Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm enjoying it very much.

Spectacular Member

Not as good as grim hunt in my opinion, nowhere near last hunt

Not too bad, but not as exciting as I thought Spencer would make it. However the last few issues have really gotten my excitement up. I also really love the way Spencer writes Black Cat and her relationship with Peter being restored is awesome! Loved the flashbacks, the fake marraige proposals that made her mad, love how he fixed the whole Queenpin thing by explaining losing her memories of Peter took half her life away and the emotional fallout that had on her.

I am really excited for what's to come with MJ though!

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I’ve been enjoying it. The start was incredible and it seems to have slowed down a tad for me. I think we could have done with a bit more focus on Spidey so we could unravel the mysteries from his POV instead of others.
    It’s hard to judge until it reaches its ending. It’s been hyped for a while, I’m expecting big things from Kraven vs Spidey

I have enjoyed it a lot but it has become somewhat slow. I suspect that when you reread everything often, it will improve a lot.

i enjoyed it now it concluded but it confirm my expectations regarding Kraven
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Today was the climax, though given how many side-turns and big it was, to me the "Aftermath" feels like its a big thing.

It struck me as repeating and remaking the finale of KLH but somehow manages to be as affecting albeit without the surprise and shock of "first time it happened".

I'm ready for the centipede guy now!

Spectacular Member

As I've said before: this could have been a two-issue story or an oversized one-shot. Repetetive, been-here-before story, Peter being pushed towards a line he hasn't crossed dozens of times before and running away from it fairly easily. And all of this with wildly inappropriate Ramos art (and a few superfluous extra issues). Just an average spider-story blown all out of proportion.

This event was sold as a very dark big blood hunt event, but it's one of those stories where the ending recontextualizes everything and now it's this really beautiful story about clashing philosophies and one man's guilt and path to atonement. He really took Kraven's entire history and made a secret redemption arc. Clever guy, that Spencer.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The epilogue matters in the answer to the overall question. Spider Island was elevated by its epilogue.

This last issue was pretty important in revealing what the larger arc was about, in a way that still made the earlier issues meaningful.

I'm going to need to read it in its entirety, rather than bit by bit, to get a fuller sense of it.

I'm not convinced this is one of the best Spider-Man stories of the last few years, or even Spencer's best work, but I wasn't really expecting that.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

While we obviously gotta wait for the epilogue to know how we feel for sure, I will say in that I do like the direction and execution of the story. It's a scope I feel like The Clone Conspiracy probably should have aimed for, using its length and scale to tell a fairly intimate and personal story, without having to artificially make it "bigger and more epic" than it already was.

Ultimately all the chaos and death is less a "do or die" scenario that could "change everything" and more a backdrop to test Spider-Man's ideologue versus Kraven's.

In retrospect, after this last issue and the way it wrapped things up .... this is my favorite arc since Superior.

This is also the first arc since Superior that worth going back and reading through again one of these days.

Lots of great stuff in there. He gave a lot of callbacks to Spidey lore, gave closure and added details to some unfinished / unsatisfactory Slott plots (it rhymes!) AND ....

He moved a lot of these characters into better / more interesting directions than they were in before it started.

I think its only going to be more classic the second read through (along with a reread of KLH to refresh my memory and set the stage).

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    In retrospect, after this last issue and the way it wrapped things up .... this is my favorite arc since Superior.

This is also the first arc since Superior that worth going back and reading through again one of these days.

Lots of great stuff in there. He gave a lot of callbacks to Spidey lore, gave closure and added details to some unfinished / unsatisfactory Slott plots (it rhymes!) AND ....

He moved a lot of these characters into better / more interesting directions than they were in before it started.

I think its only going to be more classic the second read through (along with a reread of KLH to refresh my memory and set the stage).
    It is interesting how much this is an ode to KLH, almost like A Force Awakens and the original Star Wars.

On the one hand, there are satisfying nods to one of the best Marvel comics. However, it can be seen as derivative (To avoid being vague on my own opinion, I'm conflicted on this.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I liked it a lot, especially this last issue, it was excellent.