Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    There is a future for Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew, but I don't think it's in the standard DC Comics publishing.

They can introduce the characters in print to a wider audience through their new DC Zoom imprint.

They can also license the characters for merchandise like toys, plushies, T-shirts, etc.

Also, they should develop an animated series or film. I think the Zoo Crew's world would look great on the big screen in 3D CGI.

But as part of DC's regular publishing initiatives? No. Zoo Crew was not a big hit even back when it was first introduced, and there's no reason to suspect that it will all of a sudden sell enough to devote resources to it.

DC has shown, with their linewide cutbacks, that they don't want to publish lots of low-selling niche titles anymore.

As I showed in the April Sales thread, the average DC title outsells the average Marvel title, and that's probably the way they want it.
    I would think they might make a good product for children's online games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I would guess that Captain Carrot is one revamp away from being a going concern again. I think an animated crossover with the Loony Toons would be great.
    That would be great, especially if you got Sholly Fisch (the writer of Scooby Doo Team Up) to write it.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Retired

DC once had a great line of funny animals. I'd say that from about 1945 to 1955 this was one of their primary lines of comics. Some of that was revived with the Zoo Crew, as Peter Porkchop is one of the original DC funny animals. I always saw the Zoo Crew as just a way for Roy Thomas and Scott Shaw to preserve the realm of DC funny animals, in the format that was most popular at the time, super-hero teams. But DC should really be thinking about maintaining much more than just their super-hero franchises, because you never know what genre is going to enjoy a resurgence next.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I suspect some writer will get an idea to have one of them brutally killed and eaten by a human, sparking a war between the anthropomorphic animals and humans.
    It'll be big and bloody and EXTREME!
    I am heartily sick of Big & Bloody & EXTREME! stories. Give me stories I wouldn't mind sharing with an older child.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Mighty Member

I'd like to see it happen. But it just don't think it would sell. I feel like kids aren't really into comic books these days. Give the Zoo Crew to Mark Russell. That'll be interesting.
    Last edited by Raijin; 05-13-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

God, I would love to have a new Zoo Crew book to read!
    I absolutely loved the book when it first came out.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Again...to paraphrase JMS regarding Superman:

I would crawl across a mile of broken glass and monkey vomit to write a Captain Carrot book.

https://www.gocomics.com/mycage/2011/02/28

I do have to disagree with some of the posts here though. While a Zoo Crew book should be all ages, ala the Bongo Comics line or Bone, it shouldn't be specifically aimed at "only" children. IE, kid friendly, but not kids specific.

To me CCAHAZC worked best in the beginning of it's run, when all the book's arcs were spoofs of specific kinds of comic book stories/genres (When the book first started it was supposed to be Jack Kirby by the way of Loony Tunes [or vice versa]): Team Origin stories (first 2 issues), Horror comics (Mudd), Giant Monsters (Frogzilla), Space Invasions (Bunny from Beyond), Barbarian stories (Bow-Zar), Time travel (Time Keeper), Team crossover events (meeting the Just'a Lotta Animals), and Solo Hero originals (Little Cheese's introduction).

The issues that varied from that, once the original creative team left/couldn't keep up with the book as well as the fill in issues in between, were all weak and varied greatly in quality ...even while being weak.

I think today's comic writing of choosing an exciting event that you can promote in the book, then writing to it, over the character driven stories of when CC was out are actually perfect for the kinds of satire that The Zoo Crew used to do so well when they first started.
    Last edited by edpower; 05-24-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

If DC was smart they'd bring it back and team up scholastic to get this in the hands of kids.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

All-New Member

I'd love to see Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew return, but I think it's a hard sell. Kids can't even afford comic books today, and the only people who would buy this are the nostalgia-minded, or if they did a gritty, mature themed take on this.
    I think DC's best option for re-introducing is in a cartoon format. They have several properties that are begging for the Saturday morning cartoon treatment. They could do this and then 'Mazing Man and I think it has potential. If the kids love it, they'll get mom and dad to buy it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Zoo Crew would be perfect for a animated series.