Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    87

    Default 90s Thor (up until Onslaught)

    what did everyone think of it?

  2. #2
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5,286

    Default

    There were no Thor comics between DeFalco/Frenz and Avengers Disassembled.
    heroine addict we love you come back

  3. #3
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    87

    Default

    The Mighty Thor by Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz (1987 – 1993).Thor by Marz, Thomas, Ellis, & Messner-Loebs (1993 – 1996)

  4. #4
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    The Mighty Thor by Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz (1987 – 1993).Thor by Marz, Thomas, Ellis, & Messner-Loebs (1993 – 1996)
    Hush now, speak not of this.
    heroine addict we love you come back

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    There were no Thor comics between DeFalco/Frenz and Avengers Disassembled.
    Do people not like Warren Ellis's run on the character? I've heard more negative things about Jurgens, but I've seen World Engine in best stories list before. I mean, I didn't love Mike Deodato's art, but the writing was fine.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hush now, speak not of this.
    No idea what he is talking about. He must be delusional. Speaking in tongues perhaps?
    Thomas? Hmmm. I would remember a good writer like that working on Thor, but no I am coming up blank. Perhaps it is time to revisit that hypnotherapist, I don't feel too good and I keep seeing a flashback of an eyeball.

  7. #7
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Do people not like Warren Ellis's run on the character? I've heard more negative things about Jurgens, but I've seen World Engine in best stories list before. I mean, I didn't love Mike Deodato's art, but the writing was fine.
    I don't think Warren Ellis ever did a Thor run, but if he did, it certainly wouldn't be about a sudden relationship and a standard Ellis OC, revolving around a forgettable concept and a whatever villain, all portrayed in a rather fugly looking way. Such a thing is but a figment of my imagination, surely.
    heroine addict we love you come back

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Do people not like Warren Ellis's run on the character? I've heard more negative things about Jurgens, but I've seen World Engine in best stories list before. I mean, I didn't love Mike Deodato's art, but the writing was fine.
    I have mixed feelings on that to be honest. For starters Ellis is an excellent writer. FreakAngels is great. On Thor he went for an odd angle. All that equating different visions of Thor and the weird machine Ragnarök idea, pretty much writing a writer stand-in / Constantine style figure, all very odd and all very 90s in a bad way.

    I actually quite liked the full on 90s Deodato look though. His trippy Odin, his muscle bound Beta-Ray, his almost dominatrix Enchantress. All of those things I feel quite nostalgic about.

    But then just after that we had... no I am feeling queasy again, why is there off-key Wagner playing in the distance?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-13-2019 at 04:05 AM.

  9. #9
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,167

    Default

    It's a good thing that Ellis later went on to write X-force because that makes his Thor run not the worst marvel run he's written where the main character was given a horrible redesign and much of their actual personality, powers, and history was ignored so he could write a lot about a bitter, jaded, unshaven British man in a trenchcoat.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It's a good thing that Ellis later went on to write X-force because that makes his Thor run not the worst marvel run he's written where the main character was given a horrible redesign and much of their actual personality, powers, and history was ignored so he could write a lot about a bitter, jaded, unshaven British man in a trenchcoat.
    There is definitely a pattern there. He also did a Hellblazer run in the closing months of the 90s but I didn't read it.

  11. #11
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    There is definitely a pattern there. He also did a Hellblazer run in the closing months of the 90s but I didn't read it.
    Yeah, Ellis loves his "jaded bitter British guy in a trench coat" characters. He added one to the team when he did Exaclibur and Doom 2099 as well.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member NexusTenebrare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I don't think Warren Ellis ever did a Thor run, but if he did, it certainly wouldn't be about a sudden relationship and a standard Ellis OC, revolving around a forgettable concept and a whatever villain, all portrayed in a rather fugly looking way. Such a thing is but a figment of my imagination, surely.
    I mean, aside from the fugly looking, this sounds exactly like Aaron's Thor run.
    #EmmaWasRight

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,589

    Default

    I don't care what anyone says the Jurgens run to me is in the top 5 all time runs in my eyes. It was epic and everything from 'The Death of Odin" until the end of the Lord of Earth storyline was gold.

  14. #14
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    15,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I mean, aside from the fugly looking, this sounds exactly like Aaron's Thor run.
    Except that it lasted six months, not six years.

  15. #15
    Incredible Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I don't care what anyone says the Jurgens run to me is in the top 5 all time runs in my eyes. It was epic and everything from 'The Death of Odin" until the end of the Lord of Earth storyline was gold.
    To the utmost, I agree. The artwork was great as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •