Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It will!

31 60.78%
  • Ehhh...I don't think so

20 39.22%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    He's Marvel's franchise character yet adjusted for inflation (so you have actual ticket sales) Homecoming only came in 13th out of 21 Marvel movies. To me that is disappointing results for the flagship character and lies firmly on franchise fatigue. Even without adjusting for inflation it only finished 4th of the 6 Spidey movies to date. Adjusting for inflation it really falls back of the far superior first three movies, even Spidey 3 which doesn't deserve the hate it gets - while flawed due to too many storylines going on meaning all were underdeveloped there were still some solid aspects to it.
    TAS movies though I didnt hate them really hurt the brand. Spiderman as far as profit it still the most popular superhero period. He sells merchandise like no other Superhero but hes not the flagship of the MCU. You can twist it anyway you want Homecoming was a sucess with critics and fans. Far from home did great overseas and is looking at 120m+ Opening domestic. If this movie has a serious drop from the previous movie then I'll take your claim serious.

Also I hate the Inflation debate. So many thing have changed with our culture. When you do it with movies the older you go the more factors that are at play the comparison is just dumb.. Regardless Homecoming made just short of 900m on a 175m budget. If 880m is what Fatigue looks like then I dont see Fatigue ever being a real issue for these movies. But after Spiderman 3 and TAS franchise Homecoming was the good Will Spiderman needed.

I'm expecting it to do slightly less than Homecoming. Spider-Man 3 continues its sad, dance-inhibited reign!
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-02-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

This is a pretty shitty summer as far as movies go. I even created a thread for it.

However, this month is a bit tough because the Lion King opens up in 2 1/2 weeks, so it will be a case of one Disney movie killing another rather than the usual Disney killing the competition.

If there were no Lion King, I would think that Far From Home could hit the $1 billion mark, but with the Lion King going after much the same audience, I just don't think Spider-Man can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    This is a pretty shitty summer as far as movies go. I even created a thread for it.

However, this month is a bit tough because the Lion King opens up in 2 1/2 weeks, so it will be a case of one Disney movie killing another rather than the usual Disney killing the competition.

If there were no Lion King, I would think that Far From Home could hit the $1 billion mark, but with the Lion King going after much the same audience, I just don't think Spider-Man can make it.
    Its weird with Lion King. Personally I am super psyched about it, but most people I talk to are pretty meh. Haven't actually met anyone else who is excited about it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

People were pretty meh or even outright hostile to Aladdin too and it has made almost 900 million world wide so far. Never count out Disney.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    People were pretty meh or even outright hostile to Aladdin too and it has made almost 900 million world wide so far. Never count out Disney.
    That just shows how people on the internet think differently from the causal movie goer.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    That just shows how people on the internet think differently from the causal movie goer.
    Quoted for the simple truth.

I normally use "the wife test" to sometimes gauge movie interest

Generally, my wife isn't clued into geek culture at all so shes kind of my window into the real world.

She was super excited for Alaadin and wasnt even aware of any controversy. I'm sure that's just how the general audience felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its weird with Lion King. Personally I am super psyched about it, but most people I talk to are pretty meh. Haven't actually met anyone else who is excited about it.
    I have the opposite reaction from people around me. Everyone seems to be psyched for the movie. That Duet with Beyonce and Donald Glover singing Can you feel the love tonight came out and I had like 20 different people send me links and text me about that TV spot

BANNED

Spidey is going to prove again that people will show up when they want to. 39M in one night blows MIB 3 and Phoenix out of the water.

And, I'll point out, was a movie Marvel had to wait to market heavily until after Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Spidey is going to prove again that people will show up when they want to. 39M in one night blows MIB 3 and Phoenix out of the water.

And, I'll point out, was a movie Marvel had to wait to market heavily until after Endgame.
    It’s looking towards a 6-day debut of $153,000,000 if it plays exactly like a less well-received flick in The Amazing Spider-Man. My guess is though that debut will climb to above $160 million with the actual weekend bump, starting on Friday and concluding on Sunday. After all, it beat the grosses of that film, in spite of being on days that are still work days (TASM launches on July 3rd, still a Tuesday, for a pretty long extended weekend period vs. this movie which opened up on a work day and will be followed up by a work day and then a holiday).

It is over performing in China and already exceeded its predecessor’s lifetime gross there. It’ll likely end up with a full $100+ million more in that territory than elsewhere. We saw similar overperformances in Japan and Hong Kong, where it also launched last weekend.

Unless the rest of the world completely takes a pass on this movie, we should probably expect for this film to collect upwards of $950 million. That’s really not far from a billion, which is where I’d expect it to cross.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted for the simple truth.

I normally use "the wife test" to sometimes gauge movie interest

Generally, my wife isn't clued into geek culture at all so shes kind of my window into the real world.

She was super excited for Alaadin and wasnt even aware of any controversy. I'm sure that's just how the general audience felt.

Well, what's your wife saying about Lion King? Also, is she interested in Far From Home at all?

Lion King is the movie that can potentially take the wind out of Spider-Man's sails and stop it from crossing $1 billion.

Ultimate Member

Well, what's your wife saying about Lion King? Also, is she interested in Far From Home at all?

Lion King is the movie that can potentially take the wind out of Spider-Man's sails and stop it from crossing $1 billion.
    Shes super excited for Lion King. Kind of like warn on Spider-man.

What's keeping up her interest in Spider-man is the Endgame stuff and the connection to Iron man.

If it can hit the $500 million plus mark by the end of this weekend, it’s pretty much guaranteed. China will largely be finished by the end of the following week, with two weekends done (The Lion King launches there on July 12th) it will be making very little. Spider-Man: Far From Home has a benefit no other Spider-Man film opening in the same period has had: no blockbuster on its second weekend. In 2012, it lost the family audience immediately with Ice Age. For Spider-Man: Homecoming, it ran up against War for the Planet of the Apes, which took the action dollars that weekend. This one has Stuber. That’s it. It should be largely set to have made well over $200 million by the start of its second weekend domestically. It’ll probably finish its second weekend well north of $250 million, where it can likely leg out to match or beat Spider-Man: Homecoming’s domestic finish (which hit $334 million). With north of $500 million with just two markets, I’d say it is probably a bad idea to bet against it.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.