justice then confirmed that Martian Manhunter was a founder instead, matching classic continuity.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    I’m curious to hear an answer to this but hate bringing New 52 up because it can be very divisive:

Would New 52 Fans accept getting “Their Superman” and their DCU back in a Similar Form as Earth One, Graphic Novels every so often set in that Universe
    I would love to see Morrison’s jeans & t-shirt social crusader Superman arrive from his adventures throughout the Multiverse to replace JMS’s abandoned Superman on Earth One. There’s a lot of gas left in that tank, me thinks. He’d also fit in nicely with Johns’s very human and imperfect Batman and Morrison’s Wonder Woman whose Golden Age kinky side has been restored just as Superman’s early social consciousness. Hardman’s Green Lantern is similarly looking to be more proactive about making radical social changes.

An Earth One JLA with the Authority’s society smashing ethos might be just what the line needed. Overtly political superhero comics from DC could work here because of the alternate Earth angle. Or maybe that’s too scary an idea for DC’s new president.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The short answer is no. Superman has a completely different history. WW has a completely different history. Batman seems to be slowly getting back to Year One as his official origin. I imagine by the time all this Rebirth stuff is done, it'll just be the pre-Flashpoint universe all over again. Doomsday Clock is setting up to bring back the JSA again. I think at one point they said Superman had been around for something like 15 years. Don't quote me on that though. I think if we want a New 52 universe, we'll have to twist DC's arm to make it an Ultimates style line.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I would. In fact, I'm of the belief that it should have been an Ultimates type universe from the get go. Just so long as they come out way more frequently than EO did.
    Assassinate Putin!

I know I for one would gladly accept such a development.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

There is no concrete answer. Im absolutely certain that virtually no one currently at DC has a concrete answer. The current state of the Universe is really what editorial or what the writer wills it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post
    If Dr. Manhattan is the culprit then why did he choose Pandora to tell Barry Allen to combine three timelines together to create the New 52?
    It's been forever since I read any of this, but if I recall right.....

When Barry tried to fix Flashpoint, Pandora took that opportunity to pull Vertigo and WildStorm into the DCU (Barry wasn't aware of what she was doing). She said something about needing to make the DCU stronger and more ruthless so it could survive a coming threat (and she wasn't happy about doing it). I'm guessing this is the same moment when Manhattan stole a decade from DC; he needed Pandora's help because he already had his hands full stealing history. With her job finished, Manhattan killed her so she couldn't turn on him.

That's how I'm remembering things but I do not trust my memory on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    That's actually been out for quite some time now. I'm pretty sure I've read characters say how they've been operating for much longer than that.
    It's definitely true for some characters, but last I knew not the world. Which is weird, but aren't cases like Clark and Wally supposed to be mostly isolated incidents; signs of reality snapping, or have we moved past that towards a fuller reconciliation and I didn't notice (I am way behind on a lot of books these days)?

If the story is good I'll read it. Doesn't really matter what the continuity is.

The New52 had a lot of dross but it did have some really interesting stuff too. I wouldn't mind it being the basis of an alternate earth. It'd depend on the execution, like everything.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    An Earth One JLA with the Authority’s society smashing ethos might be just what the line needed. Overtly political superhero comics from DC could work here because of the alternate Earth angle. Or maybe that’s too scary an idea for DC’s new president.
    Pretty sure that is way too scary.

I'd love to see it though. But I'd want it to be less....blunt.....than the Authority. I don't need Superman flying through Giganta's skull. That book was great because it always went over the line but the logic behind their actions was limited and adolescent (which was the guilty fun of the series). I'd want a Ultimate JLA to have a smarter, better game plan for the long term. I'd want less "Miller" and more "Morrison at his sanest and smartest."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.