Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Dragons vs the City That Never Sleeps

Daenerys suddenly shows up over New York City (our world) one morning with three dragons. She goes full "King's Landing" and attacks, striving for as much carnage as possible.

Assume neither Daenerys nor the dragons get tired, nor run out of dragonfire. They keep going until they're killed or NYC is entirely smoked.

Can she be stopped?
    How long before she's stopped?
    How is she stopped?
    How much damage does she do before she's stopped?

Fight #1: NYC not allowed outside help.
    Fight #2: NYC can call for outside help.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 05-13-2019 at 05:25 PM.

1: Not sure as I have no idea how tough a GoT dragon is. I am
    Sure the blonde can be shot down by a lucky bullet but still have dragons

2: One quick call and news report, air planes most likely blow them up via Air Force and said weaponry.

What does NYC have as "standard" weapons?

A LOT of people are going to die. She will flatten towers and kill thousands.

Scenario 2, eventually attack helicopters and gunships arrive and rip her to pieces.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    What does NYC have as "standard" weapons?

A LOT of people are going to die. She will flatten towers and kill thousands.

Scenario 2, eventually attack helicopters and gunships arrive and rip her to pieces.
    Every time I go to Oen station, there are at least five cops with sub machine guns there, and done national guard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Every time I go to Oen station, there are at least five cops with sub machine guns there, and done national guard.
    Sub machine guns are pretty useless unless they graze Dany. What does the Guard have? Attack vehicles? Designation?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I happen to know as a matter of absolute fact that Daenerys has been to our world and back already. So we need to figure this one in advance.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 9.22.49 PM.jpg

Sub machine guns are pretty useless unless they graze Dany. What does the Guard have? Attack vehicles? Designation?
    The guard I have seen have small arms on them, rifles. Though being a big city I am sure they have SWAT which has military grade stuff ( to a point anyway.)

Not sure though, currently living in the burbs of the city, not in the said city.

National Guard has access to pretty much everything the regular military does

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    National Guard has access to pretty much everything the regular military does
    Then they blast her out of the sky in the time it takes to gear up and get airborne.

Probably a LOT of people still die but the city is certainly standing.
    - big_adventure

BANNED

How many gun enthusiasts are there in NY? If the answer is "a lot," there's going to be a lot of incoming Raufoss rounds.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post
    How many gun enthusiasts are there in NY? If the answer is "a lot," there's going to be a lot of incoming Raufoss rounds.
    Which will mostly miss and likely add to the carnage when the bullets all come falling out of the sky.

More seriously, SWAT or FBI snipers may be able to end this. Not counting that, National Guard forces will scramble and get something nasty inbound, oh, and Fort Hamilton is IN BROOKLYN. They are sure to have an attack helicopter or some SAMs.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member

New York City is not gun friendly, so local civilian opposition wouldn't be as fierce as if you attacked Dallas. There would many, many semiauto rifles and quite a bit of high power hunting rifles in cities outside of the NYS gun ban paradigm. Can Dany avoid being sniped and the dragon withstand lots of 223 and various power higher power rifle rounds. That is an empirical question.

Next, the NYPD maintains helicopters with Barrett or similar 50 BMG caliber semiauto rifles. If they get into the air, that would give the pair a pause. The armor piercing rounds would probably do significant damage to the dragon.

Then, since 9/11 there is more fighter coverage of the area. Fairly quickly, there would be F-16s or F-15s all over them. That would be it. They couldn't withstand the 20mm cannon rounds or the missiles. The point about land forces with IR seeking MPADs is a good one also.

Similar contents have been seen in the Charles Stross Laundry novels where an Eleven army with dragons has some success till the British Military gets itself together and shoots down the dragons. In the Gate anime, same thing, JASDF takes dragons out as do the land forces.

Thus, Dany makes some trouble and then gets killed.

The gun population of a city is a point I made before for shows like Arrow or the Batman movies where some villain will 'take over' the city with a small gang of ninjas or the like. Might work in a gun unfriendly city like NYC. In a place like Dallas, there are thousands of citizen owned ARs, AKs, hunting rifles, handguns, etc. Loads of veterans and enthusiasts. Your team of ninjas would not make it. Those are the legal guns. Lots of illegal ones out there and those folk probably won't take kindly to a 'Slade' like coup.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Which will mostly miss and likely add to the carnage when the bullets all come falling out of the sky.
    With the sheer volume being fired, it'll likely amount to a AOE strike. Plenty will miss, that's for sure. But not all of them will.

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post
    With the sheer volume being fired, it'll likely amount to a AOE strike. Plenty will miss, that's for sure. But not all of them will.
    Oh, I know.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    New York City is not gun friendly, so local civilian opposition wouldn't be as fierce as if you attacked Dallas. There would many, many semiauto rifles and quite a bit of high power hunting rifles in cities outside of the NYS gun ban paradigm. Can Dany avoid being sniped and the dragon withstand lots of 223 and various power higher power rifle rounds. That is an empirical question.

Next, the NYPD maintains helicopters with Barrett or similar 50 BMG caliber semiauto rifles. If they get into the air, that would give the pair a pause. The armor piercing rounds would probably do significant damage to the dragon.

Then, since 9/11 there is more fighter coverage of the area. Fairly quickly, there would be F-16s or F-15s all over them. That would be it. They couldn't withstand the 20mm cannon rounds or the missiles. The point about land forces with IR seeking MPADs is a good one also.

Similar contents have been seen in the Charles Stross Laundry novels where an Eleven army with dragons has some success till the British Military gets itself together and shoots down the dragons. In the Gate anime, same thing, JASDF takes dragons out as do the land forces.

Thus, Dany makes some trouble and then gets killed.

The gun population of a city is a point I made before for shows like Arrow or the Batman movies where some villain will 'take over' the city with a small gang of ninjas or the like. Might work in a gun unfriendly city like NYC. In a place like Dallas, there are thousands of citizen owned ARs, AKs, hunting rifles, handguns, etc. Loads of veterans and enthusiasts. Your team of ninjas would not make it. Those are the legal guns. Lots of illegal ones out there and those folk probably won't take kindly to a 'Slade' like coup.
    Yeah, I think you are mistaken on the relative absolute numbers of weapons.

Yes, NYC has a MUCH lower percentage of people owning guns than Dallas.

But it has a MUCH larger population, and I'd easily believe that there are more assault rifles and such in NYC than Dallas for that reason.