Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Flash moving without gravity?

Scenario: the Flash must race to save his non-powered friends before they are killed in the next 5 minutes.

Two things though:

1) they are on Pluto while the Flash is on Earth, and

2) he has no access to teleporters, FTL spaceships, or any sort of sci-fi road/tunnels that provide a road for him to run on

So, are his friends doomed?

Or can he run so fast he can defy gravity long enough and fast enough to get there?

A. Jay Garrick
    B. Barry Allen
    C. Wally West
    D. Bart Allen

Can any or all of them overcome their lack of flight here without PIS?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I mean, saying no PIS kind of misses the point here.

Could we wrote a convincing way for this to happen in a story? Sure. It's a scenario.

Sorry, should have been clearer:

Does the Flash (Jay/Barry/Wally/Bart) have any feats for defying gravity on his own? Does he always need a road to run on? Can he simulate flying thru space?

Or is moving off-planet something he point-blank has never done on his own without external help?

*mumble mumble speedforce mumble*

I thought he did have that race against a alien speedster through space or something?

Yeah the Speed Force means Flash moves, no matter the situation as said Force is a part of DC physics. It is providing his stop and go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    I thought he did have that race against a alien speedster through space or something?
    ?

How it worked The PIS: or Plot Ingenious Scenario if you prefer...

Last edited by Güicho; 05-13-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Spectacular Member

So, even in the Silver Age he still needed something to run on. The Speed Force provides arbitrarily large amounts of kinetic energy, but that just means the Flash will be the fastest ballistic missile in space.

That said, if he actually works out the targeting ahead of time, I can completely buy a Flash reaching other planets by running off a ramp at super speed. Okay, he's probably going to push a space capsule then climb in it, but you get the idea.

Wally West made his costume out of Speed Force, could he create just enough matter off his feet to step on and push off of?

I recall one instance of Wally running in space...but such is not the norm. While his speed does allow him to defy gravity it doesn't allow him to run freely through space.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

What if the flash had wings grafted onto him?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

He might be able to cheat by hopping into the speed force and hopping out around Pluto.

Spectacular Member

Wings don't do much in a vacuum.

A Flash that can do speed boosting could probably boost a rocket, though. Equal and opposite reactions mean that higher exhaust velocity should result in the rocket also having a higher velocity, right?

Technically, assuming that he's in a space suit, I think that the Flash could get a lot of acceleration just by throwing rocks while he's in space, but he could quickly run out of rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallman View Post
    Wings don't do much in a vacuum.

A Flash that can do speed boosting could probably boost a rocket, though. Equal and opposite reactions mean that higher exhaust velocity should result in the rocket also having a higher velocity, right?

Technically, assuming that he's in a space suit, I think that the Flash could get a lot of acceleration just by throwing rocks while he's in space, but he could quickly run out of rocks.
    Could he direct any velocity he stole from nearby space-debris or larger bits like Comets? By that I mean use it to adjust his course.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post

Yeah the Speed Force means Flash moves, no matter the situation as said Force is a part of DC physics. It is providing his stop and go.
    As to the first paragraph...I think that was Wallys race against Krakkl then the cosmic gamblers in The Human Race. That was on a race track twisting in and out of space time.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Could he direct any velocity he stole from nearby space-debris or larger bits like Comets? By that I mean use it to adjust his course.
    Not sure what you're asking. Speed steals and boosts generally make things slower or faster but don't generally change existing vectors, beyond putting them to zero acceleration. The direction, vector, whatever of the speed stolen doesn't seem to matter, or be preserved. This gets weird with regards to space, but the impression I get is that it still can't change the current vector.

Putting it another way, I'm pretty sure that if the Flash tried to speed boost a rock that's just sitting on the ground, it would just heat up and explode. Which, would be useful in space travel, but also just a rocket.