Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That has to do with how Marvel handles things more than anything. May has two aspects. One, as a character which she was from AF#15-ASM#400 and in JMS' Spider-Man until she got shot. The other aspect is something to keep Peter infantilized and shackled and so on, hence the crap between those two and after JMS and so on. Like Dan Slott trying to make her a bigot or the BND Team creating a new Mr. Aunt May based on a never-before-seen-heard-mentioned dad that Jameson had been keeping on the shelf without telling anyone (while also contradicting I think two or three Jameson origin stories).

IN any case, Chip Zdarsky hardly featured May in Issue #1 where she makes a brief panel appearance. She was in the background of Issue #2 where it's said Ock married her sometime. We see far more of her in Issue #3 where she has dementia. If you are invested in May staying alive and be a regular part of Spider-Man's character. I can't imagine you would be especially pleased with Zdarsky's take on May, especially since it seems to divert radically from the classic characters vis-a-vis her relationship with MJ. I mean May preferred Mary Jane to Gwen and always saw her as "the" girl for Peter, but that's implied not to be the case here.
    there we go! tangent fully indulged
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

That has to do with how Marvel handles things more than anything. May has two aspects. One, as a character which she was from AF#15-ASM#400 and in JMS' Spider-Man until she got shot. The other aspect is something to keep Peter infantilized and shackled and so on, hence the crap between those two and after JMS and so on. Like Dan Slott trying to make her a bigot or the BND Team creating a new Mr. Aunt May based on a never-before-seen-heard-mentioned dad that Jameson had been keeping on the shelf without telling anyone (while also contradicting I think two or three Jameson origin stories).

IN any case, Chip Zdarsky hardly featured May in Issue #1 where she makes a brief panel appearance. She was in the background of Issue #2 where it's said Ock married her sometime. We see far more of her in Issue #3 where she has dementia. If you are invested in May staying alive and be a regular part of Spider-Man's character. I can't imagine you would be especially pleased with Zdarsky's take on May, especially since it seems to divert radically from the classic characters vis-a-vis her relationship with MJ. I mean May preferred Mary Jane to Gwen and always saw her as "the" girl for Peter, but that's implied not to be the case here.
    Emphasis on the word tangent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Emphasis on the word tangent.
    Not when I brought things back on topic and point out May's presence in Life Story and where she fits in the first three issues. You're all welcome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    This series is great and that's all there is to it
    That's your opinion and that's all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Peter Parker screws up like we do.
    Not to this extent.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Hahahahahaha
    Wait....
    Ahahahahahahahaha
    I'm sorry. The whole story is a trainwreck because it doesn't cater to personal biases?
    There are more problems to this issue than just OOC writing.

Why are you mocking an opinion that differs from yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    This couldn't possibly have anything to do with his take on Peter and MJ .......
    It's his take on everything, but go on, assume you know what I'm thinking. Attacking me for my opinion will do nothing to change it.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-16-2019 at 12:46 AM.

How about people stop getting short with each other. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Miles To Go, i would argue that these characters are not being written out of character because they are not the same characters as their 616 counterparts. Let’s focus on this as what it is, an elseworlds story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Miles To Go, i would argue that these characters are not being written out of character because they are not the same characters as their 616 counterparts. Let’s focus on this as what it is, an elseworlds story.
    I am approaching it from that angle, my favourite takes on Spider-Man are usually all from alternate worlds, and many of them are more consistent with his character than this

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    How about people stop getting short with each other. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Yeah. I mean in theory I was always open to the idea of Peter and MJ not working out for another. As long as that story doesn't come at making MJ look like the bad person and it comes from a believable place, then I am open to it. I am open to an idea that I am not keen on being done well enough that I accept it. To give another example, I don't like the idea of Evil Superman, however written compellingly, like in Tom Taylor's run on Injustice comics, I find it well done.

LIFE STORY is clearly written largely for fans familiar with Spider-Man lore and background. It's not a newbie friendly entry. Like #3 depends on you knowing about Secret Wars for the opening of that to make sense. It's not a definitive take. It's simply Zdarsky's own story and approach, and it's valid for an AU to do that. At the end of the day, there's Spider-Girl and RYV showing Peter as a loving, caring, devoted dad. Having one where he's a deadbeat isn't going to tip the scales.

Yeah. I mean in theory I was always open to the idea of Peter and MJ not working out for another. As long as that story doesn't come at making MJ look like the bad person and it comes from a believable place, then I am open to it. I am open to an idea that I am not keen on being done well enough that I accept it. To give another example, I don't like the idea of Evil Superman, however written compellingly, like in Tom Taylor's run on Injustice comics, I find it well done.

LIFE STORY is clearly written largely for fans familiar with Spider-Man lore and background. It's not a newbie friendly entry. Like #3 depends on you knowing about Secret Wars for the opening of that to make sense. It's not a definitive take. It's simply Zdarsky's own story and approach, and it's valid for an AU to do that. At the end of the day, there's Spider-Girl and RYV showing Peter as a loving, caring, devoted dad. Having one where he's a deadbeat isn't going to tip the scales.
    this ^

stupidcbrstupidwordmininumantilaconicbrevityisthes oulofwityoumothereffers
    troo fan or death

Spectacular Member

I´ve been loving this series so far and since my favourite decade is the 80s I was really hyped for this issue.

Unfortunately a couple of things made my feel like this was the weakest one.

Example, Peter is what, 37 in this issue?
    He sounds like he's 50 or something.

Of course he should be slowing down but at 37 you can still be in excellent shape especially I´d imagine, if you have super powers.

Another example and this is the thing that bothers me, why is he so miserable all time?
    I mean he basically fulfilled his life long dream, be married to a woman he loves and be a father while managing his personal and professional life.

Yes there's May but come on...why on earth would that be enough for him to be miserable all the time?

MJ comes out of this issue (heck this series) as an amazing woman that did everything to make Peter happy and he just mopes, runs away and eventually makes her leave with the kids?

It´s a shame because the family setup was a really nice one and I just don't think there are enough reasons for Peter to act the way he does without coming off as depressing, moping old guy who doesn't give a s*** about his wife and kids.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    It´s a shame because the family setup was a really nice one and I just don't think there are enough reasons for Peter to act the way he does without coming off as depressing, moping old guy who doesn't give a s*** about his wife and kids.
    That might be a side-effect of Zdarsky taking a dramatic approach. It's certainly case that this is a Spider-Man story that doesn't have a lot of laughs. I mean even in issue #1, Peter's a pretty serious guy there.

In any case, Peter being a distant deadbeat dad is an avenue that hasn't been done in Spider-Man stories. Assuming they survive they will be in their 30s by the time Issue #6 comes along. The nearest example is Spidey X in which an AU version of Mayday (i.e. AU to regular Mayday...AU of an AU I know) has Mayday living with a widower Peter and has a distant relationship with him. Then she finds Peter having a kind of "deepest desire fantasy" and finds out that it's a fantasy where he married Gwen and Mayday is horrified by the implication that her father never loved her mother enough and never wanted her. I felt that was a good way to deal with the Peter prefers Gwen over MJ claim that some fans hold on to, taking that and putting it from the perspective that would get the audience to condemn Peter for having that. It's always the kids who level the scales at the end.

Obviously the next three issues will deal with his relationship with his kids and Peter trying to find some measure of redemption for not being there for them when it counted. Especially if one or both those kids have superpowers. My feeling is that Benjy will become Spider-Man in the last two issues, and stand-in and represent the "Ultimate Spider-Man" continuity and then in the second or last issue, he dies while Miles becomes Spider-Man after that. The most horrifying and awful tragedy to await Peter is the death of one of his children, and he lost his unborn child at the end of the 2nd Clone Saga. So maybe that could be a direction Zdarsky will go especially since one of the kids is named Benjamin and the second clone saga ended with the deaths of Ben Reilly and the kidnapping of Peter/MJ's unborn child.

BANNED

Obviously the next three issues will deal with his relationship with his kids and Peter trying to find some measure of redemption for not being there for them when it counted. Especially if one or both those kids have superpowers. My feeling is that Benjy will become Spider-Man in the last two issues, and stand-in and represent the "Ultimate Spider-Man" continuity and then in the second or last issue, he dies while Miles becomes Spider-Man after that. The most horrifying and awful tragedy to await Peter is the death of one of his children, and he lost his unborn child at the end of the 2nd Clone Saga. So maybe that could be a direction Zdarsky will go especially since one of the kids is named Benjamin and the second clone saga ended with the deaths of Ben Reilly and the kidnapping of Peter/MJ's unborn child.
    The Goblin is featured on the 90s variant of Life Story#4 so we're definitely getting a take on Revelations, the conclusion of the Clone Saga. Perhaps Norman kills Benjamin and abducts Claire, with her being trained and raised to be a surrogate Osborn with an existing grudge against her father for causing her brother's death and not being there for her and their mother.

Spectacular Member

Oh and Bagley continues to show why he is my favourite spider-man artist ever.

Amazing art

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    I´ve been loving this series so far and since my favourite decade is the 80s I was really hyped for this issue.

Unfortunately a couple of things made my feel like this was the weakest one.

Example, Peter is what, 37 in this issue?
    He sounds like he's 50 or something.

Of course he should be slowing down but at 37 you can still be in excellent shape especially I´d imagine, if you have super powers.

Another example and this is the thing that bothers me, why is he so miserable all time?
    I mean he basically fulfilled his life long dream, be married to a woman he loves and be a father while managing his personal and professional life.

Yes there's May but come on...why on earth would that be enough for him to be miserable all the time?

MJ comes out of this issue (heck this series) as an amazing woman that did everything to make Peter happy and he just mopes, runs away and eventually makes her leave with the kids?

A lot of Peter’s moodiness and abandonment of MJ reminds me of the “I am the Spider” period in the 90s. It definitely is not out of character for Peter to act this way but it’s a shame when he has kids. However, I feel a lot of it could be blamed on the symbiote affecting his mind and clouding is judgement. I think if we had 2 issues per decade this could have been more clearly established to make Peters behavior a victim to the symbiote as opposed to being his fault completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    A lot of Peter’s moodiness and abandonment of MJ reminds me of the “I am the Spider” period in the 90s. It definitely is not out of character for Peter to act this way but it’s a shame when he has kids. However, I feel a lot of it could be blamed on the symbiote affecting his mind and clouding is judgement. I think if we had 2 issues per decade this could have been more clearly established to make Peters behavior a victim to the symbiote as opposed to being his fault completely.
    2 issues per decade would have been nice or just more pages per issue
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

A note on Aunt May's 'preference' for Gwen over MJ in Life Story #3: people with Alzheimers often revert to their older memories and feelings. The newest are the first to go. So I don't think we can May's comments as a bias toward Gwen. It's just the result of her mind not being able to access post Gwen-memories at that particular moment.