Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    DC keeps effing them up.

One problem is that they keep messing up the core cast when they're the main sellers of the Titans franchise. Cyborg lost all connection with his closest friends, Raven can never stay an adult and is forced to be part of every young generation, Garth just gets ignored, Donna can never have a stable fanbase due to terrible management, Wally just keeps getting shi$$ed on, and Roy just keeps getting himself in horrible stories. X-men do stupid stuff with their main cast but you would always see them at large and in top billing.

Second, DC does nothing to build upon the secondary characters at all. Bumblebee and Mal are stuck in the same storylines and always appear in 5 issues then goes into limbo for another century. The rest are always killed off or placed in limbo. Then you get unnecessary new characters every relaunch. While the X-men introduce a lot of new characters they utilize their secondary cast waaay better than the Titans franchise. New Mutants, X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur, etc.

Third, mediocre writers are always placed on the comic. No high talented writers are placed within the Titans franchise. Johns was the latest one (arguable to some) and that was YEARS ago.

I agree with new editorial or management. It's time to clean house.

Titans is successful but I didn't expect it to have an impact. Hell, the cartoon barely had an impact and a lot of people love that.
    The cartoon made the Teen Titans franchise mainstream again.People liked how the cartoon handled the characters but the people writing the comics never bothered to use those characterizations(with the exception of Raven who is much closer to her cartoon version)even when they would have benefitted the characters.

Comic Cyborg is still dealing with the 'am I a man or monster' angst/debate when cartoon Cyborg overcame that by the second season. Thankfully, JLO is ignoring the whole 'am I a man or monster' nonsense to deal with cosmic shenanigans.

The writers tried to make Terra closer to her cartoon version in the New 52, she became a better character but the book she was in was garbage and those changes didn't stick.

Starfire's characterization was reverted to cartoon version because of the bad taste Lobdell's Red Hood and the Outlaws left in everyone's mouth. We got a fun book out of that, but I always felt that Starfire was a bit too silly in that run. Current Starfire in JLO feels like an older, smarter version of the cartoon version and that's a good thing.

The darker aspects of Beast Boy's character got toned down after the cartoon and he became a more comedic character. Abnett bought those issues back and pretty much used them as a diabolos ex machina to screw to create forced drama. There's also the possibility that he might wind up on the Batman Who Laughs payroll in the coming months.

I didn't like how the cartoon handled Dick, he was angry and angsty all the time(with good reason). However, he was cool and the writers did tone down his angst/anger after the 1st season. The current writers at DC have forgotten that Dick is supposed to be cool and they have him living as a crazy hobo loser named Ric.
    Last edited by king81992; 05-15-2019 at 10:21 AM.