Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Questions About Dr. Strange's Prediction/Endgame Ending

Please forgive me if these are stupid questions...

The writers of Avengers: Endgame have stated that the "one" way Dr. Strange foresaw Thanos being defeated was Tony Stark/Iron Man dying and the Infinity Stones being destroyed.

My question is this...

At the end of Endgame, Stark dies because he stole the Infinity Stones off of Thanos' gauntlet and used them to defeat Thanos, resulting in Stark's death from the release of energy from the stones.

But the stones weren't destroyed at all at the end of Endgame. They were taken back to the past by Captain America. So, why weren't the stones destroyed like Dr. Strange foresaw?

And how does taking the stones back into the past prevent anything from happening again?

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    Please forgive me if these are stupid questions...

The writers of Avengers: Endgame have stated that the "one" way Dr. Strange foresaw Thanos being defeated was Tony Stark/Iron Man dying and the Infinity Stones being destroyed.

My question is this...

At the end of Endgame, Stark dies because he stole the Infinity Stones off of Thanos' gauntlet and used them to defeat Thanos, resulting in Stark's death from the release of energy from the stones.

But the stones weren't destroyed at all at the end of Endgame. They were taken back to the past by Captain America. So, why weren't the stones destroyed like Dr. Strange foresaw?

And how does taking the stones back into the past prevent anything from happening again?
    The stones in the present were destroyed that why they needed them from the past. So now in the present the stones are just atoms spread through the cosmos.

All-New Member

How were the stones destroyed in the present???

Quote Originally Posted by Triton View Post
    How were the stones destroyed in the present???
    Thanos destroyed them himself, the energy output from that was how the Avengers were able to find him on the garden world.

As Banner (and another character) explain, in the MCU, time travel doesn't alter the past, it just creates a parallel universe based on the changes you made (like stealing an Infinity Stone and leaving a wizard without the tool to stop an evil entity down the road), which continues to exist unless the change is undone (like putting the Stone back), thus "cutting off" that branch before it can continue.

So, basically, the Avengers changed nothing in their history, but brought alternate versions of the Infinity Stones from other parallel universes to this one and used them to fix things in the present and then put them back to keep the multiverse running smoothly.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    As Banner (and another character) explain, in the MCU, time travel doesn't alter the past, it just creates a parallel universe based on the changes you made (like stealing an Infinity Stone and leaving a wizard without the tool to stop an evil entity down the road), which continues to exist unless the change is undone (like putting the Stone back), thus "cutting off" that branch before it can continue.
    Actually, Banner (and another character) explained that time travel doesn't alter the past or create an alternate timeline. Only removing an Infinity Stone does that.

BANNED

The thing I don't understand about Strange is that he appears to have actually died in Infinity War, but somehow saw the future beyond his own death, which even The Ancient One was unable to do. How did Strange manage it?

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The thing I don't understand about Strange is that he appears to have actually died in Infinity War, but somehow saw the future beyond his own death, which even The Ancient One was unable to do. How did Strange manage it?
    IIRC in Endgame, The Ancient One said Strange was supposed to be the greatest of all the Sorcerers Supreme or somesuch. Hence, he could see further than she could.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The Ancient One dies and stays dead.
    Strange dies and wakes up 5 years later.

I imagine that probably has something to do with it. He died on Titan (and in Korea) but his time wasn’t up yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    The Ancient One dies and stays dead.
    Strange dies and wakes up 5 years later.

I imagine that probably has something to do with it. He died on Titan (and in Korea) but his time wasn’t up yet either.
    Also the way he died. It's possible they were just in the soul stone. We havent seen the Stones bring anyone back who was dead dead. Only people who dusted. Otherwise not let Carol or Thor try to bring Tony back? Or when they snapped bring back all the people who Thanos killed manualy and not with the snap? I dont think Dr Strange was entirely dead

Ultimate Member

Actually, Banner (and another character) explained that time travel doesn't alter the past or create an alternate timeline. Only removing an Infinity Stone does that.
    Then by that logic, Loki escaping with the space gem didn't create a new reality, but changed the past. But since Loki's still dead...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Then by that logic, Loki escaping with the space gem didn't create a new reality, but changed the past. But since Loki's still dead...
    Escaped with the space stone being the key phrase there.

Ultimate Member

Escaped with the space stone being the key phrase there.
    Yeah, it's not removed from time, only space. So per your argument, no new timeline.

Thought they were pretty clear that once you enter the past, you start a new timeline branch (they specifically point out that Back to the Future was [bleep]).

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That was part of one of the branch off timelines, since they were already there and altering stuff. Unless Cap was able to cut off that branch, alt-Loki is just tooling around in that reality, while "our" Loki is still dead.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Thought they were pretty clear that once you enter the past, you start a new timeline branch (they specifically point out that Back to the Future was [bleep]).

That was part of one of the branch off timelines, since they were already there and altering stuff. Unless Cap was able to cut off that branch, alt-Loki is just tooling around in that reality, while "our" Loki is still dead.
    Ancient ones explanation makes it sound like putting a stone back clips the branches completely. But yea i just read it as her showing how important the stones are and by removing one any new timeline is doomed. Putting it back prevents it but yea The directors and just the logic of the movie leads to mutilple time lines being the only thing that makes sense. Because to much was changed to not create new timelines on mutiple occasions. Putting the stone back saves that new timeline it doesnt make Thanos not dead years early. Or Gamora Displaced, or Loki back in custody. Guess the cap one can be explained as he was always there and that was suppose to happen but that answer makes the least sense given everything. I mean if Cap was supposed to have always been there then everything else that happens was always suppose to happen cause that's what leads him back to peggy.