Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm looking for a map that shows Metropolis' position in the larger world. I do want to know where it is relative to other cities, fictional and real. Bonus points is Hamilton is shown or if anyone could tell me where the other end of that high-speed train to Metropolis is.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Here is one map made by fans I assume, that fits older stories

Across the water from Gotham is pretty consistent and works well enough. I'm actually really into the Delaware setting even though Metropolis is basically a huge mix of real cities and Gotham is so much more like my previous residence, Chicago, than anything I've seen of NJ, my home state.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Thanks for the map. We ever get any references to housing prices in Metropolis? I mean, I kinda wonder if its NYC-expensive or Washington DC-expensive or what? I remember Alice living the Daily Planet, but there was medical debt involved. I do recall Jimmy living with his mother in earlier post-COIE days, but I'm not sure how old he was supposed to be then or what he was supposed to earn.

Also trying to figure out their public transit.

I've actually heard comment before that Chicago suited Gotham, because Chicago has alleys.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-29-2019 at 03:00 PM.

I really enjoyed Bendis exploring Metropolis in the beginning of Action. That whole first arc had a certain feel to it. I dropped Action since, just got too bogged down with Leviathan for me, but I liked where he was going before all that and hope he's gets back to it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    I really enjoyed Bendis exploring Metropolis in the beginning of Action. That whole first arc had a certain feel to it. I dropped Action since, just got too bogged down with Leviathan for me, but I liked where he was going before all that and hope he's gets back to it.
    Yeah, this was one of its strengths early on that I hope he returns to now that Leviathan has concluded. Action was so strong for the first arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, this was one of its strengths early on that I hope he returns to now that Leviathan has concluded. Action was so strong for the first arc.
    It was really strong wasn't it. I was loving it. Felt kinda mysterious and dirty beneath the shine. Using the local cast was good. It complimented the Superman title really well too, with the big action/out of this world hero stuff happening over there and Action keeping a more grounded approach, we kinda got the best of both Superman worlds. I'll probably give it another try soon and hope it gets back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Thanks for the map. We ever get any references to housing prices in Metropolis? I mean, I kinda wonder if its NYC-expensive or Washington DC-expensive or what? I remember Alice living the Daily Planet, but there was medical debt involved. I do recall Jimmy living with his mother in earlier post-COIE days, but I'm not sure how old he was supposed to be then or what he was supposed to earn.

Also trying to figure out their public transit.

I've actually heard comment before that Chicago suited Gotham, because Chicago has alleys.
    Metropolis I’ve always pictured as taking NYC’s “place” as the premier city to be.

Chicago is perfect as a stand in for Gotham because
    1. It’s thoroughly corrupt
    2. It has a long history of violence that continues up to the present day
    3. Nolan used it for shooting his Gotham
    4. It’s either hotter than Hell or colder than Hel which is how Gotham is in comics

But as someone born and raised in Illinois I might be biased lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Metropolis I’ve always pictured as taking NYC’s “place” as the premier city to be.

Chicago is perfect as a stand in for Gotham because
    1. It’s thoroughly corrupt
    2. It has a long history of violence that continues up to the present day
    3. Nolan used it for shooting his Gotham
    4. It’s either hotter than Hell or colder than Hel which is how Gotham is in comics

But as someone born and raised in Illinois I might be biased lol.
    I'm from the west coast and that's been my interpretation as well, so perhaps something's in the water.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Bendis' first arc on ACTION was really strong stuff. I loved the Invisible Mafia and he wrote some of the best Superman stuff I've read in ages, character wise. I havent been keeping up, had to dip out when it went to Crossover Land. I don't have the budget or time to keep up with 6 Superman titles (Jimmy Olsen has been where it's "at" for me).

Has he done more work on Metropolis? I was keen to see how his Metropolis would feel. I'm sick of the art deco look of the City of Tomorrow, at least within the confines of an ongoing continuity (I'd love a genuine take on that in a flick inspired by a mixture of Fleischer and AoS with Reeves). I want something cutting edge. Bright buildings with a real gorgeous sleek look- mixed with Suicide Slums that look like a dystopian capitalist hell.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-30-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Bendis' first arc on ACTION was really strong stuff. I loved the Invisible Mafia and he wrote some of the best Superman stuff I've read in ages, character wise. I havent been keeping up, had to dip out when it went to Crossover Land. I don't have the budget or time to keep up with 6 Superman titles (Jimmy Olsen has been where it's "at" for me).

Has he done more work on Metropolis? I was keen to see how his Metropolis would feel. I'm sick of the art deco look of the City of Tomorrow, at least within the confines of an ongoing continuity (I'd love a genuine take on that in a flick inspired by a mixture of Fleischer and AoS with Reeves). I want something cutting edge. Bright buildings with a real gorgeous sleek look- mixed with Suicide Slums that look like a dystopian capitalist hell.
    Sad to say the focus on building Metropolis took a backseat to the crossovers and has yet to really return. I can't help but feel that editorial asked him to put it on the backburner and go for more classic superheroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sad to say the focus on building Metropolis took a backseat to the crossovers and has yet to really return. I can't help but feel that editorial asked him to put it on the backburner and go for more classic superheroics.
    Could be. This Legion of Doom stuff does feel a little out of left field but the Invisible Mafia does seem set to still play a role.

See, I dig LOD but would rather see them in the Superman title. After the way Action started they almost feel out of place. Invisible Mafia works though. More of that sort of thing would pull me back in.