Default Dr. Doomsday vs. Classic Strange

A merging of H/P Doomsday (post crisis) and Dr. Doom.

Classic Strange. 616. Arena.

No Time Travel!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

As much as I love me some Von Doom...even with an H/P Doomsday upgrade I'd feel hard pressed to give the nod against classic Strange. @Sharpandpointies can elaborate but hasn't Strange corked black holes and destroyed planets as collateral for some of his battles?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    As much as I love me some Von Doom...even with an H/P Doomsday upgrade I'd feel hard pressed to give the nod against classic Strange. @Sharpandpointies can elaborate but hasn't Strange corked black holes and destroyed planets as collateral for some of his battles?
    Indeed he has. He's still just a nice big fat level above these guys.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Pretty much nailed it. Barring Dr. Doomsday having some kind of weird powers beyond what both characters have shown, and having them at a pretty strong level beyond what both characters have shown...

I don't believe Dr. D. has any speed-blitz capacity, which pretty much screws him over when it comes to 'getting to Strange and at least trying to high-speed batter down his autoshields'. Doom's tech isn't enough to do this. Doom's sorcery isn't enough to do this. And once Strange gets the good stuff going, he's operating at a much higher level than Doomsday or Doom (without prep).

In addition to corking black holes and blowing up planets to provide himself with propulsion in a truly Kent Nelson Dr. Fate moment, Strange messes with time on a planetary level, endures a supernova with the use of the Crimson Bands cast while in astral form (explicitly weaker than his fully-embodied magic), and doesn't fold like a busted flush when facing Dormammu. He duels it out with people like Umar, who think good opening moves in battle are things like 'Use Bolts of Bedevilment -- not full-on incantations, mind, just gang-sign zaps -- to blow up the Ancient One by shooting through the planet'. When Adam Warlock wants to separate Thanos and Drax (who are busy beating each other up), it's Strange he turns to, and Stephen accomplishes this with a couple of gang signs and Bolts of Bedevilment; no, he doesn't actually HURT Thanos, but he still manages to knock both Thanos and Drax on their rears.

Classic Strange, at his peak, seems to operate in a territory above that of Heralds. Sans prep, I'm not liking Dr. Doomsday's odds.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Pretty much nailed it. Barring Dr. Doomsday having some kind of weird powers beyond what both characters have shown, and having them at a pretty strong level beyond what both characters have shown...

I don't believe Dr. D. has any speed-blitz capacity, which pretty much screws him over when it comes to 'getting to Strange and at least trying to high-speed batter down his autoshields'. Doom's tech isn't enough to do this. Doom's sorcery isn't enough to do this. And once Strange gets the good stuff going, he's operating at a much higher level than Doomsday or Doom (without prep).

In addition to corking black holes and blowing up planets to provide himself with propulsion in a truly Kent Nelson Dr. Fate moment, Strange messes with time on a planetary level, endures a supernova with the use of the Crimson Bands cast while in astral form (explicitly weaker than his fully-embodied magic), and doesn't fold like a busted flush when facing Dormammu. He duels it out with people like Umar, who think good opening moves in battle are things like 'Use Bolts of Bedevilment -- not full-on incantations, mind, just gang-sign zaps -- to blow up the Ancient One by shooting through the planet'. When Adam Warlock wants to separate Thanos and Drax (who are busy beating each other up), it's Strange he turns to, and Stephen accomplishes this with a couple of gang signs and Bolts of Bedevilment; no, he doesn't actually HURT Thanos, but he still manages to knock both Thanos and Drax on their rears.

Classic Strange, at his peak, seems to operate in a territory above that of Heralds. Sans prep, I'm not liking Dr. Doomsday's odds.
    Nice.

Gang signs?

"Yo dis for all my homies back in the hood ya'll! Strange ain't about no disrespect!"
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

The only way Classic Strange can be beat is with overwhelming force or super speed, both of which Dr Doomsday lacks.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Nice.

Gang signs?

"Yo dis for all my homies back in the hood ya'll! Strange ain't about no disrespect!"
    Marvel wizards make hand signs for their casts. Some are very gang-signy. Most commonly, they just look like spidey shooting a web.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Nice.

Gang signs?

What big said. ^_^ Although, it would be amusing to see the Strange version you have quoted have a trash-talk fest with The Dorm.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

Blame Steve Ditko for the similarity.

I have always loved the friendship between Peter and Stephen. It's one of the more unlikely ones, given the circles in which they travel (and the fact that Classic Strange never really made any other 'friends' in the superheroing group, despite occasionally bumping into them).
    Why are we here?

BANNED

yeah the doctor is pretty much a solo act apart from his apprentices and Wong so his friendship with Peter is rather unique.