View Poll Results: Well...will it?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It will!

31 60.78%
  • Ehhh...I don't think so

20 39.22%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Spider-Man: Far From Home dips only 7% on the Fourth, well below the typical Fourth of July drop (usually it is around 30%).

With that, if it plays exactly The Amazing Spider-Man for the rest of the weekend, it’ll end the weekend with roughly $190 million. Of course, TASM’s first Thursday was the 5th, so there was more of a spread on the latter half of post-holiday days off. It could realistically overperform that number. Of course, it could also underperform that number. Either way, it looks set to finally top Spider-Man 2’s $152 million long-weekend debut from back in 2004, as the largest opening frame for a Spider-Man film in history.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Deadline is estimating that the 6-day gross for Far From Home (Tuesday through Sunday) could go as high as $180 million.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/spider-...ar-1202641901/

It should hold in its second weekend due to lack of competition.

But it still remains to be seen what effect the Lion King will have on it. I still can't be bullish on Spider-Man hitting $1 billion until I see what happens in its third weekend.

And, of course, 2 weeks after Lion King comes Hobbs and Shaw, which could slow down Spider-Man's momentum even further.

We now have better estimates for the 6-day opening of Spider-Man: Far from Home.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4526&p=.htm

Box Office Mojo is saying that SFFH is estimated to have grossed $185 million domestically over the 6 days.

Foreign grosses for the 3-day weekend were $244 million.

Globally, Spider-Man: Far from Home is now at $580 million.

Obviously, this does seem to put the odds in the movie's favor to cross the $1 billion mark even with Lion King opening in 12 days.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    We now have better estimates for the 6-day opening of Spider-Man: Far from Home.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4526&p=.htm

Box Office Mojo is saying that SFFH is estimated to have grossed $185 million domestically over the 6 days.

Foreign grosses for the 3-day weekend were $244 million.

Globally, Spider-Man: Far from Home is now at $580 million.

Obviously, this does seem to put the odds in the movie's favor to cross the $1 billion mark even with Lion King opening in 12 days.
    Yeah, it was particularly huge in China.

If it doesn’t cross $1 billion, it’s going to get very close to it given that massive opening.

We now have the ACTUALS from Spider-Man's 6-day opening. It was right in line with the estimate at $185,063,062.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

The global is also close to the estimate at $577,766,500.

So, more than halfway to a billion after 6 days.

Thats pretty good.

One perhaps interesting anecdote for southern California. Not sure how many of you have heard, but we've been having some big earthquakes lately. When I saw the movie on Friday night, an earthquake hit at about the 30 minute mark of the movie. Many of the patrons left the theater, as it was pretty scary. Me and my daughter and her friend were among the about half who stayed.

So its just one showing but I wonder how many of those who left will go back and pay to see the movie again. Just one of those little unexpected things that could bolster ticket proceeds in the long run. I can't imagine my theater was the only one where people evacuated.

As a further anecdote, the earthquake happened during one of those great Mysterio fight scenes. It was epic and fit the scene, like an ultra 3-D experience!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Through nine days Far From Home has made 220 million domestically. Captain Marvel is a good recent comparison and through nine days it had made 245 million. Captain Marvel finished with 1.11 billion total and made 62% of its money overseas. Far From home is currently at 64% of its money overseas. While Captain Marvel is probably the best comparison its not a perfect one since day nine of CM was a Saturday whereas for Far From Home is a Wednesday due to Spidey starting midweek.

But that said it looks promising that Far From Home will break a billion though its probably going to be close.

Spider-Man: Far From Home comes close to $230 million before the weekend. Will exit the weekend between $270-280 million.

This is obviously independent of the international numbers, which should probably approach $875 million by the end of this next weekend (the rest of the markets for Far From Home opened up this past week). In short, it’ll definitely outperform Spider-Man 3 and Spider-Man: Homecoming by the time The Lion King arrives to become the all-time highest grossing Spider-Man film. I’ll say it’ll pass a billion, probably the second weekend of The Lion King’s reign. The question remains how much higher Spider-Man: Far From Home can go with two action and family-friendly biggies coming out in the next couple weeks.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Weekend estimates are up and Spidey's looking at close to 850 million world wide.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4528&p=.htm

So a billion dollars is still very much in sight even with heavy competition approaching. I can see Spidey mimicking Toy Story and becoming a strong 2nd behind the Lion King in coming weeks.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Spidey is running about 10 million ahead of Captain Marvel after its second full weekend. However Spidey had a three day head start by starting on a Tuesday. After 13 days CM is actually about 8 million ahead of Spidey.

Basically I think its very safe to say they will end with similar numbers domestically. CM as I said earlier finished with 1.1 billion total with 426 million (37.8%) of that being domestic. Spiderman is currently only running at 32.4% domestic take meaning its doing better internationally since the domestic numbers are similar.

So I'd say now its not a question of whether it breaks a billion but rather if it can beat Captain Marvel in the 1.1 billion range.

It's made 850 mil in 14 days, the billion mark is a given at this point

Unless something really odd happenes like a huge 99% drop for some reason there's really no way it can't happen

Hm I wonder if Sony is going to see this and venom As a reason for not needing the MCU anymore?
    Last edited by choptop; 07-15-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Unless something really odd happenes like a huge 99% drop for some reason there's really no way it can't happen

Hm I wonder if Sony is going to see this and venom As a reason for not needing the MCU anymore?
    Why they didnt make this movie, just distributed it. Marvel has creative control. Its beneficial for both sides. Venom got bad reviews but was fun enough imo to still be enjoyable to General public. But its defiently not a home run like both MCU produced Spidey films. Which got high Mark's across the board.

I personaly enjoyed Venom but I havent watched since the one time in theaters and even reviewed it as being a bad movie but yet thanks to Tom Hardy really fun. Surprisingly funny which might be a issue for some when it comes to Venom but judging the movie on it's own I had fun watching it. If every bad CBM was this fun I'd never take issue. Aquaman for me was similar except one big difference. I didnt find anything about Aquaman bad. Lacking some things sure and not the strongest writing but everything was solid and the movie was insanely fun in both tone and visuals.

But yea anyway I dont think a fun Venom movie that just hit at the right time and got bad reviews for the most parts. Even the good reviews seemed to not praise it too highly. And two Spiderman movies that Marvel made for them has restored them confidence. And they know if they pull out theres no going back. I just dont think Sony is as eager to pull out as some people think. Now if Morbius and Venom 2 are huge hits and do a little better criticaly. Sure but while I dont know that they cant I have no idea if they can use Tom Hollands Spiderman after the deal expires. He was cast for Civil war for all we know in his contract it may state he can only appear in MCU movies and Sony would have to recast spiderman. Seem like a possibility Marvel wouldnt want Sony being able to pull out and then parading the Spiderman from the MCU around in they're unconnected movies. Still think Marvel should lend Sony animated rights for a Aninated MCU to build on Spiderverse. Marvel isnt making a theatrical animated movies so why not. If it keeps Sony happy and doing they're own thing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post

Quite the opposite.

Granted foreign markets hadn't blown up they have now, Sony have never been able to make Spider-man into a billion dollar movie despite the characters popularity worldwide.

The only reason the movie has rebounded from the disaster of the Amazing Spider-man movies and reaching it is right now is because of the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quite the opposite.

Granted foreign markets hadn't blown up they have now, Sony have never been able to make Spider-man into a billion dollar movie despite the characters popularity worldwide.

The only reason the movie has rebounded from the disaster of the Amazing Spider-man movies and reaching it is right now is because of the MCU.
    That's what I'm saying the MCU has pumpt spider Man back up they may see this as a sign that they don't need marvel anymore how big would that villain unvers thing be with spider Man init? How much money do they stand to make? Don't forget they can probably allweys make another deal down the line if they have to allso people who work in movies can be stupid.