Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Hahahahahaha
    Wait....
    Ahahahahahahahaha
    I'm sorry. The whole story is a trainwreck because it doesn't cater to personal biases?
    Personal biases? Of course I have a bias. I found Life Story to be depressing ( almost as bad as Leaving Las Vegas or Jacobs Ladder). What Chip did with Sins Past really sticks out. Why? I never heard of any justification for that story ( unlike OMD or even the Clone Saga), but here it is brought back. I will not be buying the next issue that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Personal biases? Of course I have a bias. I found Life Story to be depressing ( almost as bad as Leaving Las Vegas or Jacobs Ladder). What Chip did with Sins Past really sticks out. Why? I never heard of any justification for that story ( unlike OMD or even the Clone Saga), but here it is brought back. I will not be buying the next issue that is for sure.
    Okay. Well, that's all well and good then.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'm, not going to sugar coat it. It's a train wreck and the main characters ARE being written OOC.
    This couldn't possibly have anything to do with his take on Peter and MJ .......

Nah that would be totally OOC for you.

This series is great and that's all there is to it. Sometimes life has its bumpy roads and ups and downs and screw ups. Peter Parker screws up like we do. It makes sense that all this stuff would take a heavy toll on a Peter who is starting to slow down, these are some of the biggest events in his life (from the character's publishing history) right in this issue, plus the real world events taking place. Will it not be a more interesting story to see him find his way back again as he gets older?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    This series is great and that's all there is to it. Sometimes life has its bumpy roads and ups and downs and screw ups. Peter Parker screws up like we do. It makes sense that all this stuff would take a heavy toll on a Peter who is starting to slow down, these are some of the biggest events in his life (from the character's publishing history) right in this issue, plus the real world events taking place. Will it not be a more interesting story to see him find his way back again as he gets older?
    Maybe that happens or maybe Peter dies and ends up in Hell, while Mephisto gets the final victory..

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Things seem pretty grim for Peter right now, but remember, this is a finite, six-issue miniseries. Most stories are pretty grim halfway through - gotta give the hero something to overcome by the end!

(Also, I wonder if Allentown, Pennsylvania's destruction was a reference to the similar destruction of Pittsburgh in Marvel's 1980s subline, the New Universe.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i know it’s not a particularly anglo celtic thing to have extended family living arrangements; but a lot of ethnic families would be horrified at the idea of putting a parent in a home. even one with dementia
    The most consistently depressing thing about Spider-Man message boards is the consensus that women don't deserve to live once they hit 60.

I really liked this issue.

We have a conflicted Peter about his power and responsibilities and has doubts about how far he should take them and which things he should prioritize.

He's tired of the repition of war; war between countries, war against supervillains, war even with his friends; but he can't stop fighting

That he refuses to take May to an old people's home hasn't got to do with money, he surely could pay for a good place for her to be, but it's painful for him to be separated from the woman that raised him and he feels a comprehensible sense that he would be betraying her. Could he put his priorities in order and fix things with MJ? Sure, but that requires time, and that is something Peter doesn't have, jumping from one problem to another, which has to do with my firsts thoughts about the limits of his power and responsibilities.

As always, I'm eager for the next chapter and Bagley keeps on doing an amazing job with Zdarsky's script
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Parents are both working, and May in this issue is dangerous to leave with the kids. Peter himself is basically foisting her on MJ to look after and deal with when her priorities are the babies. So it's a difficult thing. I will say that it's weird that PI with its wealth and so on still presents the Parker family as basically living in the same poor setup they did back in the day.
    right, having yet to read, i don’t have the context

but i can empathise with not wanting to stick someone in aged care unless its palliative
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Maybe that happens or maybe Peter dies and ends up in Hell, while Mephisto gets the final victory..
    i mean, people have been enjoying comics, books and movies for a long time. we all know how the mechanics work now don’t we?

cap is not really hydra, ock didn’t really kill spidey and mephisto isn’t going to marry peter
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The most consistently depressing thing about Spider-Man message boards is the consensus that women don't deserve to live once they hit 60.

if you ain’t a hot redhead with a penchant for nicotine gtfo
    troo fan or death

Seriously.

BANNED

Not even remotely what we were talking about, and getting really off topic. If you've read the issue discuss the scene, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Not even remotely what we were talking about, and getting really off topic. If you've read the issue discuss the scene, please.
    it’s a tangent, we’ve all indulged at times

and having been on this board a while, i’ve seen the calls for may’s death border on bloodlust. some peeps seem to want jonny storm to turn up in her kitchen yelling dracarys
    Last edited by boots; 05-15-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    it’s a tangent, we’ve all indulged at times
    That has to do with how Marvel handles things more than anything. May has two aspects. One, as a character which she was from AF#15-ASM#400 and in JMS' Spider-Man until she got shot. The other aspect is something to keep Peter infantilized and shackled and so on, hence the crap between those two and after JMS and so on. Like Dan Slott trying to make her a bigot or the BND Team creating a new Mr. Aunt May based on a never-before-seen-heard-mentioned dad that Jameson had been keeping on the shelf without telling anyone (while also contradicting I think two or three Jameson origin stories).

IN any case, Chip Zdarsky hardly featured May in Issue #1 where she makes a brief panel appearance. She was in the background of Issue #2 where it's said Ock married her sometime. We see far more of her in Issue #3 where she has dementia. If you are invested in May staying alive and be a regular part of Spider-Man's character. I can't imagine you would be especially pleased with Zdarsky's take on May, especially since it seems to divert radically from the classic characters vis-a-vis her relationship with MJ. I mean May preferred Mary Jane to Gwen and always saw her as "the" girl for Peter, but that's implied not to be the case here.