Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie, advice needed regarding Trade paper backs and story arcs where to start?

Hi there i read the walking dead last year and really enjoyed the story and format i read them in the compendium editions.

I would like to start reading marvel and DC comics, i am aware of the omnibus editions as well as the ultimate graphic novel collection.

My question is :

how do i buy the books, i believe they are called trade paper backs that are as thick as the omnibus editions that contain most if not all of the story?

every time i look, there are so many different options and stories and authors and artists i never know where to start how do i go about finding one particular author and then finding all the trade paper backs to do with his / her stories. All the editions volumes etc

i have tried the marvel website and it seems to be all over the place.

thanks

mathew

=]

Most of the big ones that contain lots and lots of issues are called omnibus right in the name of the book. But most runs do not get the omnibus treatment, usually just particularly well regarded runs get that treatment. For most things, you will likely have to settle for smaller trades that collect between 4 and 7 issues, depending on the length of the story arc they collect, 6 is most common.

As for finding them, I usually just end up going to Amazon (or comixology since I am digital these days) and searching for the book title plus writer. So like Thor Aaron, or X-men Hickman. Even if you don't buy from there, it should let you know what you are looking for. But of course this relies on you knowing who the creators are, so just the title of the book and then looking for the year it was published is your next best bet. Or just ask here if you are after something, or for recommendations. The MU has been running for over 60 years, so yeah it can be a bit daunting, so recommendations of good starter arcs, or just looking for the most recent is usually the easiest. Older arcs may be not to your taste since styles have changed and if you started with Walking Dead you will likely prefer a more modern style, so more recent may be more up your alley, and these days, Marvel usually does new run starting with a new #1 every time there is a major creative team change, which makes it easier to find places to jump on to.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

First of all, what Marvel characters, teams interest you? You might want to zero in on any collected editions of those. I might suggest that you try out Marvel Unlimited, which for a monthly fee will give you access to over 25,000 titles. You can't download them as other smaller publishers do. It costs $9.99 a month and as I recall you can cancel at any time. Comics enter this system when it's been 6 months since they were published. So if you are interested recently launched X-Men by Jonathan Hickman, you can get his 2 mini series House of X and Powers of X.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Most of the big ones that contain lots and lots of issues are called omnibus right in the name of the book. But most runs do not get the omnibus treatment, usually just particularly well regarded runs get that treatment. For most things, you will likely have to settle for smaller trades that collect between 4 and 7 issues, depending on the length of the story arc they collect, 6 is most common.

As for finding them, I usually just end up going to Amazon (or comixology since I am digital these days) and searching for the book title plus writer. So like Thor Aaron, or X-men Hickman. Even if you don't buy from there, it should let you know what you are looking for. But of course this relies on you knowing who the creators are, so just the title of the book and then looking for the year it was published is your next best bet. Or just ask here if you are after something, or for recommendations. The MU has been running for over 60 years, so yeah it can be a bit daunting, so recommendations of good starter arcs, or just looking for the most recent is usually the easiest. Older arcs may be not to your taste since styles have changed and if you started with Walking Dead you will likely prefer a more modern style, so more recent may be more up your alley, and these days, Marvel usually does new run starting with a new #1 every time there is a major creative team change, which makes it easier to find places to jump on to.
    wow thanks for the info so things like the ultimate graphic novel collection are just snippets of certain issues / volumes from a certain author?

i am interested in reading the spider man issues that are collated in the omnibus but the book is so expensive and thick, what you are saying is i could find out who was the writer of those issues collated in the omnibus then do an online search for the individual trade paperbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    First of all, what Marvel characters, teams interest you? You might want to zero in on any collected editions of those. I might suggest that you try out Marvel Unlimited, which for a monthly fee will give you access to over 25,000 titles. You can't download them as other smaller publishers do. It costs $9.99 a month and as I recall you can cancel at any time. Comics enter this system when it's been 6 months since they were published. So if you are interested recently launched X-Men by Jonathan Hickman, you can get his 2 mini series House of X and Powers of X.
    i want to read spider man, x men, Thanos ,iron man

not to keen on digital prefer to read from book in the hand thanks for info though really appreciate it as there is so much to explore lol dont know what to buy / read first =]

Quote Originally Posted by mathew.the.mighty View Post

not to keen on digital prefer to read from book in the hand thanks for info though really appreciate it as there is so much to explore lol dont know what to buy / read first =]
    For Spider-Man, I’d recommend the following, which contains his very earliest stories ever from the late 1960’s, written by Stan Lee...

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Mar...G-DM/JAN201079

For X-Men, I’d recommend the following which starts with the very first appearance of classic characters like Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus, written by Chris Claremont in the mid-70’s...

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Mar...ESIS/JAN171126

For Thanos, I’d start with his first appearances in years, many of Which were written by Jim Starlin in the 1990’s...

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Mar...S-TP/MAR128290

For Iron Man, I’d start with the following which Is arguably the character’s most important storyline ever...

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Mar...-PTG/JAN100640
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Hi there i read the walking dead last year and really enjoyed the story and format i read them in the compendium editions.

I would like to start reading marvel and DC comics, i am aware of the omnibus editions as well as the ultimate graphic novel collection.

My question is :

how do i buy the books, i believe they are called trade paper backs that are as thick as the omnibus editions that contain most if not all of the story?

every time i look, there are so many different options and stories and authors and artists i never know where to start how do i go about finding one particular author and then finding all the trade paper backs to do with his / her stories. All the editions volumes etc

i have tried the marvel website and it seems to be all over the place.

thanks

mathew

=]
    Well well, here I go.

Where to buy book ?

• Your local comics shop
    • Buy digitaly: Amazon or Marvel Unlimited are your friends
    • Order online: Amazon mainly is your friend
    • Buy second-hand: Amazon and Ebay are your friends or your Comics shop

In what format to read your stories ? Well there are multiple formats

• Single issues - 1 issue
    • Trade Paperbacks, aka tpb - 3 to 9 issues
    • Softcover Omnibus - 9+ issues
    • Hard Cover or HC or Library Edition - 6-12 issues
    • Hard Cover Omnibus - 12+ issues

I prefer the softcover edition from marvel.
    They are at a fair price, not like the Hard Covers.
    They aren't heavy and fragile as the big Omnibus.
    Thus simple to carrie and read.

Then What to know before reading ?

Well comics have different eras that are all a bit disconnected:

• Golden age - 30's to mid 50's
    • Silver/Bronze age - mid-50's to mid-80's
    • Modern age - mid 80's to now

Most Marvel series begin in the Silver/Bronze age era.

Depending on each teams and hero, they also have "sub-eras".

To me Marvel has a few distinguishable famillies, even if they a few common adventures:

• Spider-Man / Venom / Spider-Gwen
    • Daredevil / Punisher / Elektra
    • X-Men / Deadpool / Wolverine
    • Fantastic Four / Galactus / Silver Surfer
    • Captain America / Hulk / Thor / Iron Man / The Avengers
    • Moon Knight
    • Ghost Rider

Also to mention, all those heros live on the same univers, but Marvel as some alternative univers:

• Main univers 616
    • Ultimate Univers
    • Max Univers

After that what to read ?

Well it all depends on your tastes.
    But for an easier dive, you should start during the modern age era.

If you want to read the different Marvel series in chronological order - you can check out Marvel's Epic collection:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel...ic_Collections

For a nice start and overview, you can read the mini-series by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, available in tpb or collected edition:

Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale: Yellow, Blue, Gray & White - https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...hite_hardcover

Then I would suggest, you read the major stories from each "famillies".

SPIDER-MAN

The Following can be read on their own each

The Very Best of Spider-Man - Compilation of must read early stories
    1.Amazin Fantasy #15 - first Siper-Man appearance
    2.If this be my destiny... The Final Chapter - Amazing Spider-Man #33
    3.Spider-Man no more - Amazing Spider-Man #50
    4.The Kid Who Collects Spiderman - Amazing Spider-Man #248
    5.Whatever Happened to Crusher Hogan? - Amazing Spider-Man #271
    6.The Sand and the Fury - Amazing Spider-Man #317
    7.Fathers and Sins - Amazing Spider-Man #365
    8.The Osborn Legacy - Spectacular Spider-Man #189

Spider-Man: Wizard Masterpiece Edition - Compilation must read stories
    1.Nothing Stops the Juggernaut - Amazing Spider-Man #229-230
    2.Hyde in Plain Sight (aka Hyde & Seek) - Amazing Spider-Man #231-232
    3.The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man - Amazing Spider-Man #248
    4.Venom Strikes Back - Amazing Spider-Man #315-317
    5.The Death of Jean DeWolff - Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110

Death of the Stacys - Two sad but very good stories
    1.Spider-Man vs. Dr. Octopus/And Death shall come - Amazing Spider-Man #88-92
    2.The Night Gwen Stacy Died - Amazing Spider-Man #121-122

Kraven's Last Hunt (Epic Collection) - Collects Spider-Man/Wolverin, The Wedding and the aclaimed Kraven's Last Hunt

Birth of Venom - The main Venom stories

Brand New Day

The Gauntlet and Grimm Hunt
    Book 1 - Electro & Sandman - The Amazing Spider-Man #612-616, Dark Reign: The List - Amazing Spider-Man + Web of Spider-Man #2 Electro + Sandman origins
    Book 2 - Rhino & Mysterio - The Amazing Spider-Man #617-621 and Web of Spider-Man (vol. 2) #3-4 Rhino and Mysterio origins
    Book 3 - Vulture & Morbius - The Amazing Spider-Man #622-625 + Web of Spider-Man #5-6 origins of Vulture and Morbius
    Book 4 - Juggernaut - The Amazing Spider-Man #626-629 + #229-230 (the original "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut)
    Book 5 - The Lizard - The Amazing Spider-Man #630-633 + Web of Spider-Man #6
    Grim Hunt - The Amazing Spider-Man #634-637 + Web of Spider-Man #7 + Grim Hunt Prologue + Spider-Man Origin Of The Hunter

Big time and Spider Island
    Big Time - Amazing Spider-Man issues #648–651
    Spider Island - Amazing Spider-Man issues #666–673, Venom #6–9

Others
    Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man
    Superior Spider-Man
    Spider-Verse
    Back in Black
    All-New Ultimate Spider-Man: Miles Morales

DAREDEVIL

1. Dardevil by Klause Janson & Frank Miller - 3 tpb or 1 omnibus
    2. Daredevil: The Man Without Fear - 1 tpb or in Frank Miller Companion Omnibus
    3. Daredevil: Born Again - 1 tpb or in Frank Miller Companion Omnibus
    3. Marvel Knights Daredevil by Smith & Quesada: Guardian Devil
    4. Marvel Knights Daredevil by Bendis & Maleev: Underboss

X-MEN

No real reading order

X-Men: Wizard Masterpiece Edition - Compilation of must read early stories
    1. X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga - Uncanny X-Men #135-137
    2. Days Of Future Past - Uncanny X-Men #141-142
    3. The Power of Proteus - Uncanny X-Men #126-128
    4. Demon - Uncanny X-Men #143

X-Men Season 1 - a good origin story

God Loves Man kills - a very nice one-shot

E is for Extinction - from New X-Men by Grant Morrison

Astonishing X-Men by Whedon and Cassady Ultimate Collection - a very nice run

X-Factor By Peter David: The Complete Collection vol. 1-2 - another very nice run

Wolverine and the X-Men by Jason Aaron - 1 omnibus or 8 tpb

Wolverine: Old Man Logan - the book by Mark Millar

others
    House of M
    Messiah Complexe
    Avengers vs. X-Men
    Trial of Jean Grey

FANTASTIC FOUR

Fantastic Four: Behold... Galactus! - Collects the 4 Gallactus sagas

THE AVENGERS

Captain America: Man Out of Time - by Mark Waid
    Civil War - by Mark Millar
    Winter Soldier By Brubaker: The Complete Collection - by Ed Brubaker

