Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Enough with Peter Meets Miles. How About Peter Meets...

...Ultimate Peter?

In the end of Spider-Men 2, we saw the Ultimate Universe re introduced and Peter back as Spider-Man.
    Wouldn't a meeting between Peter of 616 and Ultimate Peter be cool and break the cliche meetings with Miles?

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Ship for that has pretty much sailed the minute that Marvel decided to close the door on the Ultimate Universe as a whole.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

with Bendis gone I don't think anyone will have any interest in having the two meet though of course if Spider verse does turn into a trilogy then he may feature as he is the only spider to have missed the thing.

Astonishing Member

What would the story be about? What would the conflict be?

BANNED

When Bendis wrote Spider-Men and was promoting it, he explained why 616 Peter meeting Miles was better than 616 Peter meeting 1610 Peter:

[
    ]BENDIS: And by the way, what he said will never happen. It was—Peter meeting Peter was what he was referring to and I agreed with him that there wasn’t much of a story there. Certainly you could have shoved a story in of two Spider-Mans but the core of it would be, “Hey, look, you’re vaguely younger than me! And hey, you’re dating someone who looks a lot like my girlfriend but vaguely younger.” And then, what?

There wasn’t any emotional punch, but here you can see, even in the first issue, just a hint of the emotionality of Peter coming to visit a world where he has died being Spider-Man. Really getting to see the emotional impact that generates throughout the city and more importantly to his direct friends and family. And then get to see this kid living up to a legacy that he’d started, even though he wasn’t aware that he was creating this legacy. So all of these things was the reason to do this crossover and what Joe was referring to was—what I’m referring to could not happen with “Peter meets Peter.” Certainly not where the stories were at the time. Certainly not in the first two years of Ultimates.

https://comicbook.com/blog/2012/06/1...-men-and-more/
    [
    ]

Ultimate Peter Parker aside from having a different backstory and so on, isn't too different from 616 Peter for there to be any real bounce and spark. At best you could have jokes and gags about how 616 Peter realizes "gee time seems to move way more slowly in Ultimate Spider-Man, a hour hear feels like many years...that explains why this Ultimate kid ends up going through all my rogues as a teenager than the 10 years of continuity that I have".
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 05-27-2019 at 06:23 AM.

iMan 42s

Doing something like that is alright in theory, but the ship has sailed long ago on that and not just with the closing of the Ultimate brand. Basically it wouldn't be worth it because at this point Ultimate Peter is little different than 616 Peter. Unless you got him from a different period in his life (and at that point you make him a new character), it's not worth it.

There are differences, but none of them really amount to much that you wouldn't be rather doing MC2 Peter, RYV, or even Aaron Aikman in Ultimate Peter's place.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    There are differences, but none of them really amount to much that you wouldn't be rather doing MC2 Peter, RYV, or even Aaron Aikman in Ultimate Peter's place.
    When Spider-Verse happened, you had Mayday meeting 616 Peter and the emotion that it would have had it been Pre-OMD (i.e. Peter seeing a grown-up version of his baby girl who was "miscarried/kidnapped" what-have-you) wasn't there with Post-OMD Peter who is now just a few years older than Mayday and the entire marriage and large chunks of continuity was removed.

You saw that in Spider-Girls where Houser was able to have the RYV Parkers deal with Mayday the grown-up version of the baby that was miscarried. You had issues leading up to that in Houser's RYV where RYV MJ takes Annie to Mayday's grave and Spider-Girls has Annie spending time with the woman who would have been her elder sister.

Ultimate Spider-Man was essentially a distillation of 616 Spider-Man's continuity but transmuted to teenage setting. So it's not different in a lot of respects from 616. Jonah Jameson is a crusty boss who likes Peter, May is a hip cool mom, Norman Osborn is still pure scum. The major difference is that Ultimate Peter is dead, his identity is revealed, and Spider-Man's a beloved folk hero for the world, who's essentially like the James Dean, Jimi Hendrix or Heath Ledger i.e. cool dude who died too young.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    When Bendis wrote Spider-Men and was promoting it, he explained why 616 Peter meeting Miles was better than 616 Peter meeting 1610 Peter:

[]

Ultimate Peter Parker aside from having a different backstory and so on, isn't too different from 616 Peter for there to be any real bounce and spark. At best you could have jokes and gags about how 616 Peter realizes "gee time seems to move way more slowly in Ultimate Spider-Man, a hour hear feels like many years...that explains why this Ultimate kid ends up going through all my rogues as a teenager than the 10 years of continuity that I have".
    And for the time, it was a blast, sure.
    What i am talking about is that... Peter and Miles is something we have seen again and again and again. Hell, post Secret Wars and Spider-Verse, Spider-Men 2 was completely obsulete, apart from that Ultimate U comeback.

And to be clear with all: i am a huge fan of Miles and i do not want him to go back to the UU. Ijust want to see a meeting between Spider-Man and the original Ultimate Spider-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Doing something like that is alright in theory, but the ship has sailed long ago on that and not just with the closing of the Ultimate brand. Basically it wouldn't be worth it because at this point Ultimate Peter is little different than 616 Peter. Unless you got him from a different period in his life (and at that point you make him a new character), it's not worth it.

I keep reading about the sailed ship and all.
    MC2 Mayday of all people had a chance to interact with Peter and it's a bit too late for Ultimate Peter?
    Last edited by Minerboh; 05-27-2019 at 09:38 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What would the story be about? What would the conflict be?
    Why it should be a conflict and not a team up?
    The possibilities are infinite there always a reason to call a multiversial team up. Spider-Verse and Spider-Geddon taught us that.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Why it should be a conflict and not a team up?
    The possibilities are infinite there always a reason to call a multiversial team up. Spider-Verse and Spider-Geddon taught us that.
    A conflict doesn't mean that the two Spider-Men have to be against one another. They could be working together, but they would still need some kind of common enemy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Peter and Ultimate Peter probably wouldn't be that different from what Zdarsky did in that Spec arc with younger Peter, even if in that case I don't think Zdarsky wrote the young Peter to be like Ultimate Pete.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A conflict doesn't mean that the two Spider-Men have to be against one another. They could be working together, but they would still need some kind of common enemy.
    Norman discovers the Ultimate U and with the help of Mysterio goes there in order to make his plans and blah, blah, blah.
    Peter learns about this and uses the interdimensional transporter and teams up with U Peter to repel Norman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Peter and Ultimate Peter probably wouldn't be that different from what Zdarsky did in that Spec arc with younger Peter, even if in that case I don't think Zdarsky wrote the young Peter to be like Ultimate Pete.
    We do not know that 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A new writer would do their take on a decent story?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets