Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    The trade paperback market is the reason why Moon Girl sold so well. I know she was very popular at Scholastic book fairs.

You'd think a comic about science and cosmic exploration would be great to ride that market, especially with this art style. Nope! Thanks, Marvel.
    I'll be honest, I wouldn't call the first two issues of this series "a comic about science and cosmic exploration". It's been an extend prison break featuring some deep dives into continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    The trade paperback market is the reason why Moon Girl sold so well. I know she was very popular at Scholastic book fairs.

You'd think a comic about science and cosmic exploration would be great to ride that market, especially with this art style. Nope! Thanks, Marvel.
    And they need new books for that market, as both Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl have solicited their final issues.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Just read the second issue... I thought the Maker’s word balloons were supposed to have capital and lowercase letters, like how the Ultimate books were. In here he’s all caps like everyone else. Small detail but it was a neat little way of showing he wasn’t from 616 after Secret Wars.

Wouldn't his first few speech bubbles have spoiled that he was the Maker? It was probably deliberately avoided to preserve issue 1's end of issue cliffhanger.

Issue 1 ranked 40th, compared to Fantastic Four #13 in 33rd place. How does that justify the axe?
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...s-august-2019/
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Issue 1 ranked 40th, compared to Fantastic Four #13 in 33rd place. How does that justify the axe?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Cancelled after what, two issues? That must be some kind of record.
    We had a quick era with tons of 5 issue ongoings (Solo, Slapstick, Foolkiller, etc.) so it's not that unusual.

I'm just sad for Whitley.

This keeps happening to him and they say sales but I don't think its really that
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    We had a quick era with tons of 5 issue ongoings (Solo, Slapstick, Foolkiller, etc.) so it's not that unusual.

I'm just sad for Whitley.
    They should maybe just do limited series to jump in and see what they are up to and if it does well plan another one.

Wouldn't his first few speech bubbles have spoiled that he was the Maker? It was probably deliberately avoided to preserve issue 1's end of issue cliffhanger.

I'm not really defending the decision, but from what I understand, comic sales tend to follow a predictable pattern issue to issue.

Kieron Gillen: I was like, “No, I want to take a big swing at something.” And so WicDiv was that. For the first time in our career, we knew we had some audience attention so we have a chance. If you launch at a certain number, it’s possible to work out where you’ll roughly be at by issue 40. That’s how sales works. We knew it was a once-in-a-career chance. So we were definitely aiming big. I said to Jamie, “Let’s pour everything we love into it.” And for me, I was like five years older than Jamie and I was explicitly setting fire to my youth. “I’m 38. By the time this is over I’ll be 43.”
    It's an abnormal occurrence for sales to increase issue to issue rather than decrease, so if you launch low, the expectation is that you'll only go lower.

I feel like they've stopped valuing the logic of letting something that has low sales in single issues continue for the purpose producing decently-selling trades. I imagine that Moon Girl is ending for similar reasons.

Maybe those low selling titles should be MDOs? Marvel Digital Originals. Digital first, then print trade, but no print singles.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe those low selling titles should be MDOs? Marvel Digital Originals. Digital first, then print trade, but no print singles.
    Will they release as trades?? I don't do digital.

They do release the digital originals as print TPBs, yes. Kelly Thompson's Jessica Jones is one series released that way.

I wish Marvel would do what DC is doing with their Ink and Zoom lines and go heavy on OGNs. It's a really forward thinking approach.

And they need new books for that market, as both Moon Girl and Squirrel Girl have solicited their final issues.
    It's been mentioned by some on these threads about Future Foundation being another kids' book. It fits, having a variety of personalities, some odd looking characters and writers who are certainly capable of [putting a real all ages flavor on the stories.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Can those five issues be bundled into a TPB, maybe with a bonus story (like say when the entire Power Pack showed up way back in Hickman's FF)?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES