Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default is there any conceivable future for Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew?

I miss them. Too much to hope that anyone will ever bring them back?

Spectacular Member

I do like be the updated version in the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I miss them. Too much to hope that anyone will ever bring them back?
    Probably (at least, the version that Roy Thomas gave us).

Just hope Tom King doesn't get interested in them . . .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I would guess that Captain Carrot is one revamp away from being a going concern again. I think an animated crossover with the Loony Toons would be great.

And they'll always show up in Multiverse stories.

Maybe, time will tell I suppose but right now things don't look good.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I suspect some writer will get an idea to have one of them brutally killed and eaten by a human, sparking a war between the anthropomorphic animals and humans.
    It'll be big and bloody and EXTREME!
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-13-2019 at 02:11 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Retired

Unless you're expecting the imminent end of the world or the complete collapse of DC and its copyrights, I don't see the point in being pessimistic about the return of any comic book characters. Given the fullness of time, anything can and does happen. Unfortunately, we as human beings don't last as long, so there's a lot we won't live to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Unless you're expecting the imminent end of the world or the complete collapse of DC and its copyrights, I don't see the point in being pessimistic about the return of any comic book characters. Given the fullness of time, anything can and does happen. Unfortunately, we as human beings don't last as long, so there's a lot we won't live to see.
    But if there aren't any human beings, who would create and read the comic books?

I think it's due for a revival and I think it'd be a great concept for an animated series on DC Universe. I liked during Infinite Crisis that when the animals passed over to Earth Prime, they became animals and not cartoon animals. A wild concept. (Heh.) It makes me wanna see versions of Krypto, Streaky, Jumpa, Topo, Ace, Isis, Diablo, Beppo, Comet, etc. cross worlds for a team up with the Zoo Crew.

(It's also an interesting notion based on what's happening over in the Wildlands in the Shazam title.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But if there aren't any human beings, who would create and read the comic books?

I think he means we'll be dead by then but a far flung distant generation might need the hope and inspiration of Captain Carrot to help get them through the depressing future world. You know, assuming that they have time in between running from one climate disaster to the next, super bacteria, rogue self driving cars, and the lingering effects of Trumponomics.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think with the way they used Spider Ham in the "Into the Spiderverse" movie it might spark new interest in the funny animal superhero concept. I always liked the Zoo Crew, but even more I loved the Justa Lotta Animals.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Many years ago my nephew insisted that I read the Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson. I found it very dry and boring, but I ploughed through it--one thing that did give me hope was that they developed some treatment that allowed human beings to live hundreds of years longer. I'm depending on that happening soon--maybe a treatment to revive my telomeres. Otherwise I don't think I have much chance of continuing to read comics into the next century--maybe there's hope for you. Still, as I learned from VENUS ON THE HALF-SHELL, immortality is a pain in the ass (quite literally for the main protagonist).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    . . . Otherwise I don't think I have much chance of continuing to read comics into the next century--maybe there's hope for you . . .
    Considering how many years I was around for in the last century, . . .

Amazing Member

Perhaps a better question is why Captain Carrot hasn't been revived as a kid-oriented comic in a long time. I guess that says something about the perceived market, but you'd think Scholastic would be interested in something like that.

There is a future for Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew, but I don't think it's in the standard DC Comics publishing.

They can introduce the characters in print to a wider audience through their new DC Zoom imprint.

They can also license the characters for merchandise like toys, plushies, T-shirts, etc.

Also, they should develop an animated series or film. I think the Zoo Crew's world would look great on the big screen in 3D CGI.

But as part of DC's regular publishing initiatives? No. Zoo Crew was not a big hit even back when it was first introduced, and there's no reason to suspect that it will all of a sudden sell enough to devote resources to it.

DC has shown, with their linewide cutbacks, that they don't want to publish lots of low-selling niche titles anymore.

As I showed in the April Sales thread, the average DC title outsells the average Marvel title, and that's probably the way they want it.