Hulk: The End - The End + Future Imperfect #1-2
    Planet Hulk

Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle
    Iron Man: Extremis
    Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin

The Infinity Saga
    1. Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos - aka The Thanos Quest
    2. Infinity Gauntlet
    3. Infinity War
    4. Infinity Crusade

MOON KNIGHT

Moon Knight Epic Collection: Bad Moon Rising - great orgins by Doug Moench
    Moon Knight by Jeff Lemire & Greg Smallwood - Moon Knight (2016) #1-14

HAVE FUN FOR NOW
    Last edited by jb681131; 04-05-2020 at 10:45 PM.

wow thanks for the info so things like the ultimate graphic novel collection are just snippets of certain issues / volumes from a certain author?

i am interested in reading the spider man issues that are collated in the omnibus but the book is so expensive and thick, what you are saying is i could find out who was the writer of those issues collated in the omnibus then do an online search for the individual trade paperbacks?
    I believe the Ultimate Spider-Man omnibuses are the complete run. Usually when a book gets an Omnibus, it does include EVERYTHING by that particular creative team on that book, it is just that most runs never get this treatment. The Ultimate books are a different universe though, just so you know. It likely will not matter to you, but what happens there mostly has no impact on the Spider-Man books being put out out right now. But yes, Ultimate Spider-Man is also available in smaller, and usually cheaper, trades. What you are looking for is Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis. https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00CKDHTEA but it ran for over 10 years, so there are a lot of them

You got recommended some old arcs, (a lot around here are very old school readers) and as I said above I suspect these are likely not up your alley, they will likely come off as cheesy and unnatural to you. (especially silver age, you would likely be cool with bronze age, around the 70s early 80s, though it may be a bit hit or miss, and modern age, mid 80s, onward, would likely be more up your alley, though probably want to skip over the mid 90s for the most part) Yes, they contain stories that are important to the history of the characters, but you can also generally follow along without having read those. You can try them, and you might like them, but just know that if they are not to your tastes, the modern books are a different style.

If you want Thanos there is a recent arc that is currently FREE digitally on Marvel Unlimited or on Comixology if you are cool with digital: https://m.comixology.com/Thanos-Wins...l-comic/664908

Extremis by Warren Ellis is a very good short snapshot of Iron Man, nice and self contained

Spider-Man, in the main universe, I would actually recommend commend the current run by Nick Spencer. If you like that, give his Captain America, Ant-Man and Superior Foes a try.

I suspect you would like Daredevil, and the current run by Chip Zdarsky is also very good, but you could also try the run by Brian Michael Bendis (especially if you like Ultimate Spider-Man) or Frank Miller. Also in that vein, and again if you like the Ultimate Spider-Man run, give Alias/Jessica Jones a try, also by Bendis. But Jessica also had a run recently by Kelly Thompson that is currently being re-released in print (it was a digital first book)

OH, and I think you would probably like Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, pretty sure this one even got an omnibus.

So I would say dip your toes in with a few of the recommendations you've gotten, then from there follow the writers and/or characters that particularly appeal to you to other stories.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-06-2020 at 04:31 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Most of those have had long runs with multiple series, except for Thanos, and his is going to be the opposite, less comics, but spread out over alot of other characters comics.

If you want to do trades, your best bet is to check out Crushing Krisis' site. It is a reading order, but in trade / collection format and it is amazing and thorough.

https://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-...l-comic-books/

Now, where you want to start depends on if you like to read Silver Age or Bronze Age or modern books, or how thorough you want to be. For example, I don't think anyone can really get the X-Men, unless they start with the 70's "reboot," i.e. Giant Size X-Men #1, which is mostly Claremont's and his artists work. Every X-Men writer since then, draws on his work or retells his stories. I mean, Hickman's new run is drawing on events / characters from that Giant Size book.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

thanks for your time mate appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    For Spider-Man, I’d recommend the following, which contains his very earliest stories ever from the late 1960’s, written by Stan Lee...

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Mar...G-DM/JAN201079

For X-Men, I’d recommend the following which starts with the very first appearance of classic characters like Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus, written by Chris Claremont in the mid-70’s...

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Mar...ESIS/JAN171126

For Thanos, I’d start with his first appearances in years, many of Which were written by Jim Starlin in the 1990’s...

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Mar...S-TP/MAR128290

For Iron Man, I’d start with the following which Is arguably the character’s most important storyline ever...

https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Mar...-PTG/JAN100640
    thanks for your time mate appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Well well, here I go.

Where to buy book ?

• Your local comics shop

To me Marvel has a few distinguishable famillies, even if they a few common adventures:

• Moon Knight
    • Ghost Rider

Also to mention, all those heros live on the same univers, but Marvel as some alternative univers:

• Main univers 616
    • Ultimate Univers
    • Max Univers

If you want to read the different Marvel series in chronological order - you can check out Marvel's Epic collection:

For a nice start and overview, you can read the mini-series by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, available in tpb or collected edition:

Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale: Yellow, Blue, Gray & White - https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...hite_hardcover

SPIDER-MAN

Kraven's Last Hunt (Epic Collection) - Collects Spider-Man/Wolverin, The Wedding and the aclaimed Kraven's Last Hunt

Brand New Day

Book 1 - Electro & Sandman - The Amazing Spider-Man #612-616, Dark Reign: The List - Amazing Spider-Man + Web of Spider-Man #2 Electro + Sandman origins
    Book 2 - Rhino & Mysterio - The Amazing Spider-Man #617-621 and Web of Spider-Man (vol. 2) #3-4 Rhino and Mysterio origins
    Book 3 - Vulture & Morbius - The Amazing Spider-Man #622-625 + Web of Spider-Man #5-6 origins of Vulture and Morbius
    Book 4 - Juggernaut - The Amazing Spider-Man #626-629 + #229-230 (the original "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut)
    Grim Hunt - The Amazing Spider-Man #634-637 + Web of Spider-Man #7 + Grim Hunt Prologue + Spider-Man Origin Of The Hunter

Others
    Superior Spider-Man
    Spider-Verse
    Back in Black

DAREDEVIL

X-MEN

No real reading order

X-Factor By Peter David: The Complete Collection vol. 1-2 - another very nice run

others
    House of M
    Messiah Complexe
    Avengers vs. X-Men
    Trial of Jean Grey

FANTASTIC FOUR

THE AVENGERS

Planet Hulk

The Infinity Saga
    2. Infinity Gauntlet
    3. Infinity War
    4. Infinity Crusade

MOON KNIGHT

HAVE FUN FOR NOW
    thanks mate appreciate it

Well well, here I go.

Where to buy book ?

• Your local comics shop

• Moon Knight
    • Ghost Rider

• Main univers 616
    • Ultimate Univers
    • Max Univers

SPIDER-MAN

Brand New Day

Others
    Superior Spider-Man
    Spider-Verse
    Back in Black

DAREDEVIL

X-MEN

No real reading order

others
    House of M
    Messiah Complexe
    Avengers vs. X-Men
    Trial of Jean Grey

FANTASTIC FOUR

THE AVENGERS

Planet Hulk

The Infinity Saga
    2. Infinity Gauntlet
    3. Infinity War
    4. Infinity Crusade

MOON KNIGHT

HAVE FUN FOR NOW
    where do you get the softcover marvel editions i can only find the hardbacks?

where do you get the softcover marvel editions i can only find the hardbacks?
    Well, like I sayd:

Your local Comic book store
    Online: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository / Ebay / Google Shopping

I think The Wizard Masterpieced, some are only in Hard Cover.
    A few of the Omnibus version don't exist in softcover.
    And some are available in softercover only as tpp, not as softcover omnibus.

Well, like I sayd:

Your local Comic book store
    Online: Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Book Depository / Ebay / Google Shopping

I think The Wizard Masterpieced, some are only in Hard Cover.
    A few of the Omnibus version don't exist in softcover.
    And some are available in softercover only as tpp, not as softcover omnibus.
    I see I thought I was missing something thought they done the same omnibus in softcover as hard I have seen the TPP yes thanks again for info I do appreciate it