Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default 90s Thor (up until Onslaught)

what did everyone think of it?

There were no Thor comics between DeFalco/Frenz and Avengers Disassembled.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

The Mighty Thor by Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz (1987 – 1993).Thor by Marz, Thomas, Ellis, & Messner-Loebs (1993 – 1996)

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    The Mighty Thor by Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz (1987 – 1993).Thor by Marz, Thomas, Ellis, & Messner-Loebs (1993 – 1996)
    Hush now, speak not of this.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    There were no Thor comics between DeFalco/Frenz and Avengers Disassembled.
    Do people not like Warren Ellis's run on the character? I've heard more negative things about Jurgens, but I've seen World Engine in best stories list before. I mean, I didn't love Mike Deodato's art, but the writing was fine.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Hush now, speak not of this.
    No idea what he is talking about. He must be delusional. Speaking in tongues perhaps?
    Thomas? Hmmm. I would remember a good writer like that working on Thor, but no I am coming up blank. Perhaps it is time to revisit that hypnotherapist, I don't feel too good and I keep seeing a flashback of an eyeball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Do people not like Warren Ellis's run on the character? I've heard more negative things about Jurgens, but I've seen World Engine in best stories list before. I mean, I didn't love Mike Deodato's art, but the writing was fine.
    I don't think Warren Ellis ever did a Thor run, but if he did, it certainly wouldn't be about a sudden relationship and a standard Ellis OC, revolving around a forgettable concept and a whatever villain, all portrayed in a rather fugly looking way. Such a thing is but a figment of my imagination, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I have mixed feelings on that to be honest. For starters Ellis is an excellent writer. FreakAngels is great. On Thor he went for an odd angle. All that equating different visions of Thor and the weird machine Ragnarök idea, pretty much writing a writer stand-in / Constantine style figure, all very odd and all very 90s in a bad way.

I actually quite liked the full on 90s Deodato look though. His trippy Odin, his muscle bound Beta-Ray, his almost dominatrix Enchantress. All of those things I feel quite nostalgic about.

But then just after that we had... no I am feeling queasy again, why is there off-key Wagner playing in the distance?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-13-2019 at 04:05 AM.

It's a good thing that Ellis later went on to write X-force because that makes his Thor run not the worst marvel run he's written where the main character was given a horrible redesign and much of their actual personality, powers, and history was ignored so he could write a lot about a bitter, jaded, unshaven British man in a trenchcoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It's a good thing that Ellis later went on to write X-force because that makes his Thor run not the worst marvel run he's written where the main character was given a horrible redesign and much of their actual personality, powers, and history was ignored so he could write a lot about a bitter, jaded, unshaven British man in a trenchcoat.
    There is definitely a pattern there. He also did a Hellblazer run in the closing months of the 90s but I didn't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    There is definitely a pattern there. He also did a Hellblazer run in the closing months of the 90s but I didn't read it.
    Yeah, Ellis loves his "jaded bitter British guy in a trench coat" characters. He added one to the team when he did Exaclibur and Doom 2099 as well.

I don't think Warren Ellis ever did a Thor run, but if he did, it certainly wouldn't be about a sudden relationship and a standard Ellis OC, revolving around a forgettable concept and a whatever villain, all portrayed in a rather fugly looking way. Such a thing is but a figment of my imagination, surely.
    I mean, aside from the fugly looking, this sounds exactly like Aaron's Thor run.
    #EmmaWasRight

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I don't care what anyone says the Jurgens run to me is in the top 5 all time runs in my eyes. It was epic and everything from 'The Death of Odin" until the end of the Lord of Earth storyline was gold.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I mean, aside from the fugly looking, this sounds exactly like Aaron's Thor run.
    Except that it lasted six months, not six years.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I don't care what anyone says the Jurgens run to me is in the top 5 all time runs in my eyes. It was epic and everything from 'The Death of Odin" until the end of the Lord of Earth storyline was gold.
    To the utmost, I agree. The artwork was great as well.