Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

What I CAN appreciate is just how good Clay Mann draws Harley and Batgirl.

Spectacular Member

I actually loved the running gag with the Robins, each one comparing themselves to the others and wondering where they stand and then Damian's like "Yeah, I'm good... why, what did they say?" as if he knows he's "perfect", that's so Damian, and then they cap it off with Spoiler asking if they mentioned her, "I'm always forgotten". I'm a sucker for meta humor.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    I actually loved the running gag with the Robins, each one comparing themselves to the others and wondering where they stand and then Damian's like "Yeah, I'm good... why, what did they say?" as if he knows he's "perfect", that's so Damian, and then they cap it off with Spoiler asking if they mentioned her, "I'm always forgotten". I'm a sucker for meta humor.
    The funniest part was that Dick, Jason, and Tim each almost used the exact words as the other two, with only the slightest variations.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I will post my opinion (because I don't like the hate treatment a story can get), but if my commentary is off the rules of this thread please let me know to edit it and maybe ask a mod to erase it.

HiC is certainly the first time I can say a work by Tom King has truly dissapointed me, but I don't think it's a story not worth publishing, on the contrary.

It deals with some heavy topics and I love the concept it brought. A place to help broken heroes and how, just in the same level people in-universe realized, these heroes don't come out unscratched from their day to day life fighting crime. The device of interviews with the 9 panel grid was pretty cool, especially with some characters. The moment Batgirl steps up and shows her scars done by Joker in The Killing Joke was very powerful and a perfect example on when to let pictures tell the story instead of words.

The Booster Gold & Blue Beetle dynamic was amazing and I'm all in for it if King ever wants to write both of them again. Wally West seriously dealing with the lost of his family was something I really liked and that made sense. After losing your children and being the only one that remembers them is something you don't overcome in one day. It's much more plausible than simply having Wally back in his regular life as a hero as if nothing happened.

I think the big problem was the mystery itself and Wally's plan. It was too contrived and unbelievable and I don't think played to King' strengths. Maybe a more minimalist approach was in order. Wally hiding his murder and exposing Sanctuary wasn't really justified. I know that King was told to use Wally as the murderer, but I think if he would have give in a little and not make Wally go so far AFTER the murder, it could have worked out a lot better. I don't even know if the Speed Force can explode like that or if it was pulled out just for this story. King mentioned in a recent interview that he knows Wally's fans are angry, but that now Wally is in the spotlight after years of not being part of the DCU. I agree, but I don't think it's not a spotlight to be proud of. A middle point should have been found between making Wally the murderer and keep him as a full on hero. Maybe had him go to amazing lenghts to avoid accidentally murdering all those heroes only to stop himself from doing the same thing Barry did in Flashpoint and take everything that had to do with the cover up plot out of the story

What I enjoyed the most from HiC were the secondary characters, their interactions with each other, more than the mystery and its solution and the big names from DC (The Trinity). Maybe someday I will re read the whole arc. I don't know if my perception of the story will change to the better or worse, but this is my opinion as it's right now, after reading the last issue. Art was cool the whole event
    Last edited by Chubistian; 05-29-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    ...King mentioned in a recent interview that he knows Wally's fans are angry, but that now Wally is in the spotlight after years of not being part of the DCU...
    Reminds me of Didio's tease about Ted Kord being an important hero in the DC Universe 'next year' (referring to the year of Countdown to Infinite Crisis).
    And, yeah, Ted was important. Or rather, his death was.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I liked the testimonials and wished that was the book we got instead of HiC.

The art is great and there some funny/touching moments just too far and between.

Spectacular Member

I don't even know if the Speed Force can explode like that or if it was pulled out just for this story.
    It's DOESN'T, that is something he pulled out of his fat ass since if it did exist prior to this shit pile you would have to think about how Don, Dawn, Bart, Jenni, Irey, and Jai (characters who were born with Speed Force powers) didn't blow things up when they were two years old didn't get candy when they wanted, or really ever when they were too young to "keep control" same can be said when characters first get their powers and still don't blow things up. Also, you have to think about why NONE of the evil speedsters ever intentionally blew things up. Face it once you actually think about this garbage you realize that King is full of shit.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    A story that is supposed to be people dealing with mental health being used for meta-humor is exactly why I hate that. They have one panel to showcase something and they decided to do a joke.

Compare with the other heroes

Compare with Batman! Batman has 9 panels to express his feelings about his suffering losing his kids!

So what did they give the kids who died and come back? Who lost their past lives and have to deal with that? Who also lost their parents have to deal with that?

A joke.

It's insulting.

Of course Batman get to have his story taken seriously, but when it comes to Robin, it's a joke!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    But, if had left and NEVER come back, you would not have witnessed Hal and the Green Lantern Corps' glorious resurrection a decade later.

So my modus operandi is: if there's nothing I like this month, there's always next month. It's astonishing how abruptly and unexpectedly things can turn around in comics, for better or worse.

Definitely, I'm not saying swear off DC comics completely. Just stop reading comics that you aren't enjoying because you want to find out what happens next to a character who is currently getting screwed over. For my case, I spend an inordinate amount of time and money buying, reading, and then complaining about GL comics post-Emerald Twilight in the vain hope that they would somehow fix the mess they'd made. What I should have done was simply dropped GL and moved on to something I enjoyed more like Starman, which was being published by DC at the same time, along with Hellboy, which was just starting up over at Dark Horse.

Comics characters aren't sports teams that you are required to follow, even when they suck because of $#!**y management.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    For my case, I spend an inordinate amount of time and money buying, reading, and then complaining about GL comics post-Emerald Twilight in the vain hope that they would somehow fix the mess they'd made.
    Eventually, they did. It took a good long while, but they finally did.

Comics characters aren't sports teams that you are required to follow, even when they suck because of $#!**y management.
    Tell me about it: I'm an LA Lakers fan and not much has gone right since 2010.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I will post my opinion (because I don't like the hate treatment a story can get), but if my commentary is off the rules of this thread please let me know to edit it and maybe ask a mod to erase it.
    Your post is completely appropriate for this thread. It's for people who were enjoying Heroes in Crisis, despite having problems with it. Your post certainly qualifies. Now that the story is complete, if it isn't satisfying, being disappointed is a reasonable reaction. We're just trying to avoid having this thread be yet another hate-filled one, because there's already plenty of those.

i haven't got a damn clue about what just happened at the end. Not a one!

I think King should consider fleshing out his original proposal into a short story (minus the changes forced on him by Didio to turn it into an 'event') and posting it online so people can see what his actual intention was.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think King should consider fleshing out his original proposal into a short story (minus the changes forced on him by Didio to turn it into an 'event') and posting it online so people can see what his actual intention was.
    Unless he wants to burn his career writing corporate comics to the ground, that probably wouldn't be a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Unless he wants to burn his career writing corporate comics to the ground, that probably wouldn't be a good idea
    Maybe when he moves to Image like everyone else normally do, he could redo it with original characters.
    'Heroes in Crisis done right'...