Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Loki vs Dr Strange

Who’s the better sorcerer in the comics?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

current or classic strange?

Strange has been considerably more impressive in the heights of his career. Even his weaker incarnations are not without potential and threat to Loki. Especially with proper prep and access to his sanctum etc
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Classic Strange, certainly.

Current Strange, still probably a lot better.

At Strange's lowest ebbs, Loki, obviously.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

I recall, many years ago, Strange having a tough time against Loki. I found a thread elsewhere that has a scan of the page where Loki breaks a Strange spell and Strange comments on Loki's power.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...vs-loki-16570/ Look for the scan.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    I recall, many years ago, Strange having a tough time against Loki. I found a thread elsewhere that has a scan of the page where Loki breaks a Strange spell and Strange comments on Loki's power.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...vs-loki-16570/ Look for the scan.
    That scan was from the original Ditko run in Strange Tales, before Strange became the Sorcerer Supreme. Loki is solidly winning, but abruptly flees after mystically detecting that Thor is nearby. Strange eventually surpassed Loki in skill with magic, though I haven't seen them directly clash again. Loki is able to survive being one of Thor's greatest enemies because he is clever, physically durable, and often able to lay hands on powerful magic gear.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    That scan was from the original Ditko run in Strange Tales, before Strange became the Sorcerer Supreme. Loki is solidly winning, but abruptly flees after mystically detecting that Thor is nearby. Strange eventually surpassed Loki in skill with magic, though I haven't seen them directly clash again. Loki is able to survive being one of Thor's greatest enemies because he is clever, physically durable, and often able to lay hands on powerful magic gear.
    Loki is really nasty with prep, as well.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Like Shellhead points out, the 'fights Loki' scene comes waaaay back in the day where Strange was basically the Ancient One's agent/apprentice. Note the lack of the Eye of Agamotto (mystic amulet, instead) and Cloak of Levitation. Strange is one of those characters who explicitly gets more and more powerful, which makes sense as he was still learning at this time. Later on, he reaches a point where the Ancient One says 'okay, you're basically fine to go out there and do your own thing' and gives him the Cloak and Amulet. Even more time passes, and the Ancient One finally becomes one with the Universe. In doing, he passes down the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme to Strange (later on, Strange has to defend this in the Vishanti's trial), and actually bequeaths to Strange what is left of his own mystic power (another powerup). And this is where Strange is pretty much in the heyday of his 'Classic' period, where he's the most strong.

Cripes, one need only look at how Strange treats Mordo when they fight. Back in the first comics, Mordo can be a tough fight for Strange. By the time he has the Cloak and Amulet, when Mordo isn't actually 'extra empowered' by whomever he has sold his soul to this week, Strange basically curbstomps him.

The Strange who fought Loki in that issue is not at all Classic Strange at the height of his power.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I don't know if his feats back this up but given that Loki is hundreds, if not a couple of thousands, of years old wouldn't it stand to reason that Loki would be much more experienced, and hence, have considerable magic power. Loki pals around with Mephisto, who's not a joke to Dr Strange.

While I get what you're saying, and it would stand to reason, the feats really don't back this up. Loki simply doesn't do the kind of stuff that Strange does when Stephen is in his 'Classic' period.

There are possibly reasons. Loki doesn't seem to use the kinds of dimensional entreaties that make up Strange's best stuff (I don't recall him doing so, anyway), maybe due to not really wanting to be beholden to Ikonn or whomever. He also doesn't seem to run around learning new stuff, whereas Stephen is basically ALWAYS studying, always trying to improve himself, etc. In addition, Strange is noted by the Ancient One himself as being the human with the greatest potential for sorcery around; picture one of those prodigies who is playing perfect, highly complicated pieces on the piano at age 6, only make it sorcery. And then make that prodigy so good that a virtually immortal being who has mastered the art says 'no, this guy is The One'. It's a point that Mordo had been trained since a child, had training with the Ancient One, and is one of the more capable (and naturally gifted) mages around; Strange quite rapidly surpasses him, despite starting into magic late in life.

On top of that, Strange spends basically all his life fighting other sorcerers, fighting mystic threats, fighting dimensional incursions, etc. Loki doesn't. Experience can be one heck of a teacher.

Speaking of teachers, Strange has also been taught by two of the best around: the Ancient One and Kaluu.

Note: I'm not saying that Loki sucks, or anything. He's really, really good. I'm just having problems seeing him as operating on the same level as Classic Strange with regards to sorcery. If he has some good feats to show parity, I'd love to see them.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-15-2019 at 07:53 AM.
    Why are we here?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

To take this even a step further: if they were to ever meet when Strange is in his "Classic" days, Loki would likely be written as stronger given the very points written above: he's a god, so he's got OODLES more natural oomph, plus he's been working on this crap for millenia.

Buuuuuuuuut... Here at Rumbles, we go on feats. And Strange's feats DWARF Loki's. Loki isn't bad, and with prep he's succeeded in some CRAZY stuff.

This kind of thing isn't unusual, really: in writing, a Kryptonian generally wastes Flashes or Green Lanterns, but by feats, most Flashes can stomp most Kryptonians, and any named Lantern can with a half-second prep.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

...I don't really want to get into 'Strange with Prep' versus 'Loki with prep', because things just start getting really ugly at that point.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    To take this even a step further: if they were to ever meet when Strange is in his "Classic" days, Loki would likely be written as stronger given the very points written above: he's a god, so he's got OODLES more natural oomph, plus he's been working on this crap for millenia.
    Side note: it might not have gone this way. In his Classic days, Strange was a guy who was actually capable of fighting against Dormammu, in a losing fashion but still making a fight of it, and Dormammu was being written as someone who was capable of throwing down with Odin. Strange was written as being on Thanos' radar, Thanos being a dude who was at that time whupping on Thor. Strange was viewed as a dude who could have ended Civil War (the very first one) solo (and pretty quickly as well). Strange was doing stuff like beating cosmics (the In-Betweener) by pulling out all the stops (by Rumbles Standards, we might view this as SMvsFL, but it's what was being written).

In short, by the height of his 'classic' period, the writers seemed to have the idea that Strange, as the Sorcerer Supreme, was pretty high up there.

I'm unsure that they would have decided that Loki, a Thor villain better known for his manipulative successes over Thor than simply beating him down with magical power, was stronger than Strange.
    Why are we here?

I think the MCU gets the disparity between Loki's and Strange's magical prowess about right with the comics.

Strange opens a portal to swallow Loki. Strange then hosts Thor for a while in his sanctum, teleporting the God of Thunder around with barely a thought and giving him a self-refilling mug of ale while perusing his library. When Strange is done, he opens a portal and let's Loki come slamming into the ground.

"I have been falling...FOR 30 MINUTES!"

BANNED

has silver surfer ever been intimidated by Loki? he pretty much admitted at one point that he is slightly afraid of strange as he was unlike anybody he had ever encountered and considering his travels that's saying something.