Spectacular Member

Default What are some must-read/recommend stories/comics?

These are my favourite characters and I've been looking for some stories that I can read. If you know of any must read stories regarding these characters please let me know.

Harley Quinn, John Constantine, The Joker, Hawkman, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Red Hood, Arsenal, Darskeid, Mister Miracle, Batwoman, Plastic Man, The Question,Black Lightning, Lobo

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    These are my favourite characters and I've been looking for some stories that I can read. If you know of any must read stories regarding these characters please let me know.

Harley Quinn, John Constantine, The Joker, Hawkman, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Red Hood, Arsenal, Darskeid, Mister Miracle, Batwoman, Plastic Man, The Question,Black Lightning, Lobo
    I think it would help if you shared what stories you've already read on them. It will prevent us from duplicating what you've already read.

Tim Truman’s Hawkworld mini series is a wonderful Hawkman story.

John Constantine first appeared in Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing run, of course. This is currently in comixology sale...so if you read your comics digitally, this is as close as it gets to a “must” purchase if not read already.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I think it would help if you shared what stories you've already read on them. It will prevent us from duplicating what you've already read.
    I haven't actually read anything, just know about them and read about them online rather than actually reading their comics. I've also seen them in movies/shows.

Extraordinary Member

Darkseid - Legion of Super Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga by Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen (1982)

Blue Beetle/Booster Gold/Mr. Miracle - Any and all of Keith Giffen/J.M. DeMatteis' Justice League series (1987 - 1992)

Lobo - L.E.G.I.O.N '89 - '92 by Keith Giffen/Alan Grant/Barry Kitson (issues 1-50)

As you can see, I'm a BIG Keith Giffen fan.

Gail Simone recently finished a six-issue miniseries on Plastic Man. It might be available as a trade by about now, and definitely is available digitally on your favourite provider. It's a self-contained and fun read, though heavily steeped in DC lore.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Harley Quinn
    Batman: Mad Love

John Constantine
    Hellblazer - all tpb in chronological order

The Joker
    Joker by Brian Azzarello

Hawkman / Blue Beatle / Booster Gold
    Identity Crisis + Infinit Crisis (full arc) + Final Crisis (full arc)

Booster Gold
    Superman: Action Comics: Booster Shot
    Batman: The Wedding

Red Hood
    Batman: A Death in the Family + Batman: Under the Hood + Red Hood: The Lost Years

Arsenal
    ???

Darkseid
    Legends
    Identity Crisis + Infinit Crisis (full arc) + Final Crisis (full arc)
    Darkseid War

Mister Miracle
    Mister Miracle by Jack Kirby or the full Fourth World by Jack Kirby
    Mister Miracle by Tom King

Batwoman
    Batwoman: Elegy

Plastic Man
    Plastic Man: On the Lam + Plastic Man: Rubber Bandits

The Question
    52 (the mini-serie) - better to have read Infinit Crisis and Identity Crisis before

Black Lightning
    ???

Lobo
    Lobo: Portrait of a Bastich
    Lobo/The Authority: Holiday Hell

Have fun

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Tim Truman’s Hawkworld mini series is a wonderful Hawkman story.

John Constantine first appeared in Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing run, of course. This is currently in comixology sale...so if you read your comics digitally, this is as close as it gets to a “must” purchase if not read already.
    Two epic reads.

You can always find all 3 issues of hawkworld unloved on Ebay for a couple of $.

With a name like "TheDragonKing" you might want to consider the early 1980s run of All-Star Squadron (which was set back in 1941-1942):

Mighty Member

For Batwoman and The Question, just look for stuff by Greg Rucka. Huntress: Cry for Blood (being re-released this winter) is a good Vic Sage Question story. Batwoman: Elegy is great. Question: Five Books of Blood is a fun Montoya Question story (as is Pipeline).

52 has some good Lobo, Booster, Batwoman, and Question stuff going on in it - plus a ton of other characters - that should make it a must-read.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I haven't actually read anything, just know about them and read about them online rather than actually reading their comics. I've also seen them in movies/shows.
    There's something amazing about that. First, I would suggest subscribing to DCU online if you can since they have tons of old comics. That, or Comixology - the old stuff tends to go cheap and there's a subscription choice, though I don't know how much is offered with that.

-- For Blue Beetle/Booster Gold: just start with #1 of their Justice League run - or the first trade and keep goin until you get tired of it.
    -- The Question (Vic Sage) had his own series by O'Neil and Cowan which was amazing.
    -- With Darkseid, I'd say read the original "New Gods" by Kirby. "Cosmic Odyssey" was also pretty great, imo.