View Poll Results: Well...will it?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It will!

31 60.78%
  • Ehhh...I don't think so

20 39.22%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Will SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME be the first billion dollar SPIDER-MAN film?

Hey guys! With Avengers: Endgame largely behind us, and Spider-Man: Far From Home's marketing really gearing up, Marvel might have its first billion dollar trifecta. According to Box Office Pro, we are looking at an opening six-day frame of anywhere from $190 million to $230 million. The last Spider-Man movie to open over the extended Fourth of July weekend was The Amazing Spider-Man. With lukewarm reception, The Amazing Spider-Man got $137 million in its first six days. Ironically, these two Spider-Man films both faced a monstrous release only seventeen days after their respective releases. The Amazing Spider-Man went up against The Dark Knight Rises while Spider-Man: Far From Home will be going up against Disney's The Lion King on their respective seventeenth day of release. Assuming similar performance, then, we can expect a domestic finish of anywhere between $363 million and $439 million. Assuming a similar domestic/international split as Spider-Man: Homecoming had, we would get a finish for Spider-Man: Far From Home anywhere between $955 million and $1.15 billion. So, I pose this question to you guys, do you think Spider-Man: Far From Home will step up to be Sony's second billion dollar release? Or do you think it will fall short?
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

It's possible but iono depends how much of a boost endgame gives it.

Depends how good the movie is...but my bet is on the Spider-Verse sequel over the MCU films.

It has a decent shot.

Homecoming made close to 900 million, since then we've had Infinity War and Endgame to boost MCU Spidey's profile, and being the first movie post Endgame it certainly has a chance.

It will probably depend on word of mouth, if it's good it'll be in the 900 million - 1 billion ballpark.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Astonishing Member

I dont think so...i would like to see it reach that mark, but nah...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I dont think so...i would like to see it reach that mark, but nah...
    Why do you think that?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Why do you think that?
    I really dont know why, its just a feeling. Spidey is mega populare around the world but he never made it to 1 billion, i wonder why?

My guess is, that after Endgame it cant get any bigger. There must be a oversaturating of some kind.

But i hope i am wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I really dont know why, its just a feeling. Spidey is mega populare around the world but he never made it to 1 billion, i wonder why?

My guess is, that after Endgame it cant get any bigger. There must be a oversaturating of some kind.

But i hope i am wrong...
    He is mega popular and his most profitable film is still Spider-Man 3, which came out without 3D ticket price inflation and, obviously, regular ticket price inflation. Accounting for that, it would get that film above $1 billion. Obviously, there are a lot of other factors--Netflix and HBO weren't developing original content that kept people home. There are a lot more live service games today that keep people home to play than in that era. However, I think the reason that a good Spider-Man film like Spider-Man: Homecoming (A- CinemaScore with a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes) made "only" $880 million is likely because that particular character had pretty much reached his market saturation with the second reboot in only five years (the lone sequel to the last reboot effort only arrived in May of 2014).

I think a lot of people that were skeptical about this iteration have been won over by Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, which were both $2 billion+ earning films. Especially with the recent trailer playing up the connection to Avengers: Endgame, I think that less than half of the people (heck, a third if we look at it as a roughly $3 billion film) that went to see Avengers: Endgame would be interested in seeing the superhero with the closest personal connection to Iron Man, who is arguably the most popular character in the MCU, continue his journey in a permanently changed world.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

BANNED

The new plot leak makes me want to revise my no vote. It sounds a lot better than all that dimensional nonsense. Now if they would just stop marketing it like dimensional nonsense, it would be even more certain.

Astonishing Member

I love Holland's take on Spider-Man and I enjoyed SMHC. The IP deserves a billion dollar movie but I think it might fall short due to the fact it will be the seventh Spider-Man movie in 17 years. It's kind of wild to think Captain Marvel a relatively unknown IP will most likely top Far From Home. Hope it at least beats Venom's gross of 855M.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Nearly every MCU sequel so far has made more money than its predecessor with the sole exception being Age of Ultron. I don’t expect FFH to be any different.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Depends how good the movie is...but my bet is on the Spider-Verse sequel over the MCU films.
    Into the Spider-Verse didn't do very well at the box office (which is a shame, because it was pretty damn good).
    Last edited by Gorthon616; 05-14-2019 at 08:13 PM.

I think it will get a huge boost as a result of being the next MCU movie after Endgame, like Iron Man 3 after the first Avengers movie.

I just don't feel like it can hit $1 billion dollars.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    Into the Spider-Verse didn't do very well at the box office (which is a shame, because it was pretty damn good).
    It did pretty good. And in my opinion it's so much better than SMHC.