Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It will!

31 60.78%
  • Ehhh...I don't think so

20 39.22%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Nah the first Spider-Man movie was MASSIVE success, I don't think it making a billion back then is anything against it. To put it in perspective, Titanic was the only movie at the time that had grossed a billion. Now, there's a couple every year. In terms of just ticket sales (so ignoring inflation), it's still one of the best selling superhero movies ever.
    It most certainly was a massive success. But the inflation argument is still bad. There are so many variables involved that it's nearly impossible to gauge what it would have made today. And even then, making a billion dollars is still impressive as hell.

Also, fun fact. There are currently 39 movies that have made over a billion dollars, and out of them 19 are made by Disney(I'm not even counting the ones they owned later like Avatar and The Phantom Menace).

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    It most certainly was a massive success. But the inflation argument is still bad. There are so many variables involved that it's nearly impossible to gauge what it would have made today. And even then, making a billion dollars is still impressive as hell.

Also, fun fact. There are currently 39 movies that have made over a billion dollars, and out of them 19 are made by Disney(I'm not even counting the ones they owned later like Avatar and The Phantom Menace).
    It's bad if you look at it in a vaccum but it's one factor that is def worth considering. You def can't look at just gross by itself. Tickets sold is generally a better bet but that has its own issues. I'm looking it up now and there were 3 billion dollar movies that came out after Titanic between 1998-2009 and the other 35 came out in the last 11 years. It's not because the movies after that standpoint just became more popular. That's why you can't look at just raw box office gross from two movies of different eras to compare them

I ain't saying Far From Home isn't impressive by the way. A billion dollars is very impressive. I just made that comment because some people were sleeping on how big that 2002 Spider-Man movie was that year. It was a juggernaut. So were its sequels honestly

Disney is the box office king for sure

At this point, maybe.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I just made that comment because some people were sleeping on how big that 2002 Spider-Man movie was that year. It was a juggernaut. So were its sequels honestly
    Absolutely. SM1 beat LOTR, Star Wars and Harry Potter movies that same year, so in context of its time, it was king.

It’s getting very close to being the highest grossing Spider-Man movie worldwide.

67FAE7AF-723B-4CC7-85CA-72058660340C.jpg

Unadjusted of course.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    It’s getting very close to being the highest grossing Spider-Man movie worldwide.

67FAE7AF-723B-4CC7-85CA-72058660340C.jpg

Unadjusted of course.
    It already passed Spider-man 3. Currently sits at $970M WW

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Excellent. It can pass Aladdin then for this window until Lion King catches up, the top three 2019 movies WW will all be Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Yes, that was literally being updated on their website while I was cropping the photo! Brings a new meaning to ‘info correct at time of press’.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

It will and it should. It's like 15 times better than the first movie..

With $970 million in the tank right now, it should pass the billion dollar mark by the start of the next weekend. I'd expect a huge press release from Sony when Spider-Man: Far From Home becomes the first Spider-Man film to cross the billion dollar mark, probably with a sequel announcement in toe. This also helps feed up the Marvel Phase Four announcement with an additional title. I'm guessing MCU's Spider-Man 3 will launch in July of 2021.

Spider-Man: Far From Home seems like it will break the record for the highest grossing Sony title of all time, passing Skyfall's $1.106 billion gross. The only remaining question I have is if Far From Home can catch Captain Marvel to become the second highest grossing Marvel film of the year. It's up in the air right now. I mean, Captain Marvel finished with a $1.128 billion gross. If it catches Skyfall, I'd certainly say that Far From Home has a good shot at being the biggest solo superhero film of the year. That'd be two-for-two for Sony with their partnership with Marvel. (They had the biggest gross of any comic book movie in 2017 with Spider-Man: Homecoming after all.)
    Last edited by TheDarman; 07-21-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Usually big movie plans are announced leading up to the end of a financial year. Disney ends it’s last quarter in September but Sony ends it’s year in March I believe, so we may be waiting until the new year for longer plans from Sony.

Wider Spidy plans were announced last year in August so it’s not a hard and fast rule.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-21-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Ugh, what were you supposed to counter-argue again?
    Did you even bother reading the whole post?

Piracy is why we have things like Netflix.

Just because it wasn't as easy doesn't mean it wasn't as prevalent.

Comparing to pre-internet days there is validity in arguing that piracy has hurt modern numbers but anything from about 2000 on its just an excuse to make for why your movie didn't do as well. Aka those who want to prop up the current Spidey movies relative to the far more successful original trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    With $970 million in the tank right now, it should pass the billion dollar mark by the start of the next weekend. I'd expect a huge press release from Sony when Spider-Man: Far From Home becomes the first Spider-Man film to cross the billion dollar mark, probably with a sequel announcement in toe. This also helps feed up the Marvel Phase Four announcement with an additional title. I'm guessing MCU's Spider-Man 3 will launch in July of 2021.

Spider-Man: Far From Home seems like it will break the record for the highest grossing Sony title of all time, passing Skyfall's $1.106 billion gross. The only remaining question I have is if Far From Home can catch Captain Marvel to become the second highest grossing Marvel film of the year. It's up in the air right now. I mean, Captain Marvel finished with a $1.128 billion gross. If it catches Skyfall, I'd certainly say that Far From Home has a good shot at being the biggest solo superhero film of the year. That'd be two-for-two for Sony with their partnership with Marvel. (They had the biggest gross of any comic book movie in 2017 with Spider-Man: Homecoming after all.)
    I don't think it will catch Captain Marvel at this point. A billion is a certainty at this point but its starting to lag compared to Captain Marvel at the same point of release. CM had made 331 milion domestically after its 20th day of release while Spiderman is now at 319 million. Spidey though is doing slightly better internationally than Captain Marvel did though so it could make up the difference there.

Big difference long run I think is that CM got a huge Endgame boost near the end of its run whereas Spidey won't get any such boost.

Ultimate Member

Far from home is practically guaranteed to hit a billion now.

All in all, Sony has the MCU to thank entirely for this because Sony had pretty much run the entire franchise into the ground. As good and as successful as the Raimi movies were, they never crossed the billion dollar mark (and the less said about the total disaster that was the Amazing Spider-man series the better).

I'm very curious as to where the Sony/Marvel arrangement goes to next. The current Spider-man movies are funded and distributed by Sony but all the creative decisions are Marvel. Obviously, the arrangement can't last forever, what will Sony do with Spider-man next?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Far from home is practically guaranteed to hit a billion now.

All in all, Sony has the MCU to thank entirely for this because Sony had pretty much run the entire franchise into the ground. As good and as successful as the Raimi movies were, they never crossed the billion dollar mark (and the less said about the total disaster that was the Amazing Spider-man series the better).

I'm very curious as to where the Sony/Marvel arrangement goes to next. The current Spider-man movies are funded and distributed by Sony but all the creative decisions are Marvel. Obviously, the arrangement can't last forever, what will Sony do with Spider-man next?
    You are somewhat misrepresenting the arrangement by suggesting it had been ‘run into the ground’ or that ‘all the creative decisions are Marvel’ because neither of those are really true. Sony were considering an arrangement like this even before ASM and their own expectations were not met. The ASM movies were not a flop, they just didn’t fully justify the marketing budget and effort. Marvel are the main creatives on this project but you can bet everything is done with cooperation and mutual agreement, because this is a valuable project for both sides. Portraying things in a cynical light only perpetuates fan paranoia over an otherwise long running and healthy relationship between two media giants.

Especially interesting will be what happens to Amy Pascal after SM3 is finished. It feels like she will be kept around until that project is over to keep the current arrangements smooth and functional. It seems unlikely she will stay in post afterwards. I am not sure if the arrangement can survive a new person in her position unless Sony tempt a Marvel producer into the role.

Whatever happens there will be pressure from Disney to maintain the exclusive rights to market Spider-Man, and Sony will not voluntarily give up the movie rights to the most valuable superhero brand internationally. The current arrangement just makes sense to everyone, especially fans, even if they think otherwise.