Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

There is a lot of 'bad' art today, but whatever, I just think it is amusing that the bad art the OP came across is modern superstar Mike Deodato Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Why not both...I want good writing and good art.
    I believe we have that now.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    There is a lot of 'bad' art today, but whatever, I just think it is amusing that the bad art the OP came across is modern superstar Mike Deodato Jr.
    Well we had a whole thread trying to knock him and it ended up as a stealth appreciation thread.

I think this is great personally. I guess you had to be there.

I would love to be able to draw like that.

Extraordinary Member

His art is weird. Like, you want to hate it, but it just pulls you in. He also draws a pretty good Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I would go 1/2 and 1/2 as opposed to most was bad.

As far as the exaggerated anatomy...not all of them...I am going to use the art for Extinction Agenda as it had bot Liefeld and Jim Lee during the story. Liefield made Jubilee who was IIRC 13-15 y.o. a very well endowed young lady....however Lee made her look more normally proportioned for her age.
    That's not really that big of a deal. Whether Jubilee is mature and busty and slim, youthful, and energetic tends to vary wildly from artist to artist even today.

Most 90's babies are much better now.

You were always perfect, Capullo.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Spectacular Member

I still think the Epting/Palmer art on the 90s Avengers was some of the best Avengers artwork in their history.
    I had an issue with Jim Lee where (at that time he seems to have worked passed it now) nobody could ever look relaxed. Everything was a muscle flexing pose after muscle flexing pose.
    Liefield well does anything really need to be pointed out about his 'art'. His ability to draw both front and back of women in one bone-breaking position was mindbogglingly terrible. He also seemed to think that everybody has at least 200 teeth in their jaw

this always gave me a few laughs - https://www.progressiveboink.com/201...efeld-drawings

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    I still think the Epting/Palmer art on the 90s Avengers was some of the best Avengers artwork in their history.
    I had an issue with Jim Lee where (at that time he seems to have worked passed it now) nobody could ever look relaxed. Everything was a muscle flexing pose after muscle flexing pose.
    Liefield well does anything really need to be pointed out about his 'art'. His ability to draw both front and back of women in one bone-breaking position was mindbogglingly terrible. He also seemed to think that everybody has at least 200 teeth in their jaw

this always gave me a few laughs - https://www.progressiveboink.com/201...efeld-drawings
    I guess the problem with Liefield is that while the other surviving 90s artists have mostly changed and improved, he hasn't.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well we had a whole thread trying to knock him and it ended up as a stealth appreciation thread.

I think this is great personally. I guess you had to be there.

I would love to be able to draw like that.
    It is interesting to look at early work and see how it evolves, but when I was a kid I probably would have tried copying some of his stuff. Also looking at some stuff from that period you have to take into account how the change in coloring was really making a difference (good and bad) and this was pretty early in digital colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    His art is weird. Like, you want to hate it, but it just pulls you in. He also draws a pretty good Loki.
    For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    When Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, and Joe Mad are considered some of the greatest artists of a decade, I would say there's a problem.
    Yeah, how do you get them to do books for Marvel again. If Major X is able to do as well as it did just imagine what would happen with bigger name.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

It is interesting to look at early work and see how it evolves, but when I was a kid I probably would have tried copying some of his stuff. Also looking at some stuff from that period you have to take into account how the change in coloring was really making a difference (good and bad) and this was pretty early in digital colors.
    Absolutely. I mentioned the technological advances in printing earlier. This was the introduction of the kind of colour gradients we take for granted now.

Personally I think budding artists could still learn from looking at that image. The way that the lines and the anatomy are entirely serving the posture of the figures is an object lesson in expressing emotion and intent. Where I find some modern Deodato lacking is with his move towards a 3D mannequin style he began to loose some of this ability to pose characters emotionally. However I think he has worked through some of that now. He is beginning to do some very interesting work combining mannequins and photo filters with his obvious ability to tell a story.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-14-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

90s comics were infamous for promoting artists who lacked storytelling ability, but could (kinda) draw pin-ups. The had little real artistic training other than drawing actions posed. So when it came to quiet scenes -- they were ill-equipped. That's why you can look at Golden Age artists -- and still get a feel for the atmosphere -- even if the style of art seems date. Too many 90s artists had a style (copied from better artists) but no storytelling ability. Style ruled then -- so it wasn't as obvious as it is today just how bad some of those artists were.

I think one factor might have been that the 90s saw both a rise in the status of the artists (compared to the writers, but also to the editors), as has been mentioned earlier here, but also a noticable influx of artists who had learned to draw primarily by imitating other comics. That contributed both to the relative sameness of style and the impossible anatomies.

Now, there is nothing wrong with learning to draw by imitating other artists, but you still need some variety, given by classical schooling, croquis, studying different styles, and so on.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The superstars were great, problem was, too many inexperienced young guys were hired and flooded the shelves with weak art.
    Marvel didn‘t know how to cope with the loss of talent, neither did Image fill the demand at keep up the quality.

The 90s was a boom period so a lot of stuff got shoveled out that would normally have. There's also a lot of great stuff that got a chance because of this.

Tends to be how booms go.