Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Doomsday Clock Ending (SPOILER!!!)

spoilers:
    The Kents are alive again. Does this mean that Clark put them in danger by revealing his identity?
    end of spoilers

Oh yeah.... I forgot about all that. For a moment there I had forgotten Bendis was writing Superman and doing his own weird thing.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Bendis has been teasing for a while the parents will return in interviews, so I assume this was pre planned. If the reaction isn't in one of the one shots in January, he may just be waiting a few issues later because DC was worried doomsday clock would get delayed again.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Oh yeah.... I forgot about all that. For a moment there I had forgotten Bendis was writing Superman and doing his own weird thing.
    Was good while it lasted.

*sigh*

Ma and Pa Kent, we barely knew ye.

Personally, I would think supervillains would have attacked Smallville even if the Kents were still dead.

It’s not like you have to kill a Smallville resident in particular to hurt Supes. Any innocent bystander will do. Maybe some villains will try to attack his hometown or his family but it’s not his villains didn’t already know he and Lois were into each other or that the DP and Supes were connected. We’ll see what happens I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s not like you have to kill a Smallville resident in particular to hurt Supes. Any innocent bystander will do.
    That's a big part of (or should be part of) his characterization. Basically the whole point of Up in the Sky. You don't have to kidnap Lois, Lana, Jimmy, or Ma to get his attention, he's going to go on a quest to rescue a random child. He'd try to save anyone.

This can be pretty much dropped into the main books and I expect it to. It doesn't break anything other than passing references in Bendis' run. The DDC Superman/Legion reunion sure can't though.

In any case I remain staunch Superman is better without them in his adult years. But there's nothing much about the current status quo I like anyway so it really doesn't matter to me now. I'm at the point of do what you will with this one.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-18-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I always like the Johns-Snyder crowd scene where it's full of "deep cut" characters whose... actions or lines don't really make sense. Like on which Earth does Avery Ho dogpile Superman, haha.

No idea what to make of the fallout as I've heard because frankly I haven't kept up with the series. It doesn't sound like much beyond the Kents, who are really a take or leave.

Let me know when there is finally a series starring the Superman of 1961-1986 and I'll buy dozens of copies.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

For anyone not in the know, over on Word Balloon Fraction let slip that they have a story that addresses what Superman's revealed identity means for Ma and Pa, and the people of Smallville. It'll be in the Superman: Heroes one-shot.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

oh my god

oh my god it's so dumb

Literally no joke about Doomsday Clock over the last 3 years about it ending with Superman asking Doctor Manhattan "but what about...hope?" and Manhattan flipping out because he'd never considered this remotely anticipated how genuinely twee and dumb it was gonna get. And bringing him back as public Superboy and bringing back the Kents and making him like the 186th superhero or whatever again because Geoff hates me personally I guess, and conflating the lovely idea of 'Superman will live forever' with 'everything about and around Superman will be exactly the same forever and ever because corporate event comics will make sure of it, that is in fact not only beautiful but the ultimate idealistic aspiration of humanity' - an indescribably, infinitely more cynical proposition than anything in Watchmen itself - and Lois 'good people on both sides' Lane right after Superman leads all the superheroes in saving Donald Trump from an angry brown man, and good lord, 'Clark', and...and...

When I say the Superman who just smiles & salutes the flag can easily be at least as wretched as the dude in the movies, this comic is what I mean. I do not believe I have ever read, or will ever read, a comic that leaves me as fundamentally exhausted by the genre and its future prospects as this.

Luckily Superman Smashes the Klan also came out today so Superman still rules though.
    Buh-bye

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Well, looks like this thing was as abysmal as I knew it would be.

Always Rakzo

Love it. Now they just need to return Jon to his proper age to have a big happy family.

Conclusion delivered the most appropriate Superman I've seen in a while. Relevant, powerful and inspiring. If only I could have Johns write him instead of Bendis.

Clark is so lucky. This would never happen to Barry Allen .

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Well, looks like this thing was as abysmal as I knew it would be.
    There are times Johns shows his age and privilege but it works as a "Superman is the best" story.

It fails as a sequel to Watchmen, and Grant Morrison did a better "Superman is the best" story in 2 issues.

It's disappointing but not that bad.