Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    "I never read Generation X, so I missed the boat on that series."

Shocker there. Real shocker. So he actually never read the bridge between her being evil and reforming? Okay. A lot of things make more sense now. Stupid sense. But sense.
    "I didn't read Generation X when it was coming out, so I missed the boat on her in that series". Seems he has read it, just not when being released. Missing the boat meaning he didn't grow to like her until he read Morrison, while many grew to like her during Gen X (myself included).

I can understand someone not reading every single story involving all the characters. It would be hard to do so with Marvel's decades of stories while also doing the job and having a personal life. Even as a Polaris fan, I haven't directly read everything she's been in.

However, an editor/writer does need to read anything that provides important character developments and depictions. Or at minimum, skim them. Not doing so is how you end up with a character making progress, then suddenly reverting back with no explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he said he didn't read it when it was coming out, not that he never read it
    It's hard to tell from the quote. He says he missed the boat on her in Gen X, but in the context of having just said Grant Morrison is who got him to first start liking her. Meaning it's more of a qualifier of why he's not citing Gen X, rather than saying he did or didn't read it later.

There's an element to this wherein JDW is more or less saying he didn't like Emma Frost until a writer came along and wrote her in a way that made him aware of her good and interesting qualities. If not for Morrison, he might not have thought very highly of her today. Something to keep in notes.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Emma would go full villain, Cyclops would fail to do that and get backstabbed by Emma
    That was the natural progression, yes. But Phoenix Five happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Young Avengers was lovely and what was happening in Uncanny was the natural progression of those characters. I don't remember the Monet thing though? Where'd you read that?
    young avengers, journey into mistery were pretty good. At least Kieron pitch was better than the so-so Bedis run
    Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    That was the natural progression, yes. But Phoenix Five happened...
    I think it could still be done

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    One would think that the job of you know, the X-men EDITOR would be to read pretty much every important X-men book ever, if he hasn't read it before. For comparison sake, I remember Morrison mentioned that while he hadn't read X-men books in a while before he took NXM, he basically sat down for a week and read or re-read 20+ years of X-men comics before start writing it. And he was only in charge of one book.
    and Morrison conclusion was that Jean was holding back Cyclops and she needed to die.
    Not a good example
    Last edited by spirit2011; 05-13-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Young Avengers was lovely and what was happening in Uncanny was the natural progression of those characters. I don't remember the Monet thing though? Where'd you read that?
    This was from twitter a few years back. Really the only reason I keep up with twitter to get extra info. Sadly, I can't find that post again. A good reason I started saving stuff when I do see it these days. lol

Such as David Yardin's comments that he always drew Monet dark on X-Factor covers because they were making her many shades lighter than what she originally was. And he'd do the same to Sunspot if he was drawing him.
    Yardin.jpg
    I Love this man. lol

Or the thread Tycon started about the X-book & team we never got.
    Mystery X-Book.jpg
    Haven't read it, but already wish we'd gotten this over everything in ResurrXion.

Ok real alk: what does reading the originating run of a character matter when a google search should show them as they are? There has to be a directory on characters!
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Ok real alk: what does reading the originating run of a character matter when a google search should show them as they are? There has to be a directory on characters!
    wiki pages help a lot. But they lack context and even full information.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Yes, they were purely evil while...

Defending themselves from sentinels, Mister Sinister, fucking DRACULA, and helping Tabula Rasa. Totally what the Brotherhood does. Totally.
    There's nothing saying that the Brotherhood can't be altruistic, and like I said, Gillen intended it as a slow descent meant to happen throughout his run... which got poo-poo'd because Bendis came on.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    wiki pages help a lot. But they lack context and even full information.
    Yeah. It's impossible, and even unnecessary, to read every single issue of many characters, but at least the main stories would be a good idea.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yeah. It's impossible, and even unnecessary, to read every single issue of many characters, but at least the main stories would be a good idea.
    Anything that gives fundamental understanding of a character's origins. So we don't have the inconsistent messes we have now.

Some characters change races depending on a creative team's mood.
    Some characters have 2+ different backstories.
    Some characters are masterminds in some stories, then have the brain of an insect in other.
    Some characters are grey anti-heroes in one book, and pure villains in another.
    etc.

Now that internet exists, and many people interact with fans on social media, there's no need to be so ignorant on characters & events.

Is that Marrow I spot next to Emma? When was the last time we saw her?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Is that Marrow I spot next to Emma? When was the last time we saw her?
    It is!

Last time we saw her, she was a part of Magneto's new Brotherhood.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Ugh, Fanto(((

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    The originating run of a character typically establishes the core of their identity. A barebones description may not capture everything needed to properly understand. Unless the character is egregiously bad, understanding that core is essential to writing/editing them well.

Using exclusively later writing runs the risk of writers/editors having a very wrong impression and making it worse. For example, viewing Frank Miller's idea of Superman as the core of him can easily mislead into thinking of Superman as just an unthinking upholder of authority no matter how wrong. It takes understanding Superman's idealistic core to understand how he should be handled.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Sorry I forgot to add more on that.

I meant you should read the originating run for the idea of the character but a google search or even just the cover of their first issue should tell you what skin color they are. It shouldn't be that hard to have consistent coloring.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.