Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Final Crisis. I really hated this event, but when I re-read it in tpb years later, I was surprised by its numerous qualities, despite its flaws.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    In all fairness, Grant is an author who frequently requires more than one reading. Some people see this as a flaw. (I don't).
    I do. While it's good to gain new insights in re-reading a story, if it requires a second or third or fourth reading to understand the story, the author has failed. My opinion, of course.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Incredible Member

Watchmen
    Silver Age
    New Frontier
    Batman/Grendel 1
    Sandman

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Kingdom Come. I didn't like it the first time I read it. I felt like Diana was leading Clark around by his...nose. In hindsight I get it a little better now. I empathize with why Clark left humanity behind a little more and the attempts to humanize him. He made a mistake but wanted to fix it and do better. I get that. It's actually become one of my favorite "endings" for Superman.

American Alien. I didn't dislike this one the first time I read it but I didn't see it as the greatest Superman story ever at the time it came out the same way a lot of other people did either. I recently re-read it and it's better than I remember. Maybe because I wasn't reading it in monthly installments but as a complete book. Each chapter has it's own charm.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I suspect King & Gerads's Mister Miracle is going to read even better the second time around.
    I bet it will. Crap, now I'm gonna have to dig those issues out and do a full series re-read.

Anyway, I gotta agree on Final Crisis.

For me, what killed the event as it was happening were all the tie-ins that had nothing to do with anything. I was expecting a tight, interconnected story like Infinite Crisis, and FC was not that and I thought that DC was jerking my chain by getting me to buy stuff that wasn't important to the main series. Got so fed up I dropped it all by issue 3.

Bought the FC trade years later (which still included the wonderful Superman 3D) and without the extra distractions from the tie-ins it immediately became my favorite Crisis event.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I didn't get the appeal of THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS until ten years after its release.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Tom King's Batman.

I understand a lot of people don't like it but I think it reads much better in big chunks than it does episodically and I hope and expect it will be better still when it's finished and one can read the whole thing together.

Incredible Member

Brit invasion books read even stronger today than they did at the time. A brief window into how comics could have been.

I'm having a really hard time coming up with anything. Maybe Infinite Crisis but that went from an Eh to an Alright.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I didn't get the appeal of THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS until ten years after its release.
    What is it? I'd like to know.

I haven't re-read THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS--I only read it once when it came out in single issues. I have the collected edition, but have never cracked the book open.

Same goes for most comics. I usually only re-read something if it's a project I'm working on. And most of my projects involve old comics. So I may have re-read all the Mod Diana Prince issues a couple of times over. Or all the Elongated Man stories from the 1960s. And likewise all the New Look Batman stories from the same period. I don't know if they've improved, but I've changed as a person, so my response is bound to be different.

I really need a second lifetime to re-read all the comics I've got taking up space in my place. And I don't have time enough to read the stories I've never read before.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Tom King's Batman.

I understand a lot of people don't like it but I think it reads much better in big chunks than it does episodically and I hope and expect it will be better still when it's finished and one can read the whole thing together.
    It really does, but even then it has some serious pacing issues: You don't drop major cliffhangers and the gop trough a dream-sequence that lasts six issues with no pay-off.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I do. While it's good to gain new insights in re-reading a story, if it requires a second or third or fourth reading to understand the story, the author has failed. My opinion, of course.
    I've never had trouble following Morrison's stories at least on a superficial level, but I can totally see what's jarring about them for a lot of people.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Follow the reading order, and remember to hunt for ther obscurest possible references to DC continuity.
    What reading order?

I read them in the order they appear in the TPBs.

Quote Originally Posted by RBerman View Post
    I found that each of these made more sense the more of the "previous" works in the list I had read. How would you reshuffle them or include other work he's done?
    Interesting that you've got Animal Man so low. Despite its weird concepts, I'd consider it the most accessible easy to read thing he's written.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I don't need to be able to understand it fully, but yeah, I do want to be able to enjoy it on some level the first time round.

I loved Flex Mentallo without really understanding it on my first read.

On the other hand, I got nothing out of The Invisible Kingdom (the last volume of The Invisibles), Seven Soldiers #1, Seaguy and The Mystery Play.