Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

So... The Flash could turn himself into a kind of rocket? Well, he's basically disintegrating himself when he does that, so I guess that it isn't a surprise that he did it rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallman View Post
    So...Well, he's basically disintegrating himself when he does that,...
    How so?

Last edited by Güicho; 07-17-2019 at 06:14 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    How so?

Ejecting thousands of atoms per second must come from somewhere.

Can pretty much run on *photons - light waves/particles, and release atoms (particles/waves) in specific directions to re-direct himself.

*What are photons you ask? Flash Fact - https://i.imgur.com/v0xCMie.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Ejecting thousands of atoms per second must come from somewhere.
    He can redirect photons.
    Besides generating them (yes he generates energy) and though light has no mas it does have energy, and that energy can give you momentum, they can push him in a different direction by redirecting them (see solar sails), and accelerate him in that direction.
    Further other scans I linked to show him literally running on photons, he can "step" in another direction.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-17-2019 at 06:37 PM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I can't see the scans, but I'm guessing from the conversation that the Flash is ejecting a few thousand atoms every second or something (somehow, I'm not going to ask, SPEED FORCE!!!) to move?

A few thousand atoms is nothing. A few hundred thousand atoms is nothing. A few million atoms is nothing.

If you're talking about carbon atoms, it takes 6.022 x 10^23 atoms to make all of ~12 grams. That's 0.02 pounds for those who aren't familiar. At a rate of 6 000 atoms per second (let's say), Flash would have 1 x 10^20 seconds before he lost a whopping 12 grams of his mass.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I can't see the scans, but I'm guessing from the conversation that the Flash is ejecting a few thousand atoms every second or something (somehow, I'm not going to ask, SPEED FORCE!!!) to move?

A few thousand atoms is nothing. A few hundred thousand atoms is nothing. A few million atoms is nothing.

If you're talking about carbon atoms, it takes 6.022 x 10^23 atoms to make all of ~12 grams. That's 0.02 pounds for those who aren't familiar. At a rate of 6 000 atoms per second (let's say), Flash would have 1 x 10^20 seconds before he lost a whopping 12 grams of his mass.
    I love you.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I love you.
    ...I don't love Arby's.

Just sayin'. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectacular Member

Enh. Barry mentioned that he couldn't keep that trick up for long because it was weakening him in the last set of scans. Either he's ejecting very important atoms, or that's an exhausting trick even by his standards.

Thank you for throwing Avogadro’s Number about, Sharp.

Actually, I can totally see The Mole as a Flash Rogue.

I can't see the scans, but I'm guessing from the conversation that the Flash is ejecting a few thousand atoms every second or something (somehow,...
    Scans I posted describe him being able to "release atoms" which we are told he does by vibrating.

First example I posted:
    "To be able to guide myself ...I can do that by setting up a vibration in the proper parts of my body, that will release atoms and give me enough "jet-propulsion" to keep me on course...!"
    "Editor's note: Part of Flash's amazing super-speed ability is his control of the very atoms of his body by ultra-swift vibration!"

Second example I posted:
    "By maintaining ultra-swift internal vibrations, I can eject thousands of atoms per second--- Giving me enough jet-propelled thrust to keep accelerating my speed!"

The assumption is he he generating energy. (as we know he does) through vibration.

That this equates with him "disintegrating himself" is all Falman's assumption though
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallman View Post
    Well, he's basically disintegrating himself when he does that,
    Nowhere does it say that. and it shouldn't be complicated.

And I love how everyone just ignores the part where he literally runs on photons.
    Talk about selective reading.

Can pretty much run on *photons - light waves/particles, and release atoms (particles/waves) in specific directions to re-direct himself.

*What are photons you ask? Flash Fact - https://i.imgur.com/v0xCMie.jpg

*and yes. cue obvious jokes about feeling weaker after vibrating parts of your body and ejecting atoms. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-16-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Spectacular Member

I... What? He's making bits of himself fly off with enough force to provide propulsion. He's literally vibrating himself to pieces, albeit in a controlled fashion. Does exploding himself sound better?

Really, what term would you use for something like that?

Scans I posted describe him being able to "release atoms" which we are told he does by vibrating.

First example I posted:
    "To be able to guide myself ...I can do that by setting up a vibration in the proper parts of my body, that will release atoms and give me enough "jet-propulsion" to keep me on course...!"
    "Editor's note: Part of Flash's amazing super-speed ability is his control of the very atoms of his body by ultra-swift vibration!"

Second example I posted:
    "By maintaining ultra-swift internal vibrations, I can eject thousands of atoms per second--- Giving me enough jet-propelled thrust to keep accelerating my speed!"

The assumption is he he generating energy. (as we know he does) through vibration.
    It's actually just fine for propulsion. If he's ejecting thousands of atoms that are flying a gazillion times more fast than he is, he can certainly keep accelerating. They'd need to be going REALLY fast, though, if it's 'just' thousands of atoms. Still, it's an interesting explanation for how he generates energy by vibrating.

As mentioned, he would be able to continue to do this for a LOOOONG time before it became any kind of serious problem in terms of him actually killing himself. Though I suppose he could give himself cancer if it changes one of his cells' DNA. But now we're getting into really, overly complicated territory - he should have enough 'material' in the layers of dead skin we all carry to manage this for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Thank you for throwing Avogadro’s Number about, Sharp.

Actually, I can totally see The Mole as a Flash Rogue.
    Every chance I get. And I like the idea of 'The Mole', though the confusion would be frustrating.

[Flash] Wha...I was expecting someone with a star on their nose who dug tunnels really quickly or something.

[The Mole] Crack open a textbook, you...you...you know what? Forget this. I give up.
    Why are we here?

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Maybe they meant Flash-equivalent seconds or something. Losing 6 000 atoms per attosecond, for example, would mean it'd only take a 100 seconds or so to lose the 12 grams. Keeping that up wouldn't be healthy by any means (at least, I don't think losing 10 kg / 23 lbs a day is healthy).
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Maybe they meant Flash-equivalent seconds or something. Losing 6 000 atoms per attosecond, for example, would mean it'd only take a 100 seconds or so to lose the 12 grams. Keeping that up wouldn't be healthy by any means (at least, I don't think losing 10 kg / 23 lbs a day is healthy).
    If that's the case, of course not.

But PIS off, he doesn't need that amount of time to do anything. He's not going to need 100 full, 'normal' time seconds in this no gravity situation unless he has decided he wants to run across the galaxy or somesuch. The entire point is that whatever he needs this for, he has the time.
    Why are we here?

Thanks to the power of Speed Force, Barry Allen has run on clouds. I'm pretty sure he could "Deus ex Speed Force" his way to Pluto by running on cosmic dust or something.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis